Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

It's Spring now. Let's plant our victory gardens and share our sweet tips

This is spur of the moment so im sorry for the poo poo op, but once we fully melt here ive got some lawn repair to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Just put potatoes in the ground, along with leafy greens, some fennel and rutabaga. Have cauliflower, broccoli, and some other poo poo indoors for the next few weeks.

Gonna build another garden bed this weekend for onions and shallots, and some hail screens so hopefully I can get some stuff to harvest this year.

I have a little green house thing, but no amount of weight can keep the wind from picking it up and launching it across my yard.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What's good poo poo to grow on your balcony besides herbs and tomatoes?

Comedy option: :420: since it's state legal but that would be a race between the DEA or some unscrupulous types breaking into my place

bengy81
May 8, 2010

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Comedy option: :420: since it's state legal but that would be a race between the DEA or some unscrupulous types breaking into my place

Strawberries, get a couple of those coconut baskets, cut holes in the sides and you can grow like 5 or six plants per basket.

I would totally get a potted fig or lime tree if I lived in the Bay Area.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We've got a greenhouse out back, I think we started some 'winter crops' already not sure what though. I gotta figure out what else to get started, maybe some tomatoes and spinach so dickhead squirrels can't eat it before it gets over an inch tall.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you have a green house, why are the squirrels stealing from it? Just leaving the door flapping in the breeze out there?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Intentionally grow a male plant to troll people.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Melthir posted:

Intentionally grow a male plant to troll people.

I mean yeah it would be funny right up until the door to my place gets broken down one way or the other.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hemp is perfectly legal to grow in most places.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

If you have a green house, why are the squirrels stealing from it? Just leaving the door flapping in the breeze out there?

Oops, should've specified: I tried to grow it last year at a different house in an outdoor raised bed with nothing protecting it, and that poo poo never lasted long enough to even be called baby spinach. I might build a chickenwire enclosure this year for whatever we end up growing outside of the greenhouse.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ok, random question.

If you are growing leafy greens/lettuce/whatever, don't they just die in the heat? Wouldn't a greenhouse kill them faster?

Thinking about growing poo poo when I get my house.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My carnivorous plants continue to consume the bugs, and my pond has its resident frogs back.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
A Good Thread

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My sister-in-law gave me a succulent back in August that I've managed not to kill yet. That's about the extent of my growing capabilities.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I bought two strawberry plants at Lowes, they seem to be doing ok about 10 days in. Also planted some flower seeds (Morning Glory) and some kind of sweet bell pepper seeds. Five of the flowers have sprouted after a week, the peppers aren't yet, but according to the packet they're expected to be a bit slower.

I'm thinking of rigging up a little LED light to give them a few extra hours after the sun goes down. Specifically for the strawberries; last year my strawberry plants never really grew, they just flowered like crazy and I got a whole bunch of like 1/10 scale strawberries.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Our crocuses might have been stunted after the snow :(

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

You gotta pinch strawberries before they flower, and anyways they don't fruit well until their second year.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Anyone else keep bees? Cause that combined with gardening is pretty :cabot:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I have a lot of chickens, dunno if that counts.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zeris posted:

A Good Thread

ty, usually it gets rolled into the dad thread and i think we got enough green thumbs here to keep it rollin

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The Rat posted:

I think keeping any kind of livestock while gardening is pretty dope.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The Rat posted:

gently caress yes this counts, show us your cocks

bengy81
May 8, 2010

The Rat posted:

:3:

I love chickens, we keep going back and forth on buying some...
Mostly because we can't decide if we are going to move or not.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

bengy81 posted:

:3:

I love chickens, we keep going back and forth on buying some...
Mostly because we can't decide if we are going to move or not.

Yeah that's the hard part. The biggest cost is the startup cost of building a coop. Once you have that built securely (because gently caress raccoons), everything else is cheap. A 50lb bag of chicken feed is like $15.

I haven't taken many pics of just my chickens lately. Usually they help me by posing for gun photos.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Zeris posted:

You gotta pinch strawberries before they flower,

:confused:

quote:

and anyways they don't fruit well until their second year.

I've heard that, but I kind of let last year's die because I'm terrible at plants.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Godholio posted:

I'm thinking of rigging up a little LED light to give them a few extra hours after the sun goes down. Specifically for the strawberries; last year my strawberry plants never really grew, they just flowered like crazy and I got a whole bunch of like 1/10 scale strawberries.
Make sure the light is for plants. A regular houselight isn't going to put out the electrolytes that plants crave.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Ceiling-Fans-Light-Bulbs-Specialty-Light-Bulbs-Grow-Light-Bulbs/LED/N-5yc1vZc5sqZ1z0vxij

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I can make my own for about $3.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Oh gently caress! Just found this thread.

So my gf is deployed because I can't escape the military. I mentioned to her that I wanted to start a garden. Being a deployed E6, she went nuts and sent me a ton of poo poo.

So, first off, she sent a greenhouse. Now I'm pretty sure the neighbors think I'm growing :420: now

Then came the first onslaught of seeds:

Then even more strawberries because strawberries loving own:

Apparently even more stuff is on the way, so at least by sheer number, some stuff will live long enough to harvest.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Godholio posted:

:confused:

I've heard that, but I kind of let last year's die because I'm terrible at plants.

Nip flowers and the berries the first year before they grow. They'll preserve energy this way, and the next fruiting will be good. You can read it online anywhere, it's pretty easy to find.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Some fucker has been eating my Marigolds. When I read that they are supposed to deter snails and slugs from your other plants I wasn't expecting them to be ablative armor! Godammit

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My dad always used to bury plastic cups up to the rim then fill them with cheap beer. They attracted the slugs and drowned them.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Just planted a gently caress ton of Brussels Sprouts, garlic and shallots today.
My lettuce patch is coming along nicely as well.
Started my peppers and tomatoes, I'm about two weeks behind on both, but gently caress you all I've been traveling for the last month for work almost.
Plans for the next week include building another garden box for my onions, and building to raised planters for flowers.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

ZZ plant, geraniums, 6 or so mint varieties, fennel, irises, ivy, rose, snapdragon seedlings.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

My oregano survived the winter, so that's one less thing to plant this year.:toot:

So far, I've started two types of basil, chives, cucumbers, black krim and roma tomatoes, and zucchini. I also tossed a pack of mixed bee flower seeds into a planter, so we'll see how they turn out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

My girls are laying anywhere between 11-17 eggs per day now. (Between all of them, not each.)

So many eggs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How many are there?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

:(

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Rat posted:

My girls are laying anywhere between 11-17 eggs per day now. (Between all of them, not each.)

So many eggs.

I'd take a few off your hands but King Soopers is closer.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Godholio posted:

How many are there?

25 or 26? I dunno, I lost count when I sold three of my four roosters.

AND NOW I JUST HAD A CHICK HATCH, EEEE

Second time I've had a chick hatch on Easter. The first time, I named it Jesus. So now. . . Jesus II?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Name it Fabulous.

• Locked thread