Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'm one of those silly people that sill collects physical media as well, I have nearly 1000 releases on CD. I did a lot of downloading as teenager, mixed in with bits of buying, then for some reason, during University, I just had a change of view and went "Nope, I actually want to own stuff drat it!". It was probably having (some small amount of) money for the first time in my life and combined with being a metal fan and the general dumb brain reward you get for buying still. The difference between "I've heard that album" and "I own that album" and the lack of good legal download stuff outside of iTunes that I was just against. This was mid 2000s, before streaming took off.

Lots of going to record fairs and digging through charity shops, combined with Amazon binges. I've made some great finds - Skyclad's Wardward Sons of Morther Earth of £2 in a tatty box of "Rock/Metal" at the side of a stall in a record fair? Hell yeah! The thrill of finding a hidden gems but also brought a lot of just decent releases because they where cheap. I don't regret it, but these days I'm a lot more picky about what I buy (mostly because I'm running out of space in our flat and trying to save money for important life things). Lot more use of Spotify, but anything that's an amazing album still gets a physical purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread