Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Danny Ric is not dying on any loving poo poo beach regardless of what Horner orders him to do

If they ask us to do that poo poo AGAIN, Danny just come home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

You need to know some history to get that. It's like Dubs sorta joke. It's for people that don't live with their parents

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Even I got bored here

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
To say that about someone that out-qualified you on more than one occasion, when there wasn't a drat thing wrong with either car, is a window into just how entitled and abhorrent LH really is. His kinda spaced out persona in Australia, talking quietly like he is loving levitating above us all is also infuriating. gently caress LH, great opponent for Ferrari to put in his place.

edit: Merc please give him everything he needs and more. Bill him as number 1. Design the tub around his rear end. Certainly make sure his engine holds together. Everything. I want LH to be clear that when he loses this WDC he can't blame the car again. I think if LH had to parse he might not be the best of all time he might just have a stroke and die

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 29, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I checked and I reckon Nico out-qualified Ham 5 times in 2016 not counting Lewis's mechanical failures.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn it will you fucks just LET ME DREAM

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yes. It's not series racing, the teams build the cars. In Indycar there is a common chassis that everyone uses (or there was when I last watched) but in F1 the cars are built by the teams. Where this doesn't always happen is the engine, because building an F1 engine is a ridiculously complicated and expensive thing that a massive company like Honda can't get right. So there are only a few people that make engines, Ferrari, Merc and Renault power the grid.

But because there is a lot of aerodynamic loading on F1 cars and that results in huge performance gains, the individual teams making their chassis and the wings and wing details still have a lot of influence over the performance of their car. The Renault and Red Bull both use the Renault engine, but Red Bull have the aerodynamic experience of an particular engineer called Adrian Newey, which means their chassis and resulting aerodynamic package and therefore car is nothing like the Renault.

F1 is a longer burn than a race or a championship. It's about development and momentum and the most prestigious motor racing marques directly competing in both building cars and racing them.

So what is happening (IMO) with RBR is they are at a disadvantage with that customer Renault engine. Renault will never sell their very best engine to you as a customer, their very best engine goes into their own car. So you've got a less than top engine, which means you've gotta try and catch up in other places. The problem with that is your competitors not only build their own engines (with dibs on that super-special config they keep just for themselves) but also arguably have comparable aero and chassis departments.. so you're coming to fight with only one glove done up. Danny and Max are both brilliant drivers but F1 is too serious for that to be enough.

What a long post. I enjoy explaining F1 to noobies sometimes rather than just making jokes with the regulars :)

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Dude don't take offense to this but if your post is longer than 5 sentences you should take maybe like ten minutes after writing it and then come back and consider whether it's worth posting. It's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Why? Everyone long posts sometimes and I probably do it more than most. Just because I'm talking about stuff all the fans already know doesn't mean it's not worth posting for noobies.

You'll pick up when I'm in lecture mode, I'll start saying super obvious stuff like who make engines. That post isn't intended for you or any of the regulars. I can stop it if it really shits you all, but I do like talking in full paragraphs now and then.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If its going from 'we can hire from anywhere in Europe and just fly them to the UK and put them up in a house and away we go' to 'everyone that isn't English has to go through working visa poo poo with lead times and restrictions and perhaps importing parts and moving vast piles of money around is a lot more complicated and harder' then the UK will cease to be as important as it currently is in F1.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/3/Director%27s_Cut__Australia_2017.html

I really like the summary edits FOM do for each race. They often don't get to YouTube so you've gotta click the dumb link.

Maybe start a list of these in the op for reference?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SPACE HOMOS posted:

The best part of the F1 season this year is that Bill Burr is watching it and always has something to say about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlDQAlgqyjk&t=2169s

also oh poo poo I listen to this weekly and when he brought up F1 and started talking excitedly, it was the best

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
oh yeah JV did music like Lewis. I've never heard any. Lets have a look..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVn5EvRveM

That's.. annoyingly bad. I guess after you've been a WDC you get some hosed ideas in your head like you can do ANYTHING

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Just keep in mind the majority of F1 fans that aren't English speaking don't read motorsport.com. Who honestly gives the slightest gently caress about this?

As for Seb talking in Italian on the radio when he wins, we love that poo poo. We love it even more that there is a brit somewhere lovely that they can't understand it

It's also good because BBC and Sky often won't broadcast Italian radio messages because the English audience can't understand them so we get away with saying poo poo

edit: then someone properly European like Seb just switches between Italian and English and German fluently and .. the English complain because they can't understand anything but English. We don't even have to make up jokes

edit2: alonso is another real euro. Ham is an Englishman. It's a pretty simple test, are they bilingual?

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 31, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
aw wicka you know im just having an English dig

I'm saying who gives a gently caress what motorsport.com tells you is the most popular driver. Depends on where you are and when you are

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone loves Alonso. Actually not everyone, my girl doesn't. She did, she thought he was cool and all and flowing hair blah blah, but then there is that doco on Spanish TV about when he left Ferrari. You should all watch it if you haven't, it's really candid and good. It's all in Spanish but there were English subtitles. Anyways she just got this kinda intense, desperate vibe off him. Which is, of course, probably exactly how he was feeling by the end of his time with Ferrari but yeah, she doesn't like him now. Not like Ham hate, but just there is something about his intensity that makes her feel uncomfortable.

But she loves Danny and on the way out of Albert Park on the Saturday I made a joke about keeping the car on the road and she got really lovely and yelled at me. So I dunno wtf, I guess I'm turning her into a proper F1 fan which is to be emotional and irrational and fight cunts when they dis your guy

The McLaren wasn't that bad in Seb's RBR glory days. Anyways ok good and glad we're friends but we're still going to beat you into the ground

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress youre right.

Its current Editor-in-Chief is Charles Bradley, having been appointed to the position of global editorial leader in May 2015. The team’s current roster of leading staff journalists includes Formula 1 Editor Jonathan Noble,[22] MotoGP Editor Oriol Puigdemont,[23] European News Editor Pablo Elizalde,[24] US Editor David Malsher, News Manager Nick DeGroot, NASCAR Editors Lee Spencer and Jim Utter,[25] French Editor Guillaume Navarro, Italian Editor Franco Nugnes,[26] Australian Editor Andrew van Leeuwen,[27] UK Editor Jamie Klein, Russian Editor Aleksander Kabanovsky, Brazilian Editor Felipe Motta, German Editor Stefan Ziegler, Latin-American Editor Jose Roman, Middle East Editor Khodr Rawi,[28][29] Indian Editor Darshan Chokhani,[30] Canadian Editor René Fagnan[31] and Japanese Editor Kunihiko Akai.

Motorsport.com is a lot more international than Tony thought

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd love to say that was amazing by Stroll but it looked like he totally misjudged the braking, dove right to avoid shitcunting the guy in front and with the luck of a son of a billonaire, there wasn't anyone there and he made it through.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Who is that lady? Is that Rosberg?

Nah Rosberg is cool and speaks four languages.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There is only one response to my fans

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That is a cool article. It reads like it's written by an IT guy, it's not as broad as the title suggests. It's interesting though and I had no idea they limited CFD computing power.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just like to think some fat, hairy goon sipping some pear cider let fly with 'and let me tell you about that frog faced gently caress' and Jos being an ex-F1 driver and therefore a hard oval office just threw his loving stein on the ground and it was on

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
At the karting world cup in Sarno, southern Italy, Verstappen Jnr, showed the lightning speed which has made him the youngest man ever to win a seat in Formula One, with Toro Rosso next season. He qualified fastest and comfortably won the pre-final by a few seconds. In the final itself, the red mist descended and Verstappen blew it. Having lost the lead from pole position, on lap two he attempted a kamikaze manoeuvre. The resulting collision broke his painstakingly assembled kart, sending Verstappen out of the race.

In such circumstances, most fathers might offer their teary son a consolatory hug, shoulder pat, or even a few words of encouragement. Not Jos. “I was so upset with him,” Verstappen says over coffee. “I walked away out of the park, and went to the van and started packing the tent down. He was crying like a baby. He was really disappointed. He said: ‘Daddy, we have to go and pick up the chassis because it’s the last race of the day.’ I replied: ‘No, I’m not going. If you want your chassis, you have to go and get it yourself.’

“He looked at me and knew I was angry. He got somebody else to help him put it in the van. Then we left the circuit, and he tried to start speaking to me. I didn’t say a word to him. I said: ‘Don’t speak to me. I’m really fed up with it and disappointed with the way you were racing. Please, don’t speak.’

Some of the narrative around Max is that he is the spoilt brat with the easy ride but I would say the reality is Max is tougher than most people and 90% of the people I know in the world would just loving melt being the son of such a man.

Being Jos's son is probably the same way boot camp is tough so it makes soldiers that don't suck. I have a even more respect for Max now, while other modern parents were asking how their son felt about their career Jos was forging ahead like a viking

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Really? Like supportive good dude with lots of hugs and talking openly about feelings and stuff?

It does make you think.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
haha holy gently caress well done 1500quid. What an avatar

I do hear you, if some teary kid came up to me and was like 'im sorry mister but i been bad and raced bad and dad wont help me put my kart into the van, can you help plz?' I'd help him and then probably shoot a few 'what the gently caress is wrong with you' looks at his old man

edit: oh poo poo bubba was probated for GRAPHICALLY SUGGESTING a rivals.com pun. Be warned motherfuckers, we don't take kindly to that poo poo around here

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't you aussie, 1500? Are you a karter in Melbourne? Do you know about the West Gate Bridge track?

I'd go with Ron because it more illustrates hard work and ethic as opposed to being talented and getting a luck break.

Jos looks like a loving maniac in that picture, complete with the stubble of being up all night drinking hard liquor and beating the poo poo out of people with bad opinions. We could use him here, honestly

edit: Canadian? gently caress i dunno

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

page nearly went past without me posting a ferrari pic. I will do this every time we win

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659F52-ClGk

seb was right there last year, until the merc drove away. if only the gap was somehow lessened..

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

You're going to go apeshit when Ferrari get their first 1-2 of the season, right?

I'm going to poo poo my pants and take a picture and post it here

I bought Damon's book because it was highly recommended and so far it's boring as poo poo. He's just going on about being the son of a legend and I don't really give a gently caress about that, I want war stories and cool things that happened during his career. But I guess it's Damon Hill so I got what I deserved. The Brawn book is apparently just a long interview with Brawn, some people like it and some don't.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

djssniper posted:

Hold on, it's a brand name, divisions are mute in this, it's still a Honda

Nah, I've heard this a couple now. Honda America has nothing to do with Honda Japan. Just like HP was both HPE and HPT (HP Enterprise and HP Technology), they actually had nothing to do with each other. They've recently seperated, HPE is now just HPE and has it's own logo (which is dumb), but for the longest time anyone on the outside saw one 'HP' which was actually two totally separate companies doing totally different things. Go back to where I crap on about the ownership of Ferrari, which is a long and complicated musical chairs. Modern branding is a byzantine maze of theory and intuition and nobody really understand it other than the executive boards.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

djssniper posted:

So if Honda US had a fallout like VW with the emissions issue the brand wouldn't be tarnished? Do US cars have the 'Honda' badge? like I said, news to me

It's like some hardware fault in HP server's range is a HP tech issue but does that effect the business of HPE? Well yeah it does, but not much. The enterprise agreement between HPE and their corporate customers would take that into account, but they're not going to re-sign to someone else because of something HPT did they don't like. They'll say to their HPE representative 'yeah well I don't know what HP is doing with those servers, but as long as you make sure none of those things end up on my network we have a good relationship and it's loving expensive to change stuff like that so we're good'.

I can imagine it's much the same with Honda. Honda America would have stuff going on in America so big that the 'parent' Japanese company can poo poo the bed for quite a while and the American customers of Honda America still trust their local representatives. Another point would be Americans generally don't give a poo poo about F1, so Honda Japan's long and dirty farce of this engine is something not only they haven't heard, even if they did hear it they probably wouldn't care.

We all will probably look twice the next time a Honda salesman tells you 'oh and the engine is solid in this baby' but for the majority of Americans I'm sure it's like Toyota.. reliable as gently caress and not made here therefore it doesn't suck.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

HPE is now DXC.technology :eng101:

Man, yeah on LinkedIn all these people have 'new jobs' with DXC and actually they're all just HP crew. So is the stupid green rectangle gone? How long did that last, 6 months? The way massive multinationals choose to name and split themselves up is some black magic poo poo we all should probably just ignore.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 6, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ooh there are some places online that have extracts. I think this is a suitably droning (I like that word) piece about daddy

Damon Hill posted:

There were several people who were my father. There was the actual person who lived in the house and who went places with us, and there was the legend in the newspapers, on TV and at racetracks. There was the very serious man who did a very dangerous job, and there was the clown who made everything a big joke. I think I have a good handle on who Graham Hill was now, but when I was growing up, he was a demigod: a slightly intimidating but, at the same time, a lovely, generous, gregarious man who made our lives shine with light.

He was not what one might call a romantic man. He might even be called an insensitive person. When I needed to go back, after I had retired, and sort out where I might have been confused about things, it became clear that the blissful life I had enjoyed had a subtext to it: one of which I was luckily not completely conscious at the time. That was because I was in the Garden of Eden; I was a child still maturing. Now I am fifty-five and, having brought up my own family of four children, all of them born just before or during my career, I can see the problems that my parents faced and how difficult it must have been for them to cope.

My story is really about two generations of Hills. My parents laid the foundations for my life and, without question, the path my father carved led me to become a Formula One World Champion like him. But who I might have been if he had not died when I was fifteen is another question. Looking back, it sometimes seems inevitable that I would follow my father’s course; at other times it seems incredible that I’d want to. If I was a product of my parents and their life in the glitzy, glamorous but tragedy-blighted world of Formula One, then they were a product of the austere and war-ripped early twentieth century.

It’s quite possible that my mother’s father, Bertie, fought in the First World War, as his wedding photo shows him in uniform. My mother was born in 1926 and Norman Graham Hill was born the year of the Great Crash, 1929. So they were only very young by the time they were into the chaos and destruction of the Second World War. So the 1950s, which was when they met, must have seemed a blissful release from all that.

It was into the post-war culture of 1960s England, trying to leave the war and stuffy old traditions behind, that my parents brought a family: Brigitte, me and Samantha. But they also brought us into the world of motor racing at its toughest and most intense period. After their experiences in the Blitz, I’ve often wondered if they were creating their own kind of peacetime, one spiced with a little wartime fear and danger, just for continuity. Overwhelming whatever was happening in the liberal Sixties was the contradictory culture of motor racing, which counterbalanced extreme brutality with an exaggerated lust for life. Through all this, my parents had their own personal life to cope with. Add a bit of fame and a lot of media interest into the mix and you have some powerful influences on a child’s development. It created a distorted and unrealistic model of the world, one that had to end sometime, somehow.

But this unusual life my parents had created was my normality when growing up. There was reality, and there were the myths and legends of Graham Hill. Naturally, these myths had a huge influence not only on my view of my father but also on how I saw the world as it responded to the mythology. We love a good story, clearly; sometimes at the expense of the truth. To a large extent, the mythology became a cage for my parents’ relationship, one that my mother has never really escaped from since the accident.

Ironically, because my father was so famous, I’m lucky that I have so much information to draw on about my early life and the life of my parents. Both wrote autobiographies and there are copious photographs and press cuttings. But the truth is never clearly on display. I have had to work hard to separate the meaning from the simple words. The magnificent image of Graham Hill, the Legend, often obscures the complications that his life and career created for his family.

Clearly I inherited a lot from my father, but, just as clearly, I am not him. To know who I am, I had to differentiate myself from him. To do that, I had to know all about him. I had to know more than just the cherished image of a media darling with his good looks and a talent for a great quote. But just as importantly, I had to accept his genius, his uniqueness and his popularity. It must have been a tough job being a father and keeping the Graham Hill show on the road. But within the world that he created and the zeitgeist of the Sixties and early Seventies, I formed a view of the world and a set of beliefs about it.

The early legend of Graham Hill describes a young man not content to have a safe passage towards retirement. He jacked in his safe job with Smiths Instruments to risk all on motor racing. He had no idea how it would turn out, but he gambled, and he won. A story my father was very proud to tell was that he and Harry Hyams – who was to become a very successful, not to say notorious, property developer – were identified as the ‘two boys least likely to succeed’ by their headmaster. Dad had a strong, independent spirit and faith enough in his own instincts to stick two fingers up to those who would try to define or limit him. Being ‘press-ganged’ through national service into the navy did nothing to change his attitude towards authority, but I have a feeling it did more for him that he ever cared to acknowledge.

In his autobiography, Life at the Limit, he gives credit to the navy for teaching him a great deal about life; notably, the officer training where he learnt public speaking – of which he became something of a brilliant exponent in later life. He also learned leadership by being placed in charge of about forty to fifty ‘chaps’, something he must have found useful when he had his own team.

I have no doubt his navy discipline helped when he had the gruesome task of taking charge of the shell-shocked Lotus team after Jimmy Clark was killed at Hockenheim in 1968. Years later when I was racing, I was sitting in the bar of an hotel when Clark’s mechanic, Dave ‘Beaky’ Sims, sat next to me. He related the story of how my father had told them all what to do: to collect all the bits of the car they could find, to put them in the truck and to drive to the port and not to stop for anyone; just get back to the factory as quickly as possible. He said they would have not known what to do had it not been for Graham’s courage and leadership.

Indeed, my father went on to rebuild the confidence of a stricken and broken team by winning the F1 Championship later that year. Impressive stuff, really. The episode was to have a sad parallel in my own career when we lost Ayrton Senna. Without doubt, I took strength from this story, but the situations were otherwise very different. I was not in a position to take control of the team like he had, nor did I go on to win the Championship, but otherwise I was hugely inspired by his example. A very positive legacy.

He also credited the navy with some seamier lessons in life, such as how to get plastered by noon every day. Unbelievably, the navy still issued tots of rum for the officers – a tot being a whole eighth of a pint of neat rum – at twelve o’clock. Another eye-opener was a visit to Tangiers, where he thanks the navy for introducing him to something he called ‘an exhibition’ and ‘extracurricular activities’. We can only imagine what he might have been referring to there. I think it is sufficient to say that he went into the navy an innocent, but came home less innocent. What he also did, though – a variation on the theme of ships passing in the night – was visit Monaco.

His ship, HMS Swiftsure, docked in Monaco in 1951 and off went Dad to the casino, where he says he won ‘a few bob’, not having any idea that one day he would become known as Mr Monaco after winning the race five times and hobnobbing with the Rainiers. He admitted that, at the time, he had no idea there was a Grand Prix there at all, and knew nothing about racing. Still slightly innocent, then. He would win a hell of a lot more ‘bobs’ at Monaco in the years to come.

My father was not impressed that the navy took two whole years out of his life when he felt he could have learnt it all in one; a very typical attitude from a would-be racing driver. He also took a dim view of having to go back for the next three years to do three weeks on, which is why he grew a ridiculous moustache, which he described as ‘RAF fighter pilot’. He knew only clean-shaven or a full set was permitted, but he seemed to have got them flustered and thoroughly revelled in his ‘anti-stupid-rules’ attitude. He enjoyed seeing them go puce with rage at this early version of a long-haired hippy. But he gave the navy a dilemma. Dad was expressing his freedom in a way they didn’t approve of, but could do nothing about. He was hardly Che Guevara, but he was clearly ready for something different; a life in which he was free to live as he pleased. While he was still ‘property’ of the navy, he met a woman called Bette Shubrook.

more at: http://extracts.panmacmillan.com/extract?isbn=9781509831920

jesus christ shoot me. i paid for this

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 6, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
this is what its supposed to feel like. Id almost forgotten what its like

we could be quick. the competition is still very strong. our guy knows what he's doing here, but the LH has won it 4 times.

loving exciting. i love this sport.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
what are you saying? ham has less seat time with those tires and that's contributing?

sure. ham is a prissy bitch that does a lot of stupid things that contribute to him loving up.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
this is a very pro click

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 7, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Vettel the 4-time fraud can't get past a MCLRN

he gets past it, sideways no less

Tony Montana