Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I just refreshed myself on the Dawson's creek ST and it's a whole bunch of songs you haven't heard in a long time and really didn't miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

1/4 of the way there!

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'm one of those silly people that sill collects physical media as well, I have nearly 1000 releases on CD. I did a lot of downloading as teenager, mixed in with bits of buying, then for some reason, during University, I just had a change of view and went "Nope, I actually want to own stuff drat it!". It was probably having (some small amount of) money for the first time in my life and combined with being a metal fan and the general dumb brain reward you get for buying still. The difference between "I've heard that album" and "I own that album" and the lack of good legal download stuff outside of iTunes that I was just against. This was mid 2000s, before streaming took off.

Lots of going to record fairs and digging through charity shops, combined with Amazon binges. I've made some great finds - Skyclad's Wardward Sons of Morther Earth of £2 in a tatty box of "Rock/Metal" at the side of a stall in a record fair? Hell yeah! The thrill of finding a hidden gems but also brought a lot of just decent releases because they where cheap. I don't regret it, but these days I'm a lot more picky about what I buy (mostly because I'm running out of space in our flat and trying to save money for important life things). Lot more use of Spotify, but anything that's an amazing album still gets a physical purchase.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

1/4 of the way there!

Does that have the Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins stuff?

DroneRiff posted:

I'm one of those silly people that sill collects physical media as well, I have nearly 1000 releases on CD. I did a lot of downloading as teenager, mixed in with bits of buying, then for some reason, during University, I just had a change of view and went "Nope, I actually want to own stuff drat it!". It was probably having (some small amount of) money for the first time in my life and combined with being a metal fan and the general dumb brain reward you get for buying still. The difference between "I've heard that album" and "I own that album" and the lack of good legal download stuff outside of iTunes that I was just against. This was mid 2000s, before streaming took off.

Lots of going to record fairs and digging through charity shops, combined with Amazon binges. I've made some great finds - Skyclad's Wardward Sons of Morther Earth of £2 in a tatty box of "Rock/Metal" at the side of a stall in a record fair? Hell yeah! The thrill of finding a hidden gems but also brought a lot of just decent releases because they where cheap. I don't regret it, but these days I'm a lot more picky about what I buy (mostly because I'm running out of space in our flat and trying to save money for important life things). Lot more use of Spotify, but anything that's an amazing album still gets a physical purchase.

Have you heard of Gloryhammer?

Beelerzebub fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 10, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Beelerzebub posted:

Does that have the Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins stuff?

It says "1983-1998" which means that Peter Gabriel was long gone, he left in the mid-70s. Phil Collins left in the late 90s.

Man, Genesis is the poster child for "band that was once insanely good and then abruptly became kinda bad"

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

precision posted:

It says "1983-1998" which means that Peter Gabriel was long gone, he left in the mid-70s. Phil Collins left in the late 90s.

Man, Genesis is the poster child for "band that was once insanely good and then abruptly became kinda bad"

I did not see that, but after looking at it again, I do see that.

happysaph98
May 11, 2017

terezi my beloved....
I listen to CDs just about exclusively. I have a changer in my bedroom that seats 5, as well as a single disc player in my car. I go to a lot of local shows, and spending 5 bucks on a CD is the best way (IMO) to support a local band. And, like someone said earlier, thrift stores are great too as long as you aren't the loving ponce that pulls up a chair to the CD shelf and spends half an hour blocking everyone else from looking through.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you go see local/indie/unsigned bands and you like them and don't buy any merch you are a bad person. Source: I'm in bands and I need money for gas :sweatdrop:

Reminder: bands never get a cut of the bar, only the door

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

precision posted:

If you go see local/indie/unsigned bands and you like them and don't buy any merch you are a bad person. Source: I'm in bands and I need money for gas :sweatdrop:

Last time I tried to buy merch at a live thing, they didn't take card. And there was no ATM around. Sorry guys I wanted to buy your stuff but I rarely carry cash :shrug:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Last time I tried to buy merch at a live thing, they didn't take card. And there was no ATM around. Sorry guys I wanted to buy your stuff but I rarely carry cash :shrug:

wow i can't believe this local band doesn't have a card machine, can you imagine

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I guess merch won't be their... cash cow

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think it's weird not to carry some cash. What do you do in an emergency?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Idk, what kind of emergency do you have in mind?

happysaph98
May 11, 2017

terezi my beloved....

precision posted:

gently caress, I don't even get paid at most bar gigs. I only ever take home merch money. Please buy my CDs.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always assume the merch table will be cash only

happysaph98
May 11, 2017

terezi my beloved....

realbez posted:

I always assume the merch table will be cash only

A bunch of people are getting those Square things for phones so they can take cards, else some will just take Paypal or that Facebook money thing. Cash never fails, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

Idk, what kind of emergency do you have in mind?

Could be anything. Your CC doesn't work and you need gas, or you wind up some place that only takes cash, or you have to duke somebody money for helping you out. Cash is king.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cash me ousside, howbowduh?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

wow i can't believe this local band doesn't have a card machine, can you imagine

All the local bands I see have those phone app things for reading cards. :shrug:

happysaph98 posted:

gently caress, I don't even get paid at most bar gigs. I only ever take home merch money. Please buy my CDs.

You don't get a cut of the door? Do you need a manager? :j:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

precision posted:

All the local bands I see have those phone app things for reading cards. :shrug:

Yeah, a touring band w any kind of actual following should have a Square or similar. Throwing money away otherwise.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This is the physical media thread. We carry cash.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

BigFactory posted:

This is the physical media thread. We carry cash.

I got a whole dollar to my name.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

even lots of internationally touring bands haven't had card thingy whatsits when i've seen them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Beelerzebub posted:

I got a whole dollar to my name.

Thanks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'd probably buy way more merch at shows if they took cards, but even bigger bands I've seen haven't taken cards, only cash, and I rarely ever carry cash on me.

The last show I bought a shirt at was probably The Cure last year and that was because they had a card reader, but it was also a sold out show at a big arena with multiple merch kiosks.

In fact, I went to a show the other night and actually had $20 cash on me for once, so I intended to buy a shirt, but the shirts were $25 so I didn't.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It was really a stupid move to outlaw ATMs a few years ago.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
ATMs aren't often anywhere near venues or if they are they have ridiculous withdrawal fees

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

ATMs aren't often anywhere near venues or if they are they have ridiculous withdrawal fees

Are you going to concerts in the woods?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BigFactory posted:

Are you going to concerts in the woods?

Great acoustics out there

kethdredd
Jun 28, 2003

That girl is POISON!
I still buy CDs as much as I pick up vinyl. I also trade quite a bit using a trading site called musicboomerang.com . It's a great way to get rid of CDs you don't want and pick up some you're interested in. Has a great community as well.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
its cool to buy merch and drugs from the same guy at a show using the same venmo account

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I used to buy a bulk of CDs from goHastings when they had sales, and get like 30 CDs shipped from around the South. Pissing off the postal worker with many packages containing $2 CDs. However, they closed a while ago, and now I don't know a good online site where I can get a lot of used CDs. What do people do that is around that price range for music? If I do Amazon or eBay, you're not likely to find a good selection of music from any one seller, I imagine (and thus, pay more for shipping).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

discogs?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I bought a copy of "Dookie" by Green Day. Despite its name, it's really good.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Amazon/itunes don't sell lossless files, and the sites that do are janky and charge as much as the CD costs anyway. Plus, it's kinda cool to have a physical copy. CDs are good.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Beelerzebub posted:

I bought a copy of "Dookie" by Green Day. Despite its name, it's really good.

I think everyone under the age of 40 has a CD of Dookie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I think everyone under the age of 40 has a CD of Dookie.

I think everyone under the age of 50 has owned it at some point. poo poo's old man. So old I had it on TAPE :cool:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I never had it, Green Day more like Green Gay

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think that CDs really captured people's imaginations. There was such a "wow" factor with the device - it's like it's magical. Whether it's the appearance or feel, or the amazing sound quality during an era when most people were listening to tapes. Sort of a gateway to high quality sound.

When I was ten my parents bought their Sony CD player. I remember sitting in awe listening to the opening chords of Roundabout and Invisible Touch and just being captured by the sound.

I mean sure digital files are much higher quality but the leap from tapes and vinyl (on a basic home system) to a good CD player was amazing. Sort of like going from a Nintendo to a SNES.

There's this UK band called Hot Chip and the singer/writer Alexis Taylor apparently is a fan of and has mentioned physical media a couple of times.

"Motion Sickness" - "Everything spins, everything spins, everything spins on my head, on my compact disc..."

"Huarache Lights" - "Machines are great, but Best when they come to life You can burn your finger on The pulse of the light There's nothing to touch and There's nothing to hold Am I so truthful Or in truth Is the youth just getting old?"

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The addition of a "Skip Track" button was invaluable to the evolution of the album as form.

Here's a fun one: try to count how many CDs from the 90s/early 00s have an absolutely killer track 7.

• Locked thread