Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I still buy CDs for certain things.

If you listen to music from any genre produced before ~ 1965 then CDs are amazing. Country, folk, blues, soul, jazz, and gospel numbers prior to the album era were all 3-5 minute singles, and you gotta be extremely diehard to track that poo poo down on vinyl EP. Even though the CD sound quality can never quite match the stereo or mono vinyl masters, CD compilations are often really decently mastered by the small labels like Kent or Rhino that still produce them. Streamed versions of a lot of this music sound like absolute garbage.

There are still 'new' things being dug up from the vaults of that era, soul performers that never made it big due to the outright dominance of Otis or Aretha or whathaveyou. And many of the best compilations come with extensive liner note histories in the booklets that are pretty lovingly crafted these days.

My CD copy of the Elmore James compilation is the album that pretty much introduced me to blues outright. Life has never been the same.

Both the Bettye Swann and Candi Staton compilations released by Honest Johns are loving superior documents of soul, and I dunno if they have bonus tracks or not, but there are so many songs on each that it's almost intimidating to spin my vinyl copies. I've mostly played my CD or MP3 rips of them over the years.

Irma Thomas has several incredible compilations of her early '60s singles, completely essential.

Another great compilation is the recent Patsy Cline: Sweet Dreams / Complete Decca Recordings, which is strangely enough the very first complete collection of all her best work, most of it from the last 4 years (or 4 months!) of her life. It's insane that this stuff was always split up onto different vinyl collections until now. The 'countrypolitan' sound she helped invent in those final days is pretty much the seed for pop music as we know it. Also, Faded Love is probably the single saddest song I've ever heard in any genre, you can even hear her in tears while singing it! (recorded only weeks before her death)

Hell, even stuff recorded firmly in the album era can benefit from CD pressing.

James Carr's masterpiece soul album 'You Got My Mind Messed Up' is probably available in all formats, including LP+MP3, but the CD version comes with 12 bonus tracks and the liner notes are extensive.

Anyways...

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

realbez posted:

Yeah but if you're going to rip all your cds, why do it in mp3 when you can do it with a lossless format these days? it's not like storage space is a problem anymore

Because it's fast and who cares.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

realbez posted:

mp3s are good, but they aren’t a backup.

No, they're the convenience. CDs are the backup, that's the point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm an old and I still buy CDs too.

Any suggestions for a more compact storage method than just sticking 500 CDs on a shelf? I'm in the process of ripping but loving A I've got a long way to go. And right now they're all either

1. stacked up on the floor after ripping, or
2. in a heavy duty contractor bag in the corner of our study waiting to be ripped.

And no I don't want to toss them all after they're ripped, but the contractor bag is pretty lame.

You can get a CaseLogic CD binder that will hold 300-500 cds and their jewel case art which will cut down on the space for sure. Just keep in mind if you ever want to sell CDs that without the jewel case/art the street value of a disc drops to zero.

If you have no art for a lot of them already you can just throw a bunch on a CD spindle and put that up on a shelf.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

Was going to go with a few big plastic bins, but after filling one up about 75% and realizing I have a whoooooole lot more to do, I'm switching over to sleeves and boxes. Way more compact, which is what I'm looking for.

Plus, as I randomly research how much CDs are worth... they aren't worth poo poo. Bye, jewel cases (i'm keeping the super cool ones though)!

Depends on the CDs. Same with vinyl.

• Locked thread