Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Is physical media dead? This question has been asked countless times since digital downloads became commonplace about a decade ago. Obviously, the vinyl resurgence has kept record stores busy, and cassette culture has been making a comeback in recent years, but what of the CD? What of perfect sound forever? This is the thread for those of us who still buy CDs, for whatever reason we have. Why do I still buy CDs? It's several reasons, really. I like the convenience of the analog backdoor so that, if someone wants to rip a copy of an album into iTunes or their other music directory of choice, they don't have to spend any money. Like vinyl enthusiasts, I enjoy the physical object to hold, the liner notes, the act of inserting a disc into a box and pressing a button to hear the fast spin of the CD as it's read. Unlike records, the CD is portable and sturdier (if enclosed in a jewel case, my preference).

I have 537 CDs in my collection (including box sets and multi-disc releases, most of which reside on display). I just reorganized them the other day, and two of them still don't fit in the line. This is not promising for my latest purchase, the Ultramega OK reissue.

Post your CD collections, whether obsessively calculated or not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

1/4 of the way there!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Beelerzebub posted:

I bought a copy of "Dookie" by Green Day. Despite its name, it's really good.

I think everyone under the age of 40 has a CD of Dookie.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Just bought a copy of the limited edition of Barenaked Ladies' Stunt over Discogs from some person in Denmark. Super stoked - I've never heard the studio version of Long Way Back Home.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I got Monty Python’s Total Rubbish for Christmas! All 9 albums (including the BBC one) in one box with liner notes about the recording of said albums.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Man, I haven’t gone to Best Buy for a CD in ages. Last one I remember picking up was Random Access Memories.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If there is another way to store CDs that’s not just on a shelf, I’d like to know. You know that picture in the OP? It’s gotten to the point where I have to stack them in nooks and crannies. Where am I going to put New Order’s Republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bought this for less than $300, which I find to be a win - after all, this collection is the only place these mixes can be found.

• Locked thread