Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Omar were cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ah yes, the Deus Ex: Invisible War phenomenon

You mean people saying a game that's pretty drat crappy is "Not a bad game, just a bad game in (series X)"?

Yeah, I can see it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Tried going back to it last month to wrap up my Insanity playthrough. A fair selection of mods had been developed in the interim, so I presumed those might smooth the rough edges in presentation. Nope - it's worse than I remembered because I already knew how the story ended and I've played much better games since. Hope whoever was responsible for the massive scope change halfway through development has learned a lot, like how not to kill an entire studio & franchise with one idiot decision.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The biggest problem with the single player is that instead of just cutting out all the mediocre dialogue, they kept it in. Like nobody gives a poo poo about hearing 30 different Angara with slightly different voices talking about diddly poo poo. ME2 and 3 work so well because at any point in those games you can go on a mission and know it's gonna have some pew pew and some banter and it's gonna be pretty cool. Andromeda tries to be more of a "regular" RPG where you have tons and tons of voiced NPCs that just aren't well written or even interesting and the game drags rear end because of it.

If you play Andromeda and just skip pretty much all the sidequests (except the ones that sound obviously worth doing, like the Loyalty quests) it's so much more bearable. The planets are honestly well designed for exploration and the combat/systems are good.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Off topic but I was curious whether Maya Brook's claim 'And you killed 100 guys, with a pistol!' bears out, so I counted each merc I killed in the first section of the Citadel DLC. Even staying longer than usual in the Ryuusei restaurant to kill extra mercs, counting the mercs Kaidan and Wrex killed, and giving myself godmode in order to kill a completely unrealistic number in the cision motors fight, I only managed to reach 78. You'd have to kill mercs nonstop in the sushi restaurant for like half an hour to actually reach 100, kinda tough on insanity.]

Edit: An odd bug appeared for me about a week ago in Mass Effect 3, I find some google results for it but no solutions, pre-rendered movies (normally locked at 30fps) are now rather jittery. I've been playing the trilogy at unlocked 150fps for 2 years now without trouble, but I swear these are running at more like 10 fps, they look a lot worse than they did before. Also G-sync isn't being correctly applied, though in the main game it is. I suspect maybe its an nvidia driver update that's somehow to blame, re-locking the framerate and nerfing graphics settings didn't help.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 10, 2018

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

So Andromeda finally got cheap enough on the xbone that I picked it up. And I have to say...I'm enjoying it. I'm far enough in the game that I'm probably not going to get spoilers (looking at you BANSHEEES) in multiplayer and it's pretty fun. Well, I can't tell if it's really fun or if it's just the sheen of the learning curve. But yeah, I have no gear, poo poo guns and a Krogan Vanguard. But playing bronze matches is..fun. I don't know how I'll feel after a bunch more, but right now it doesn't seem like a grind and is an amusing time waster. It's also nice that people aren't yelling about how I'm screwing up. Apparently some of my muscle memory from 3 is still good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I tried Warframe and it kinda blows at first so I'm gonna reinstall Andromeda cause I miss Chargeing that much

hit me up if you're on PS4, name's "zerodrone"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

So Andromeda finally got cheap enough on the xbone that I picked it up. And I have to say...I'm enjoying it. I'm far enough in the game that I'm probably not going to get spoilers (looking at you BANSHEEES) in multiplayer and it's pretty fun. Well, I can't tell if it's really fun or if it's just the sheen of the learning curve. But yeah, I have no gear, poo poo guns and a Krogan Vanguard. But playing bronze matches is..fun. I don't know how I'll feel after a bunch more, but right now it doesn't seem like a grind and is an amusing time waster. It's also nice that people aren't yelling about how I'm screwing up. Apparently some of my muscle memory from 3 is still good.

I'll play with you man. Gt Two Finger.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I had a ton of fun as a vanguard just charging around with the semi automatic n7 shotty, it felt like the best me vanguard experience, too bad about the story, I think there was a story, something about space iirc.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You gotta make the symbols match

No other alien can do that

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Out of curiosity is anyone (pubbies or goons) playing ME3 still

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've a fun story

So, while looking through my Dad's books, I noticed the title Beyond the Blue Event Horizon by Fredrick Pohl. I wanted to read it but noticed it was the second part of a series - the first being Gateway. Dad, being an old SF nerd, had a copy of it.

Gateway is a good novel. Written in the late 1970s, in the future the problem of man is overpopulation, which drives space exploration. The novel is mostly Man starts colonizing the Moon, Mars, and then digging tunnels in Venus, when one guy discovers an alien spaceship. He hops into it and it automatically flies to a alien base in orbit around the sun, containing literally thousands of ships with FTL drive. The aliens, nicknamed the Heechee, are very mysterious; whatever they were up to, they very carefully scrubbed their bases (there was also a subterranean base on Venus) of any sign of who they were, save that of inexplicable artifacts nicknamed "heechee prayer fans", of no decernible use. The ships that have FTL are being investigated, obviously, but they too prove a puzzle. The FTL can't be analyzed, and the instruments are obviously alien. Through trial and error, and meticulous data collection, it is found the ships have a navigation system that can FTL be sent someplace, and then FTL itself home again - this soon proves lucrative. Sometimes, FTL takes a crew to where other Heechee artifacts can be found, and these can be reverse engineered and used by humanity - the ultimate hope being something can be done about the mostly wretched 25 billion humans now lousing up Earth.

So the main character becomes one of these 'prospectors', people working for the Gateway corporation, the company chartered to run the alien base, Gateway. The whole thing is vaguely reminiscent of Mass Effect insofar as it is using a alien space station as a staging area to explore the galaxy, but aside from that it isn't really. The FTL it turns out is the only future tech - the spaceships have normal propellant and limited oxygen, and 'prospecting' is a terrifying crapshoot. Ships are called 'ones', 'threes' and 'fives' after how many people they can hold, so they are really big space capsules - except ones you may be trapped for months in while in FTL. So little is known about the navigation that it is possible to embark on a mission where you will run out of oxygen or supplies before you can return. Successful prospectors can become rich beyond the dreams of avarice - but something like 50% of the missions fail, with pods returning with partially or totally dead crew, or simply vanishing, never to be seen again. The novel itself is told as a flashback, with the main character rich back on earth (marked mostly by having 'full medical', IE being to afford maximal health care) trying to deal with the trauma of what he experienced with his AI psychologist. (Who is written in BASIC, btw.)

Second book builds on this premise: prospecting discovers what Humanity is increasingly desperate for, a solution to Earth's food crisis. An alien "CHON" food production ship is discovered in the Oort cloud surrounding the solar system, manufacturing food from the carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and nitrogen locked in the frozen oort cloud asteroids. I'll cut to the chase here: there's A LOT of elements in this novel that show up in the basic setup to Mass Effect. The food production ship is more or less uncontrollable, just acting with its inscrutable software to make food - and send it someplace else - a vast space station orbiting another star nicknamed 'Heechee heaven'. On this space station is one half-feral 15 year old boy, and a tribe of Australopithecus people who've spent the past 50K years living on that station. The station, partially run down after millenia, is evidently a staging area for the Heechee to monitor the development of the human race, possibly interfering with our evolution. The heechee collapse into Prothean-like aliens, seeding the galaxy with creatures they hope will evolve into sentience. The menagerie of expernments on the station, the cave men, weird AI biomechanical hybrids, the recording of human personalities into AI to preserve them, basically most of the stuff in the second book, are part of this. We infer that Gateway, the heechee fans etc are a trail of breadcrumbs to get humanity out into space. In the end, mankind manages to capture the CHON station and 'heechee heaven', and more importantly, solve the mystery of the heechee prayer fans - which are prothean books.

In the epilogue we get to see things from a Heechee perspective. They are bug-like aliens that sound a lot like Protheans. They live in the center of the galaxy, using their amazing future tech to hide inside a black hole's event horizion, having a whole constellation of planets and starts in there. We also learn the Heechee's motivation: they have decided some thing out there, unknown, is conducting experiments in the constructing of the universe, possibly trying to make the Big Bang and the Big Crunch happen to make the universe easier for life to live in. The seeding programs are ultimately as a buffer to the Heechee, who hope if this force shows up someday, they'll at least have a buffer to understand how to fight these creatures.

Oh, and their FTL works by using energy to radically change the mass of objects, which is the basis of all their technology, as it has endless applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've a fun story

In the epilogue we get to see things from a Heechee perspective. They are bug-like aliens that sound a lot like Protheans. They live in the center of the galaxy, using their amazing future tech to hide inside a black hole's event horizion, having a whole constellation of planets and starts in there. We also learn the Heechee's motivation: they have decided some thing out there, unknown, is conducting experiments in the constructing of the universe, possibly trying to make the Big Bang and the Big Crunch happen to make the universe easier for life to live in. The seeding programs are ultimately as a buffer to the Heechee, who hope if this force shows up someday, they'll at least have a buffer to understand how to fight these creatures.

Oh, and their FTL works by using energy to radically change the mass of objects, which is the basis of all their technology, as it has endless applications.

I thought everyone knew they stole the plot of those books ("homage") but I didn't realize how close they hewed to the bone.

lmao

• Locked thread