Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Ultra-Rare classes seem pretty fuckin' busted.

The Human Kineticist is pretty much the only character who can prime and detonate their own combos from range. The Agaran Avenger has a team cloak and does stupid burst damage because his powers have no cooldown. The Salarian Operator doesn't look like much at first, but his Shield Boost power is insane; you and anyone in range are basically immortal for a few seconds when you pop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pruney posted:

Basics maxed? and I have 60k at the moment.

Using the Krogan Vanguard with a gold scattershot 1 and a pistol 1

Basics maxed as in Rank X in all the weapons and classes. That only happens if you play hundreds of hours of multiplayer, though. In general, save up for the 100k packs, it's the best way to get the rare unlocks.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why are so many of the new guns semi-auto burst?
And why are they so terrible? :negative:

Hurricane is still in, and still awesome.

Sniper Rifles also seem really good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pruney posted:

I'm already near 100k so I'll get a rare pack

Also how do you rank up the weapons..?

By unlocking duplicates in packs, same for classes and weapon upgrades.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, and hey for some reason the Human Kineticist has a free extra ability where once you get six kills you can hold melee to 'ascend' and have zero cooldown and cost shields. If you have good cover you can just sit and spam combos.

Is she the only class with a bonus power like that?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The base classes all seem really garbage, with the exception of Infiltrators. I had a lot more fun once I got some of the Uncommon and Rare classes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just the main target.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Thanks. Anyone have thoughts on +30% all combo damage and all combo radius vs 20% defense debuff on biotic affected enemies? How does that stack with Annihilation Field's 20%? Is it additive or multiplicative?

If I recall, all bonuses were additive in ME 3, so I'm going to guess it's the same here.

As for combo damage vs. defense debuff, I think it'll depend on if you're one of the classes that can prime armored/shielded targets. If you have Annihilation Field or Singularity, it's worth considering the debuff, but I don't actually know for sure which is better. If you can't prime armor targets then go combo damage 100% of the time since the stuff you're priming will be low health, and all you'll be looking to do is get off big explosions.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Origin ID is Nim998, spamming lots of silver missions while I level stuff up.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 22, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nechronic posted:

What classes do you all feel are effective in silver right now based on powers? I feel like all my guns are poo poo and I'd rather not have to rely on them. I have a salarian infiltrator at V and his sticky grenades actually feel good to use if you are ok with exhausting every ammo box on the map. They don't break your cloak so I assume they get the cloak damage bonus and you can drop up to four at a time.

Well, I'm stuck in a waiting room for the next hour, so here's some classes that work fine on Silver even with awful gear...

Common:

Human Infiltrator: Best common class in my opinion. Sticky Grenades provides huge burst damage. Run in, empty your grenade stock on a priority target, then cloak out, restock and repeat. Gets even better when you have a real gun to use in between. Just like in ME 3, Infiltrators are gud.
Human Vanguard: Crap damage, but you're very durable once you max out Charge and can spam it to keep your shields stable.
Human Engineer: Likewise low damage, but you have a lot of control. Cryo and Overload both have a short CC effect, and the Assult Turret pulls a fair amount of aggro.

Above Common:

Pretty much anything? There are a handful of lemons, but most of the unlock classes are decent enough. Some them are also flat out busted. I recommend you get lucky and open some of the Ultra-rares asap as all but one of them are stupid good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

If you have garbage guns and no classes above the starters, I'd say Adept, Engineer and Sentinel are good, in that order.

But the Adept's cooldowns are so looooong, and Shockwave is a garbage power for garbage people :(

moist turtleneck posted:

Bronze definitely feels harder than ME3

I feel like even as a Level 1 Adept I could one-shot mooks with biotic explosions back then

Combos do about the same amount of damage, but they've made them a lot harder to pull off. There are only like three or four classes in the entire roster who can both prime and detonate.

They also removed Warp, so priming stuff with shields or armor is almost impossible. Lance is a sad, sad replacement. Stupid thing doesn't even arc over cover.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 22, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

EDIT2: If you pick up Asari Adept, you're set, I think. I've got one and it's the only thing I run. It's sorta ridiculous how good having a permanent aoe primer and 0 cooldown detonator are.

She is very good. The Human Kineticist is also insane if you like Biotic characters.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

precision posted:

My biggest gripe with pubbies right now is they never use goddamn missiles. Again. :shepicide:

One thing I like a lot about this iteration of the multiplayer is that the new mobility lets you play a lot more conservative with your consumables if you're smart about it. You never get cornered, so you're a lot more free to rotate around the map, picking off smaller stuff until the mini-bosses are all that remains.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ijyt posted:

I got lucky with my first box and got the Angara Avenger, I absolutely love it. It can probably perma-stealth a round with enough packs and remembering where the resupplies are, the upgraded stealth field keeps you stealthed during an entire deactivate, and it's saved so many team members already.

Yeah, he gets my vote for best clutch class at the moment. The range on his strike power is also nuts, and if you take the damage mitigation upgrade he can drive into a pack of enemies, unload his grenades, and cloak away no problem.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

What is a good build for the Angara Avenger? Just got him and am running it with the Widow, so skills are pretty irrelevant for Bronze.

Here's the build from the guy who solo'ed gold with one. Personally, I might go for a few more points in the Sticky Grenade at the expense of Stealth Grid. but that's only relevant for a Rank X build. The non-maxed build he posted should do you fine.

Also, drop the Sniper Rifle and equip the best SMG you've got. Your basic attack sequence is to Strike in and use the 5s sun to unload a bunch of bullets and grenades. If you really want to dump, then your biggest alpha strike is Stealth Grid > Avenger Strike > All your Grenades > Empty weapon clip > Stealth Grid out. It's resource intensive, but I can strip more than half the health off of a Hydra mech with the full combo and it will outright kill anything that isn't a mini-boss.

Fake Edit: Oh, and take heed. There's a bug with Stealth Grid that causes it to end early if you're not hosting the game. Booooo!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

"A large portion of the time is spent in stealth but it doesn't make you immortal. If you stealth in the line of sight of enemies, they can still shoot at you. Walking too close to any enemy will cause them to try to melee you and dogs aren't affected at all. Some enemies such as bosses or Beserkers will still fire their AoE attacks in your general direction."

Well this finally explains why the hell Stealth Grid seems to fail half the time I used it. The ability doesn't say anything about this so like half the time I activated the ability it wasn't giving me the cloaked visual effect and I was confused as hell.

No, that's a bug. Normally, enemies can still hit you, but the cloak is up and they'll stop shooting after a second. If you're hosting the match you never lose the stealth effect early, no matter how much fire you're taking.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Digirat posted:

It doesn't matter if they show up in more expensive packs anyway. A common showing up in a veteran pack isn't going to replace the guaranteed uncommon in the pack.

^ The only reason to buy cheaper packs is efficiency. It let's you unlock some decent gear and characters more quickly than the higher tier stuff.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

precision posted:

Yeah I mean I'm buying Basic packs only because I do plan on maxing out a lot of stuff because the MP is horribly addictive, but also the way the classes work now, I do want to get the classes all up to Rank X because of the way you're encouraged to level every class so you can have massive passive boosts for all your dudes.

It's not like ME 3, Passives use their own leveling bar that isn't impacted by Rank or Prestige. The only thing that matters is which class you're playing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

precision posted:

Oh I see what you're saying, so all Soldier classes count toward the Soldier passive, gotcha.

I still want everyone at Rank X so I can make them look as pretty as possible :colbert:

Yeah. It's great because once you get a class to 20 you can just stick to playing gold+ from then one. No more restarting at level 1 every ten hours or so.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eh, most of the guns being trash is true in ME 3 too... and also nearly every multiplayer shooter one could name.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If only you could pull teammates.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Connection dropped on wave 5 of a gold solo.

gently caress you too game. gently caress. You.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

anime tupac posted:

How are you soloing gold this early?? legit question, i dont know how goons connote earnestness

The Agaran Avenger is broken. Zero cooldown stealth and high burst damage. Kill everything.

Edit: I also think that reddit build is slightly off. Better to split some points between Grid and Sticky Grenade. The fact that you can throw your Grenades without breaking stealth is pretty busted.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 24, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think they really messed up the balance for any class with Power Cell abilities. The Avenger is the worst offender since she has two on top of a solid mobility/cc power, but anyone else with stuff like Stealth Grid, Sticky/Frag Grenade benefits. Because ammo crates are personal and not team use this time around, you can easily spam without fear of ever depleting all the Cells on the map. As a result, the only "cooldown" on the powers is the time it takes to run from one ammo crate to another.

And again, the fact that you can Grenade while stealthed is just hilarious. I've cleared entire waves without ever leave stealth. If you unlock the Avenger, enjoy it while you can. No way in hell her kit goes unnerfed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Honestly it seems like they have completely hosed the balance altogether. From memory the only really broken class in me3 was saleng and that was very situational.

Weapon tuning is also off. SMGs and Sniper Rifles are fine, but Shotties and ARs both do pitiful damage. Over it's not toooo bad, and it's still a ton of fun. They just need to roll out a few balance patches to smooth out the bumps.

Edit: Also, I'm doing Gold runs for the next couple hours. Feel free to join me if you're half way decent, Nim998 on Oirgin.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 24, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Two Finger posted:

It just seems to me like the enemies are far tougher than they should be. Two blasts with my Dhan only drops a Mook if they are both head shots. Fully evolved biotic charge doesn't even strip half a mooks health. A whole clip from an AR to kill a Mook seems too much. A biotic explosion isn't the big deal it used to be. Do they even do splash damage?

the Dhan is a shotgun, and shotguns are real bad currently. Get a good SMG; the Charger is the best common one. Biotic Charge is less potent than in ME 3 because it doesn't prime anymore so you can't do Charge>Nova anymore for a quick combo.

As for combos themselves, remember that they have a damage multiplier based on difficulty. They do pisspoor DPS on bronze,, but much better in Silver and Gold.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pierson posted:

Interesting. Sounds like Bronze/Silver are for pubbing and Gold/Plat require actual team-building and communication?

Bronze and Silver are both puggable, provided you're playing a decent class and have a few levels under your belt. I'd only pug gold right now if you're playing one of the OP classes and are confident in your ability to carry.

Edit: You also get looong queue times in gold, because the game is still so new. It helps a lot if you're playing something that can solo the first couple waves while you wait for people to join in.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 24, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what those 'op classes' are and why they are so op?

The short version is "does this class have Stealth Grid?" because access to a stealth with zero cooldown is broken. That's only two classes right now: the unquenchable murder vortex that is the Angaran Avenger, and the somewhat more reasonable Asari Huntress. Either one can move and act pretty much at will, even staying invisible for 100% of the match if they really wanted to. This is priceless in pugs because it means you can complete objectives, revive teammates, or just do whatever. The world is your oyster. The Infiltrators (human or salarian) can manage a budget version of this with Tactical Cloak, but because you're bound by the cooldown you have to be a lot, lot more catious.

Below the stealth classes are the high impact damage characters. Stuff like the Human Kineticist, Asari Duelist, Asari Adept, Krogan Vanguard, or Krogan Mercenary. Anyone who's either got high damage baked into their kit, or is tanky enough to just stand there and dump thermal clips while in full view. You can output enough damage to make up for awful pugs, but without stealth you're always going to be somewhat at their mercy when it comes to clearing objectives.

Honorable mention for the Angara Insurgent. He's not very good in pugs, but he's got the best kit with Shield Boost which makes him a stellar team player.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Second disconnect in gold today. They need to fix dis poo poo.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FYI: Target Weak Points., especially if you have a sniper rifle. I see way too many pubbies ignore weak points in favor of dumping all their shots center mass. Not only does it give you a massive damage boost, but it'll even cripple some enemies. E.g. shooting out the eye lasers on a Hydra mech will disable its rocket barrage, turning it into a big useless sack of hitpoints.

Where are the weak points, you ask? Easy. Does it have a head? If yes, that's the weak point. If no, look for the obvious red glowy bit, and that'll be what you want to shoot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's not too bad. If you're sending teams to do all your Strike Missions and doing the ones you can yourself then you should get the 190 you need easily before the current equipment rotates.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Only N7 stuff I got was Angara Avenger twice, could be worse I guess. Definitely going to start leveling that since it sounds strong. Also got a bunch of weapons to test out obviously.

Congratulations, you got the single best Ultra-rare in the game. Level her up and ride the gravy train until she gets nerfed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Another dumb question: Is anyone else getting constantly disconnected from the network while playing MP? Bone goons I play with have been seeing it since launch.

Yes, it's happening across platforms. On PC and I get disconnected from maybe 1/10 games.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wilekat posted:

Edit: Also what does resetting your level do when you hit 20? The popup is totally unhelpful and google is suggesting it does... nothing?

It resets you to level 1, and nothing else. They decoupled Prestige XP into its own bar, so now resetting it's just a super slow way to respec.

If it wasn't obvious, don't ever reset your level. It's a complete waste.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

So I would get benefits to power recharge rates across all characters just by playing a bunch as an Engineer? No promotion required. That seems... odd.

Yep! It's a great change because it means you can just stick to playing gold+ once you hit 20 on the stuff you want to play. No more slumming in Bronze/Silver pubs when you need to reset and your trusted group is offline.

Piell posted:

Anyone else unable to send strike teams on the missions that you can either send a strike team or play multiplayer yourself? I get disconnected whenever I try, though I can send dudes on normal strike missions just fine.

Yes, I've had this happen a few times. No idea what's causing it, but it's a real pain in the rear end.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Promotion isn't worthless guys it gives you 25 APEX points :v:

Oh Boy!

Anyhoo, doing a few more Golds before bed. Any goons want some free credits? You don't even have to be good; I just need warm bodies to do devices while I kill everything.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Two Finger posted:

It's weird but melee seems far and away the most effective strategy now.

Part of this is because the only +damage equipment available at the moment is the one that gives 75% to melee. The other part is due to people not having Rank X in the good weapons yet. Once you see folks maxing out stuff like the Vanquisher and Hurricane, melee will start to fall off.

Edit: And speaking of equipment, if you're having trouble getting Mission Funds, consider downloading the Apex HQ app. on your phone. It lets you do Strike Team missions while you're away from your computer/console.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 25, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Going to be starting some gold runs in about an hour (~8:30am PST). Happy to carry any goons who want some free XP/Credits.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's only 7:22, so no!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

precision posted:

The sound of the MP in this game is so useless/repetitive that I really prefer to like, talk to people, otherwise I'm just gonna put on an audiobook while I play.

I listen to pop music. It's a good way to relax and zone out while I drag pugs through gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ShadowHawk posted:

Do combos do more damage if the priming/detonating power are higher skill level? I think that's how it worked in part 3.

Yes. I'm not sure if the modifiers are the same, but they're there.

• Locked thread