Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

hnnnngh this is great

I forget how ridiculous the wheel size discrepancy was back in the day between front and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

lmao

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Aqualung posted:

It was striking how bad the F1 investor presentation was.

By far the worst of all the Liberty Media presentations. Moreover, Chase Carey came off as a traditional TV broadcasting guy with no real vision for the sport. He spent 20 minutes describing "opportunities" in the most vague manner I've ever witnessed. Statements like "fans spend full days experiencing F1 events so there are opportunities to engage them", "we can be better online", "other sports have significantly more sponsorship than us so there are opportunities to grow", etc. without speaking about any specific visions or initiatives. I have no doubt that the sport will grow naturally since engagement online and through social media is still so poo poo right now, but this guy does not seem to have any long-term vision for the sport. Finally, he spoke about the engine change and said "there's going to be a change in the engines, 2020 or 2021 maybe? I don't know?" - he certainly doesn't seem to have a unified view of where things are going.

Maybe Chase Carey is just an awful speaker? I don't know what the answer is, but I think the entire room was a bit shocked by how terrible this was.

This is the kind of poo poo that every executive who is tangentially in charge of something but really knows nothing about it spews at these grand meetings. You have to keep it relatively simple so everyone can understand but you also have to present some sort of basic vision. There are people that are good at presenting the vision and there are others who are bad or know nothing about it that end up like this. I'm sure someone, somewhere is working on all those things, "brand engagement" and other garbage buzzword poo poo actually does add up financially for many things. I know I'd buy more F1 poo poo if there was more F1 poo poo around to buy.

Since he's probably in charge of several other businesses that are more important (to him or Liberty really) he's not going to know all the specifics. Investors have already made up their minds I think; somethign like this isn't going to change it unless it's monumental.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Also these conferences and meetings literally exist so that in the evening happens and all the talks are done you can do real business, and also get wasted and gently caress each other.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I bought a Canadian military artic runway worker jacket and literally just wear jeans cause my core body temperature is loving insane when I wear it.

Post that jacket, that sounds cool as hell

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

It really isn't. Imagine washed out generic green jacket that makes you look 150lbs larger than you really are and feels like it's lined with carpet or industrial matting. The only reason I got it was cause the thermostat went on the Scirocco when it was -30C out and it made me want to die.

oh lol, well the idea is neat.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

oh lol, well the idea is neat.
/
/
/

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

NtotheTC posted:

Actually I suspect Domenicalli hasn't stopped laughing since June

I would be, poo poo.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Rossi probably could've won races in F1, everyone forgets he got his start in karting. I think a title would've been a bridge too far though.

He did better lap times than current drivers when he tested the Ferrari those few times right? It would take years to be a title contender but I bet if he had just quit MotoGP right then and done that he could have gotten there.

Not that he should have quit, mind. I'm glad he stayed in MotoGP.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

freeranger posted:

Not as dreamy as Alonso

are you kidding me I'm gay now because of this

Aqualung posted:

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think your understanding of shareholder meetings and analyst presentations is quite accurate. These meetings generally have a pretty important place in the investment decision making process since it's pretty rare that analysts and shareholders are given a view into how the execs think about the business. There are many factors that go into the investment decision of course, but I would not be so quick to discount this one.

Chase was speaking to a room of analysts and gave 0 information. Everyone else who was presenting some other Liberty Media property (e.g. CEO of SiriusXM, Livenation, etc.) gave a very clear vision of their business and it's evolution. They provided a clear overview of how they understand their market, a view into how they want to drive revenue and profit expansion and their specific understanding of what key value drivers are for their business - at the very least they gave us an understanding of the exec vision. The analysts in the room were confused and started whispering to each other about how poo poo the F1 presentation was, at least the ones around me.

Chase is not engaged, and he doesn't seem like he gives a gently caress. He also doesn't have any other role at Liberty Media so like someone else mentioned, he might just be looking to go back to Fox. Either way, I'm going to at least slightly change my holdings of liberty media stocks post meeting to weight it towards other properties in their group.

No need to apologize, I'm glad for the correction. I obviously didn't watch and I hold a lot of disdain for these kinds of meetings because I have to attend them every now and then as part of going to industry conferences and they're always so full of poo poo. Shame that he was so bad.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

track day bro! posted:

Sorruy I'm too busy re-evaluateing my life because I use a teflon griddle pan to cook my steak and accordieing to this thread this means you might as well be eateing hambubger hleper

You eat boiled horse penis op. It's ok to be British.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Whoever doesn't like Imola is wrong. I don't care that it (was) dangerous.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

McGuinty posted:

Carmen Jorda.

Jamaica and Roma

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

track day bro! posted:

I'm not going to read that post.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

More like DoctorStronzo

Lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bernie sucked and brought us a lot of garbage races and tracks but I don't care if liberty has to go through some dumb tech and advertising bullshit if it means I get to watch F1 on whatever device I want and the racing is good.

If some idiot television exec pays a gajillion dollars to put little camera knobs so that 6 dorks with helmet sized headsets can watch grosjean cook his brakes and slam in to a wall in VR then that's good. It (hopefully) means more money to invest in good things. Take advantage of overpaid nerds as much as possible imo.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Stroll went from a comedy act to a watchable driver I think. He's got plenty of time (and dads money) to actually become good. I kinda hope he does.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

learnincurve posted:

VR is going to be like the 3DS where after a while people realise that as awesome as it is it actually gives you massive headaches, and they end up having to bring out a second device or expensive app that allows you to watch it normally and can move the camera on a touch screen.

Agreed. VR, much like AR, has plenty of industrial and scientific use cases. It could be good for consumers at some point but it has to get cheaper and less bulky.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

He's already good. Try watching the races.

Bruh

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

He was poo poo the first few races, let's get real. I guess I should've said "great", not good.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Why anyone gives a poo poo about Stroll when Ocon and Sainz are the actually good young drivers is beyond me

Yeah this, really. Stroll has more stupid storylines I think; he's easier to joke about so he gets more conversation.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The halo isn't liberty's fault though.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

HJB posted:

So you're saying Ferrari are insanely good?

They are.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Vettel could have won the championship this season but he could end up third due only to his own mistakes and stupidity

Well his team certainly didn't help, see Ferrari ????-2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

The team had nothing to do with Vettel's actions in Baku and Singapore

Of course not, but let's not pretend that there arent multiple occasions every year when tire strategy fucks everything up for no good reason at Ferrari.

• Locked thread