Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That's a well written OP Matt, good stuff. Maybe we can add in some funny descriptions of teams and drivers, that's was always good.

Well, I bought my tickets yesterday. I have roaming grandstand for the Thursday and am thinking of taking enough camera gear to make a video comparing the stands.

I was at an OP Shop at the weekend and I found these under a thing. I would have bought them but I can't be hosed building them and once their done what am I going to do with them.. but they do look cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the 14B is the active-suspension beast that took Mansell to the title?

So the 13B is the same car without the cool toys?

Oh, Aussies with Foxtel.. the 24 hour F1 channel is in full swing. Spent much of last night watching Senna eat up Prost and track marshals doing hilarious stuff that would never fly now.

1500quidporsche posted:

Christ alive I'd buy those for $70

Is Tamiya good? I don't know anything about models, but it could be cool. Are they worth more than the lady is asking? They're right near where I live, I'm sure I can go back and they'll still be there.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Burning of the oil.

Just listening to a podcast now and it's interesting. So the deal is.. oil is there and it's full of calories and it's not as dense as the fuel itself but it's still combustible. There is discussion around some teams burning oil sort of like a fuel additive, including some oil into the fuel that gets squirted on top of the cylinder. Because oil isn't as closely regulated as the fuel, it's possible an additive is being put into the oil to make it a better fuel. This hasn't been confirmed but this ex-Benetton guy is talking about it, he's also saying they've gotta budget for about 5 kilos of oil to be burnt during the race (all race engines burn oil) and if you can make sure that 5 kilos is gone then that's a weight advantage. Ideally you'd want to burn oil to the point that that sump (or whatever the gently caress an F1 car has, the oil reservoir) is empty by the end of the race. It's a thin line because you go too far and you have a loving catastrophic failure (I'm sure an engine doesn't seize at 300kph, it more explodes) and not far enough and you're leaving time sloshing around in your oil sump.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Not really. You can Google and find Renault requesting further clarification on the rules around burning oil and some other snippets. The podcast I am listening to it where they go into it in some detail is from this site:
https://www.formula1blog.com/

It's a nice agreeable American asking an English engineer about F1 stuff, I found it quite pleasant to listen to.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

eriddy posted:

How does a company like Ferrari allocate so much money to F1? Do they set aside a bigger percentage than other firms or are they way more profitable than im guessing? anyway im excited about the season and look forward to this thread

Well.. firstly Ferrari isn't Ferrari, Ferrari is a brand owned by Fiat. If you are American Fiat might not mean a lot to you, but to the rest of the world it sure does. Fiat are a huge Italian car manufacturer that produce a lot of domestic cars, so Ferrari's purse is actually the wallet of a big manufacturer just like Mercedes and Renault.

Ferrari doesn't spend the most in F1, well actually, in a thing I just read they topped the tables in 2016. But it's pretty close (Merc apparently spent a bit less, RBR less again) and I know from history other teams like McLaren have spent more in the past for specific years.

Why is there so much money floating around? Is that more the question? How is this series doing as it does when NASCAR sponsorship is slim? It's the World Drivers Championship and I think there are few other sports where a single series can seriously legitimately claim that. With Liberty Media's recent purchase even the USA, the last real bastion of F1 indifference, is getting onboard.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hehe i dunno maybe heaps of Americans are cruising around in bambinos. I hope so :D

fun fact: Tony's first car was a 500 bambino that my mother bought brand new in the 60s. It had four on the floor and rear wheel drive.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ferrari aren't a little boutique car maker like Koenigsegg or something. Apparently after the Fiat buyout some complicated thing called Ferrari NV was created, but that's still owned by the parent Fiat group. Ferrari is the 'sports' brand of Fiat, like you have Fiat domestic cars and then sporty ones and then at the end of that spectrum is the Ferrari brand. All the money goes back to Fiat, or the Fiat Chrysler Auto group which is then owned by an investment company called Exor. Exor posted a 2015 revenue of 136 billion euro.

Ferrari is owned by a very large conglomerate which includes a huge and well known domestic car brand. They have buku money.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

eriddy posted:

My understanding was that the businesses in those conglomerates are financially independent, with their own P&L's and everything else. Regardless, I didn't know Ferrari was part of Fiat. It would make sense that even if Ferrari is completely independent from Fiat, Fiat subsidizes enough to make having a competitive F1 team feasible.

hehe, European and particularly Italian accounting law.. do you really want to go there? You get the idea, it's probably as you say to some degree but Ferrari's parents are rich fuckers that let their little poo poo race in F1 even when he sucks for multiple years in a row.

julian assflange posted:

Don't mention the Marlboro money!

ha, another thing if you're a F1 noob is once upon a time it was ok to put tobacco advertising on cars and oh boy did they ever do that and everyone made a fuckton of money. So much so that probably a good percentage of movers and shakers in the paddock are just managing investments following that time.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe yep I just watched that too! The extended onboard with Senna was sublime. Also the pass for the win was exactly the same except Prost shitcunted him on the way through. He wouldnt get away with that poo poo now

edit: adelaide!

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Senna did lunge like gently caress at Prost at turn 1 in Adelaide. If Prost hadnt responded they would have come together right there. Crazy bastards, both of them, great to watch

edit: Prost is such a bitch

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 21, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Now, but according to Wiki it only split from FCA (Fiat Chrysler Auto) in Oct 2015. From 1988 to 2015 Ferrari was 90 percent owned by Fiat. But I was wrong, FCA has nothing to do with the brand new Ferrari 'NV'.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

poty posted:

Also, a better title given the actual content is "F1 2017: A thin excuse for jealous foreigners to bash Britain"

Hi, poty. I can tell you with 100% certainty I hate loving England. Everything about it and it's culture rub me the wrong way and I would happily set fire to the whole loving thing.

However, as I said in my usual verbose way, if you are a fan of Formula One then you have to admit and understand Lewis is an amazing driver and either over one lap or on the Sunday he is easily one of the most competitive on the grid. You could put Lewis in any car and he will drive it to the absolute limit and leave people wondering how he did it. This is totally separate from who he is personally and where he comes from. It is for me and it should be for any real fan. When the popularity contest poo poo stops all we are left with is how they drive and I can't say I've ever watched Lewis drive a race car and thought he was a numpty.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That write up of teams and drivers is good.

I would write a little more about Seb. You just say 'four time WDC' like it's what he is eating for breakfast. Ok, Sebastian is the most successful driver on the grid with four WDCs. You should probably then also mention 4 WDCs isn't something that happens often, in fact there are only 2 people in the entire history of the world that have a few more. When RBR had their glory days and established themselves as a serious F1 contender, Sebastian was the golden boy and won all the things, multiple times over. Yes, he is now at Ferrari and alongside another WDC in Kimi, but neither Kimi or Lewis know success as Sebastian does. Although he looks older than his years at 29 he's got a lot of driving left in him.

He's also pretty screechy at times but to be honest that's not inconsistent with German goldenboys. Schumy had some epic outbursts. They just take the poo poo super seriously and when they feel someone is dicking them they're not doing the English stiff-upper lip.. they do the European let every oval office know about it because gently caress them and their bullshit.

Ha, ok perhaps not all of that, but for noobs to understand Seb isn't another wannabe, he's the most accomplished driver in F1.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No, comon. You don't have to like Seb just like Lewis, but you can't deny he is a poo poo hot F1 driver.

The part about McLaren is cool because it highlights how sticking around for a long rear end time in F1 is actually really hard and pretty much nobody can keep it up other than Ferrari. Yes, Ferrari are annoying how they go on about how important they are to the sport and how much them being there since the start counts for something, until you really understand even someone like McLaren can't keep it up.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

djssniper posted:

You have to understand the dynamics of F1, see Brawn F1, it all cycles about

Not with Ferrari. The red cars are always near the front and always have been. I know some of you guys will be able to dig up examples where Ferrari sucked, but they'd don't oscillate as is being suggested. Red Bull and Merc are modern marvels, but Ferrari has been where they are for a long rear end time. It's just loving hard to do, if it's not the chassis it's the engine and if it's not the car it's the drivers. For that long always being a force to consider is no small feat.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Remember the time Lewis Hamilton lost the WDC to Nico Rosberg? Very poor showing.

Hehe, yep. Although we all know what really happened there and then Nico confirmed it with the greatest bitch move in F1 history of not defending your title to go and have a baby instead.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Mansell is a dumbass but he's much, much, better than the other 2 and could actually hold his own against the greats if the car was right.

yeah Mansell is the real deal and I kinda love him for how English he is. I just like the way he talks and how you can wait for his answer or go gently caress yourself because I'm Nigel bloody Mansell. Watching the season reviews the last few days of Mansell's era has given me even more respect for him. He was generally known as 'when Nigel gets in a mood, watch out because he's the bravest and perhaps quickest driver on the grid'

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 22, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Feeling a bit anonymous? I would if I were you.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Actually Jim Clarke was hot poo poo and so was Damon's Dad.

Beacause I'm a F1 fan and not just a shitposter about hair or someshit. Mansel was a kickass F1 driver.

Pretty much horrible in any other way but as I've been saying that is kind of a thing with some really good F1 drivers.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
sa'll good man, what is some nebulous bullshit that doesn't matter is what forums users Norns and whoever that guy is thinks of Tony Montana

What is fact is Nigel Mansel was a great driver and did more for British F1 pride than someone like Martin Brundle ever did

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Keep going Dubs! One day someone might notice you're there!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ok that was really pretty funny :)

edit: thats the biggest smile ive seen on Nando for a while..

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
nah

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I dont think its going to rain today.

My seats are amazing :)

Oh the sound. The sound! They are much louder. Less muffled too. Not the v10 scream but its much more guttural and violent

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You hear the Honfa changing gear like nothing else. Its almost like it grinds every change. No other car sounds anything like it

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Its really pronouced. I can probably even capture it just in a phone video

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, its spitting. Its going to rain!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Seb just did a flyer. The tension is incredible.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Carth Dookie posted:

There's 32 people in the GP prediction league. There aren't even that many posters in this thread. :psyduck:

Some good team names in there too.

One of them is my girlfriend :)

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Great so far! Hot as gently caress in the stands!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Omfg

Literally having heart attack

Best gp ive been to all time

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Geez, good predictions. I got about 50 points, of course I was for a Vettel win and Lewis second but Riccy hosed me along with some others.

Great race. F1 is lot about context, its a great race for fans that have been following for years and understand what this could mean. Casuals that just switch it on and want to see more overtakes, F1 isn't for casuals. There is lots of series racing and hey those stadium trucks are amazing, go watch those.

Man, it was almost unbearable in the stands. Spitting with rain now and then but in the direct sun hot as gently caress, so it was very steamy. Felt like being in Thailand or Vietnam, not Melbourne.

I took this about 10 mins before quali with my phone

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
.. i used the join link again and it fixed itself

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 27, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fanatic posted:

Wait a minute, there's two 'The Worst Thread' leagues. One with 27 people and the other with 40 people.

There's a guy in the 27 person one who has a score of 105, in which case he would top your list if he was in the right league :v:

Yeah there is, I was in both. Just use the link in the OP to join the bigger one, that's what I did and left the smaller.

I dunno if Matt created multiple or whatever, but yeah there were two for me too.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

A 2003 Corolla S ain't no Celica GT-4 mate.

lol

All of the talkers should listen to the 5 Live Review with Seb where he says the truths. What should we take from this? Nothing.

Lewis couldn't gently caress off. We've had a thing where Lewis qualis the car up the front and then fucks off. We see the gap increasing and just inwardly sigh that once again Lewis is going to gently caress off.

He didn't gently caress off and couldn't gently caress off. The first stint until the first stop was proper tense as gently caress F1 and that's where the race was won.

People that want to see more overtakes, there was Supercar races every day. Lots of 'rubbing is racing' bullshit for you to watch.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
lol 'our' generation.

The only thing I would have in common with most of the posters here is that I post about F1 in a usually lovely thread

It's the usual SA Forums thing that I should just give less of a gently caress because if I actually met most of these people for real I wouldn't give them the time of day

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Under 25s living home and wondering what you're going to be when you grow up?

edit: hence why being on the 'outer' actually is a good thing

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So in Melbourne after the 3 lead cars go through to parc ferme the rest of the field lines up in the pit road. After the ceremony all the people on the main straight in front of the podium can just walk right up to the cars on the other side of the fence and take pictures. I took these with the only lens I had on me; a prime.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Now you just have to admit Ferrari are interesting and red is a cool colour and whoa.. we got another one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dubs posted:

I remember another German nationalist

You needed help dealing with that one! Perhaps Haas can mail McLaren some Ferrari parts?

• Locked thread