Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Posting here since the other Mass Effect thread is now archived.
Omnikey dismantling in Mass effect 2 & Mass Effect 3.

For anyone used to doing Coalesced modding in ME 2 & ME 3, I've now playtested my setup throughout both games and highly recommend it to anyone doing another playthrough of those games. I invested considerable effort figuring out the best way of dismantling the horrible omnikey (spacebar) into separate commands, making the games much more controllable and all but eliminating unnecessary deaths on Insanity. I'm not sure whether these are kosher in ME3MP. My setup borrows and improves on the efforts of others, takes some time to learn but is well worth it. There's an intuitive controls mod that has a somewhat similar layout for ME 3 but presents slightly more opportunity for key confusion and I've never seen one for ME 2.

The scheme for ME 2 is:
( Name="Storm", Command=" TryClimbOrMantleCover | OnRelease StormOff | OnHold 0.2 StormOn") (I bound to Shift key)
( Name="Use", Command="Exclusive Used | TryExitCover 1" ) (I bound to E key)
( Name="Shared_Action", Command="Exclusive TryAcquireCover" ) (I bound to Spacebar ) (This replaces the original shared_action command)

The scheme for ME 3 is:
( Name="PC_Storm", Command="Exclusive TryStandingJump | Exclusive Pressaction | OnRelease StormOff | StormOn ") (I bound to Shift key)
( Name="Use", Command="Exclusive Used | TryExitCover") (I bound to E key)
( Name="Shared_Action", Command="TryAcquireCover") (I bound to Spacebar ) (This replaces the original shared_action command)

These are the basic commands that need to be created, distilled as much as possible. Remember that these are commands, and that after adding them you need to make bindings for those commands, which can only be done in a coalesced editor as “Storm” and “Use” will not appear in the game menu. The process is pretty easy and can be done in 15 minutes with a simple coalesced editor for both games and using the PC Tweaks page as a reference. The PC tweaks pages for the original trilogy are a goldmine for all kinds of improvements.

Explanation of the improvements:
E is now Use key and break cover.
Spacebar is now Take Cover and nothing else.
Shift key is now Sprinting, Jumping over gaps, Dodging (but not forward dodging) Mantling over cover and rolling between cover.

Advantages:
No confusion between dodging and taking cover. No confusion between sprinting and the Use key. You will never get sucked into cover while trying to sprint. You won’t break cover by accident, since take cover and break cover are on different keys. You won’t break cover by accident while attempting to roll between cover, although diagonal arrows will still let you roll out of cover by pressing shift. You *can* still mantle over cover while attempting to roll between cover as both are on the shift key, but this is endemic to the Pressaction subcommand itself which is the only way to roll between cover and mantle obstacles. You can now freely dodge while sprinting by pressing the movement buttons and tapping shift and you will never get sucked behind cover. The only *true* disadvantage of this setup is that you can no longer dodge forwards, but it’s worth it because the horrible Tapaction subcommand is now no longer used, and dodging forwards was its only contribution not covered by other commands.

What’s even more brilliant about this setup is you can mirror it in both games, making transitioning from ME 2 to ME 3 easier in terms of muscle memory.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

I played Andromeda a month after it came out hoping this would be long enough for obvious bugs to be eliminated and basic mods to be made, determined it was poo poo and suspended play after entering the first Vault on Eos. What the singleplayer really needs is modding to add in massive timesaving mechanisms, some of which are available now such as a superjetpack mod and resource mod thanks to a guy who actually did Bioware's job for them and released a modding toolkit on his own. I can't accept sticking mostly to main quests in a Bioware game, what I'm really waiting for are full console access and something like the modder's Timesaving trifecta of ME 1: Q bound to skip cutscenes, shift key bound to Superspeed, and Middle Mouse bound to SloMo x10, which makes every Mako scene and elevator superfast. Also a combat overhaul mod to allow more than 3 powers to be used. Apparently this is among the most retardedly locked down aspects of Andromeda, I reaaally hope somebody can crack it. At the very least now the game isn't being patched modders shouldn't have to worry about their mods getting broken.

I was really thinking with Andromeda they might learn their lessons with modding and actually make it easier again, but no, they locked the game down even more and its taken even longer to create competent toolkits & mods. I suppose I should've expected it given how much top talent fled Mac Walters' oppressive regime. I loved the relative simplicity of ME 1 where you just installed MEUITM, flawless widescreen, then followed the obvious stuff from the ME Tweaks page to make the game dramatically better. (and backed up your modded settings files as the game loves to overwrite them). I suppose it's not surprising as Games companies under EA's icy grip tend to devolve into corporate idiocy. I knew that Andromeda realistically wasn't going to be an outright improvement over every previous franchise entry (those other dev teams poured their hearts out to make great games, too) but I believed them that it was at least going to learn a lot of lessons... they didn't. I even suggested on their official forums around March 2017 they release a modding toolkit, I was ignored of course. As long as my posts and modding take I come out exponentially ahead than actually trying to complete all the slowass sidecontent of Andromeda. Waiting for the right mods will surely be worth it.

Since the mods I want don't exist yet, I decided to replay my perfectly configured OT, this time as a Failure Shepard/Trump Shepard, carefully planning out how to fail maximally, get as many people killed as possible, let the bad guys escape, sow pointless misery and create chaos. In the end practically everyone will die. This is one of the few things I haven't done yet and the unheard dialogue choices are surprisingly refreshing. The tone is so overwhelmingly dark that it turns comedic. Mark Meer's voiceacting really helps those reckless, destructive bottom right options feel satisfying. Failshep's racist lines actually come across less objectionably than Trump’s. One discovery I made in ME 1 confused me though. In my first ever ME 1 playthrough in 2012, I sent Ashley with the Salarians on Virmire, thinking she'd be the one to die, discovered it was a choice, then went to the bomb to save Kaidan. Given the Salarians were with Ashley I assumed this meant they died too. Never saw them on the Normandy. For all future playthroughs, I sent my preferred Virmire survivor with the Salarians so I could rescue all of them on the AA tower as this seemed ideal. Failshep chose to rescue Ashley at the bomb (naturally), but somehow some of the Salarian team made it to the Normandy!. This makes waaay less sense than the understanding of Virmire I’ve had all this time. I actually loaded up my old 2012 first ever Mass Effect playthrough and sure enough, the Salarians were down in the cargo hold I’d just missed ‘em, must’ve gone to a plot world first. You can’t kill them all, only Kirrahe, even though if you don’t assist Kirrahe’s team it’s clear from the radio Aegohr and Mannovai join up with Jaeto and all are on the AA tower. So if Shepard goes for the bomb, somehow the Normandy is able to rescue the Salarians but not Shepard’s other squadmate?! Best explanation I can think of is the AA tower squadmate sacrifices themselves, providing cover so the remains of Jaeto can sprint to the Normandy. Which doesn’t make total sense given the AA tower squadmate remarks they’re pinned down under fire. Also it’s too bad there’s no cutscene of the AA tower squadmate getting overrun like there is of the bomb squadmate

How bad of an idea would it be for me to hop into Andromeda MP without playing the SP? Idgaf about generic spoilers because the plot stinks, but I was holding off because I didn’t advance far enough into the main plot to get good strike teams, didn’t want to play SP alongside MP, and didn’t want to be at a disadvantage in MP.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 6, 2018

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

I'm proud of my Failure Shepard's handling of the Suicide Mission. Can confirm the Suicide Mission Calculator did its job with 100% precision. Took a bit of tinkering with it, but I managed to get it so that I actually completed every single loyalty mission (except Legion's, who was sold to Cerberus for that fast $$$) but it turns into a holocaust anyways. Works out perfectly for my purposes.

I had to have Tali survive so she can kill herself in ME 3, and Garrus so both can observe how much I've hopelessly hosed everything. The other squadmates don't come to the Normandy, though I wanted Morinth to survive since she's clearly a good person and deserves to live in a Failshep playthrough. Failshep did a full Jack romance of course, sided with Jack in the fight to lose Miranda's loyalty, then had Jack die in the Collector base approach prompting a pretty funny 'She can't be dead, get to Medical!' from Failshep. Lost Tali's loyalty by presenting evidence of Rael'Zorah's guilt, then argued they should go to war with the Geth anyways. Completed Thane's loyalty quest till almost the very end, then ran in the opposite rear end direction to make sure Kolyat finished the assassination (Thane's post dialogue if you fail is worth hearing, appropriately dark, fits the state of the galaxy Failshep strives toward). Could've simply left Zaeed to die on his loyalty quest after letting Santiago escape, decided to bring him since I could kill him off. Unfortunately, you cannot choose to let Santiago escape and not save the workers, nor can you choose to let Balak escape and let the hostages die anyways back in Bring down the Sky. Did tell Hackett I'd make a priority out of Arrival then skipped it though. Oh yeah and I wanted Miranda dead so I can let Henry Lawson escape in 3.

Playing through the trilogy as suboptimally as possible requires as much planning as playing optimally, in fact its even trickier as I have less practice. It's been very dark, fun, and comedically bad. It leads to a few unexpected decisions such as saving Wrex in ME 1 so he can discover the sabotage in 3. It's been fun to see how the 'other half' experiences the ME series, just making all the reckless horrible choices heedless of the longterm consequences. But so often there is a short term immediate satisfaction. Now I know it feels to be Trump.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 6, 2018

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

Off topic but I was curious whether Maya Brook's claim 'And you killed 100 guys, with a pistol!' bears out, so I counted each merc I killed in the first section of the Citadel DLC. Even staying longer than usual in the Ryuusei restaurant to kill extra mercs, counting the mercs Kaidan and Wrex killed, and giving myself godmode in order to kill a completely unrealistic number in the cision motors fight, I only managed to reach 78. You'd have to kill mercs nonstop in the sushi restaurant for like half an hour to actually reach 100, kinda tough on insanity.]

Edit: An odd bug appeared for me about a week ago in Mass Effect 3, I find some google results for it but no solutions, pre-rendered movies (normally locked at 30fps) are now rather jittery. I've been playing the trilogy at unlocked 150fps for 2 years now without trouble, but I swear these are running at more like 10 fps, they look a lot worse than they did before. Also G-sync isn't being correctly applied, though in the main game it is. I suspect maybe its an nvidia driver update that's somehow to blame, re-locking the framerate and nerfing graphics settings didn't help.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 10, 2018

• Locked thread