Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sugary drinks!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Should have gotten Inoue. :)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-gasly-austin-race-super-formula-963248/

Seriously? You're within 0.5 points of a title for a relatively major national series. Honda gently caress off and put him in the car for the Super Formula finale.

Formula 1 should respect its feeder races, and allow Gasly to finish out his Super Formula season. Nothing he can do in a single F1 race will be meaningful to him or Toro Rosso. Either the series that earn super license points are meaningful, or the whole setup should be changed. Pulling a driver out when they have a chance of winning the seires is basically saying Super Formula doesn't matter to F1, which is a poo poo attitude.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 8, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tsaedje posted:

The meaningful thing he can do for Toro Rosso is allow them to have two drivers in their cars for Austin

Seat warming single race F1 drivers are not really in short supply. Kubica, DiResta, and Palmer are already familiar with current year cars, and there are some young drivers who could be given a spin without too much problems without conflicting management vs sponsor issues.

It's going to be Gasly, I just think it's poor form for F1 to treat Super Formula like that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Check out the delte between Alonso and Stoffel. Something went really right for Alonso or really wrong for Stoffel.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wicka posted:

Nando has aero upgrades that Stoff doesn't have

Did not know that, that's a major upgrade in lap time. I thought Mclaren had turned more towards 2018.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Looking back at the race, it's obvious Ferrari are having problems with fuel usage. They simply can't generate the same power as Merc without using up extra fuel. As soon as they switch to fuel savings, they fall off some sort of power cliff. We got Kimi's comment on this at the end of the race when he was asked to switch to a lower power mode and complained, and I bet the same thing happened to Vettel earlier. It could be heat related, but Kimi didn't seem to have any more than the usual problems following other cars closely.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

I think the biggest thing holding EVs back is true rapid charging, as in < 15 minutes for a full charge.

Lithium based batteries of any type won't ever be able to do this, no matter how they are formulated or made, it's a limitation of lithium itself. Much more likely is charging a car to 60% of capacity in <10 minutes, which should be manageable for even long trips. Overnight trickle charge or at work trickle charge will take car of most anything else.

If we develop some type of super capacitor based system, then such rapid charging is possible, though the connection type needed to dump that much energy in such a short time would be a huge nightmare to design and maintain.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

Remember when Mikko Hirvonen was being hyped up as the next big thing to take the fight to Loeb and as a worthy successor of Gronholm? lmao

That was such a terrible time for WRC. Mikko was a talentless jobber, and Jari Matti showing up and owning him in the same car was the death knell for his career. Ugh, I couldn't watch WRC anymore after that season, Seb Loeb was just so indescribably boring. Middling WRC driver with the ability to pick a target pace and stick to it backed by a team willing to spend whatever it took to make a car that was fast and reliable on any type of course. It was like watching paint dry.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There was a demo of the 360 camera earlier, I posted the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQZP1AInPA

It's not super high res, and I doubt we will get user selectable viewpoints right away, but with digital streaming it should be possible to offer that type of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Unfetered One posted:

His bent nose always bothered me tbh. It bothers my OCD, not like Are Nige's immaculate mustache.

Never look at Harrison Ford then.

• Locked thread