Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think that CDs really captured people's imaginations. There was such a "wow" factor with the device - it's like it's magical. Whether it's the appearance or feel, or the amazing sound quality during an era when most people were listening to tapes. Sort of a gateway to high quality sound.

When I was ten my parents bought their Sony CD player. I remember sitting in awe listening to the opening chords of Roundabout and Invisible Touch and just being captured by the sound.

I mean sure digital files are much higher quality but the leap from tapes and vinyl (on a basic home system) to a good CD player was amazing. Sort of like going from a Nintendo to a SNES.

There's this UK band called Hot Chip and the singer/writer Alexis Taylor apparently is a fan of and has mentioned physical media a couple of times.

"Motion Sickness" - "Everything spins, everything spins, everything spins on my head, on my compact disc..."

"Huarache Lights" - "Machines are great, but Best when they come to life You can burn your finger on The pulse of the light There's nothing to touch and There's nothing to hold Am I so truthful Or in truth Is the youth just getting old?"

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread