Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

I don't think it'd be that hard for a competent organization to show up and produce a decent engine in year one. And yet here we have Honda scaring away all potential manufacturers.

And McLaren signed a contract to 2024.* loving lol.

* yes, I know any contract can be broken but they had Mercedes engines and jumped for Honda who hadn't been involved since the early 90s for gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

It was still unquestionably the right decision given the information they had at the time. Finding a new manufacturer partner in an era that's heavily tilted toward manufacturers, and one that was willing to invest hundreds of millions of dollars, was a huge coup. No one could've foreseen how bad Honda would be.

By your own admission and the rules there was absolutely no way Honda could've been competitive given the development rules and the fact they were starting from scratch and who they were competing with (i.e. existing and competing manufacturers). It was a great coup for nostalgia, but in reality Mercedes had a 2 year head start. Hell, for all the poo poo Red Bull gave Renault they were still way ahead of the curve compared to Honda.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

Dear god, please don't :ohdear:

Too late. :smug:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

Yeah, no, I didn't say that. Everyone knew there'd be a learning curve, no one knew they'd be grossly incompetent four years later. You are grossly underestimating the importance of being a manufacturer team.

Well yeah, you did. There's no way Honda had the legal wiggle room to develop their power units to be even remotely competitive - competency aside. The question is whether or not McLaren would've been financially better off by being a second placed customer team to a works team or with whatever payoff they're getting from Honda for being a former powerhouse relegated to a midfield laughing stock.

GramCracker posted:

Lmbo you sonnovabitch :argh:

<3

Theophany fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 24, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

I literally didn't, don't be this guy.

The question is whether it's better to try to win and fail or to not try at all and be content with mediocrity. Is it surprising at all that they went with the former?

Sure, ok, well it's easier to be critical in hindsight. I was really excited about a McLaren Honda partnership when it was announced, but when you have two former WDCs and objectively poo poo hot drivers and you're cruising in the midfield there has to be a point at which you think "we done screwed up". The fact they're still with Honda this far in boggles the mind, whatever financial backing they bring to the table. I'd have been on my knees begging for Mercedes to supply engines by Melbourne last season.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I have an Audi TT roadster 180, 5v turbo 1.8l. Perfect for country roads

Noice. I dont have a drop top, so I have to rely on dropping the windows when I approach a tunnel to get a load on.

wicka posted:

Again - is it better to try to win and fail, or to give up on winning entirely and accept mediocrity? McLaren are not going to rise to the heights they once were as a Mercedes customer, that's just a fact. I seriously doubt any new manufacturers are coming into the sport. So why would they do anything other than stick with Honda, unless their very existence is on the line? And lord knows we're nowhere near that point yet, especially now that Brown (maybe Boullier?) has heavily hinted that Ojjeh and the Bahrainis are willing to inject cash into the team.

Yeah, I get what you mean. It's tough because McLaren have been a traditional 'privateer' team. If only they could harness the developments of their road car division. I get the impression that they could build at least as good as Honda at this point and would probably be a better branding opportunity, but provide nowhere near as much financial backing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gret posted:

So Giovinazzi is stepping in for Wehrlein for the rest of the weekend.

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/845438475541233665

Ok I'm loving waking up now. I love that little Italian jockey.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
loving Sky Sports F1 is hosed on NowTV for some reason.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

Morning all. It's being shown on Sky sports 1 as well.

You had one loving job Sky.

Thundercunts.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Martin Brundle's ballsack is bursting out of his chinos. Here we go Sky Sports.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

I thought a crash had happened turns out Whirrline isn't fit enough to drive the new cars.

He wasn't fit enough to drive the old ones.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Pay Symonds: That is a spring.

Top quality insight. Cheers dude.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

I have never seen the pit lane that full with people, liberty must have drastically increased the number of paddock passes or way more people have bought them than usual.

Yeah it looks absolutely rammed in there. That can only be a positive sign for interest in F1.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

I will grudgingly admit that Lewis' hair actually looks good in this interview and less like someone glued road kill to his head.

Looks like he's had a hair transplant?

Bit being disparaging, I'm considering it myself.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Carth Dookie posted:

Accept your fate chrome dome.

:negative:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Carth Dookie posted:

Post the cue ball. :colbert:

It's a full head of hair, just the V of my widows peak is more of a W. Pathetic vanity really.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Christ how much of a loving cheque does Red Bull cut Sky for the non-stop handjobs?

:lol:

Man it must loving suck to be on Stroll's mechanic team this year. Those guys are going to be working non-stop rebuilding those wrecks.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Right, let's see what the actual pecking order is this year. No more shenanigans.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Gotta wait till Q2 for that mate.

Good point: let's see how poo poo McLaren really are then!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
:lol: mclaren

E: 1500quid, you called it brother.

I think these V6 engine noises have developed their own character. They're growing on me. Unlike my hair.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 25, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Merc 1 sec ahead. My finger is on the trigger.

Carth Dookie posted:

Lance Stroll is 18th and slowest.

:laffo: I'm sure we'll be hearing that a lot.

"There can be only one... at the back"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Umm, those front shots of Ocon in the Force India should be marked as NSFW.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Come on, piss it down. Let's see Nando in Q3 so we can all suck a poo poo for mocking McLollen.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

Stroll might possibly be the worst driver of the modern era.

Nah, that's Max Chilton.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Or Will Stevens.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Vettel possibly sandbagging in Q2. Oh bring on Q3 baby!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Palmer being classy by trashing the car.

What a loving babby.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

all-Rush mixtape posted:

You guys are only now getting the Sir Jackie Stewart with a CGI body ad?

Only bonus of Sky F1 - no ads.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
3 tenths. Holy gently caress.

Lol @ the Bogan

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Man the speed that Red Bull was carrying when t lost grip. Must be pretty scary in fairness to Ricky Bobby.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Sky F1 commentary team ripping Horner.

Also, the only team principal who has time to shoot the poo poo with a commentary team... says a lot.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

It's been overwhelmingly Christian Horner.

He's more a PR rent-a-gob than a team principal tbh

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Noice Seb

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
poo poo I don't want to count chickens or anything but hell this season might not actually be a snooze fest

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I hope he gets a full time seat next year, if he doesn't that's criminal.

Agreed.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

somebody on Facebook posted:

Australia is not real. It's a hoax, made for us to believe that Britain moved over their criminals to someplace. In reality, all these criminals were loaded off the ships into the waters, drowning before they could see land ever again. It's a coverup for one of the greatest mass murders in history, made by one of the most prominent empires.

Australia does not exist. All things you call "proof" are actually well fabricated lies and documents made by the leading governments of the world. Your Australian friends? They're all actors and computer generated personas, part of the plot to trick the world.

If you think you've ever been to Australia, you're terribly wrong. The plane pilots are all in on this, and have in all actuality only flown you to islands close nearby - or in some cases, parts of South America, where they have cleared space and hired actors to act out as real Australians.

Australia is one of the biggest hoaxes ever created, and you have all been tricked. Join the movement today, and make it known that they have been deceived. Make it known, that this has all just been a cover-up. The things these "Australian" says to be doing, all these swear words and actions based on alcoholism, MDMA and bad decisions, are all ways to distract you from the ugly truth that is one of the greatest genocides in history. 162,000 people was said to have been transported to this imaginary land during a mere 80 years, and they are all long dead by now. They never reached that promised land.

Tell the truth. Stand up for what is right. Make sure to spread the world - Australia is not real. It's a codeword for the cold blooded murder of more than a hundred thousand people, and it is not okay. We will not, accept this.

Stand up for the ones who died. Let it be known, that Australia does not exist.

#AustraliaisNOTreal

Shame, I thought that quali was good too.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Palmer was over 107%. Good lord he is a loving duffer.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

Beautiful whinging afterwards as well

Yeah that was some pretty top drawer bitching. :lol:

I wonder how much money Stroll brings to Williams and whether or not Claire did her maths correctly. If the little tyke writes off a car each race weekend, what is the net income he brings?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

Torn between hyping over ferrari or predicting they'll gently caress it up and remain failarri

Strategy kings :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

Grosjean seems like he was born to be a Ferrari driver.

He is his generation's Jean Alesi.

• Locked thread