Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love buying records and CDs especially digipacks

Matador were the kings of mid-90s digipacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Why do they call them "jewel cases" anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leon Einstein posted:

Digipacks are way better. The Broken EP by NIN had the coolest packaging.

Constellation Records does a lot of great ones, the art included in GY!BE/Silver Mt. Zion discs/albums is worth the price alone

e: I still have my copy of the Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada EP that I bought in 1999. The Broken EP was literally the first compact disc I ever bought, in 1993

e2: Ironically Fixed had better music but a cheaper digipack for some reason

e3: the second and third CDs I ever bought were Front 242's 06:21:03:11 UP EVIL and REM's Green. In retrospect, my taste in cassettes was much better than my taste in CDs (at the time I was buying Husker Du, King Missile, Legendary Pink Dots, Pavement, all on tape so I could listen to them in my car and now I feel stupid

precision fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 22, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Beelerzebub posted:

Does that have the Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins stuff?

It says "1983-1998" which means that Peter Gabriel was long gone, he left in the mid-70s. Phil Collins left in the late 90s.

Man, Genesis is the poster child for "band that was once insanely good and then abruptly became kinda bad"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you go see local/indie/unsigned bands and you like them and don't buy any merch you are a bad person. Source: I'm in bands and I need money for gas :sweatdrop:

Reminder: bands never get a cut of the bar, only the door

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

wow i can't believe this local band doesn't have a card machine, can you imagine

All the local bands I see have those phone app things for reading cards. :shrug:

happysaph98 posted:

gently caress, I don't even get paid at most bar gigs. I only ever take home merch money. Please buy my CDs.

You don't get a cut of the door? Do you need a manager? :j:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I think everyone under the age of 40 has a CD of Dookie.

I think everyone under the age of 50 has owned it at some point. poo poo's old man. So old I had it on TAPE :cool:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The addition of a "Skip Track" button was invaluable to the evolution of the album as form.

Here's a fun one: try to count how many CDs from the 90s/early 00s have an absolutely killer track 7.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For a while it was common practice to put a killer track at 7 to stop people from skipping through the whole album, that's the entirety of the point :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

you'd think a better strategy would have been to make the whole album good

I think that, as a rule, people who were skipping tracks in the first place weren't really listening for "the album experience". We're talking people who bought the CD for the singles, here, not Robert Christgau.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Beelerzebub posted:

I picked up Powerslave by Iron Maiden for $8 today. I was pleasantly surprised by it. Guess I'll have to listen to more Iron Maiden now.

You chose wisely, that's their best album

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Somewhere In Time is really good and definitely in the artsy/prog vein as well (guitar synths!)

Seventh Son too, just try to ignore that it's based on an Orson Scott Card novel

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Beelerzebub posted:

Quick question: Is Anthrax worth listening to?

hell yeah they are! when i was in 6th grade (1987) my middle school inexplicably voted them as the best band of all time. we had a lot of skater punk/metal kids!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh wow I entirely forgot about Dungen even existing. I love(d) them. Definitely need to go back and re-listen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That reminds me of the fact that REM released every single song off New Adventures in Hi-Fi for free, a few songs at a time, ahead of its release. And of course, it being 1997, they were incredibly low quality .wav files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Get the gently caress out of here that album is dogshit especially compared to Bat Out of Hell

Yeah seriously.

• Locked thread