Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I've been rocking the Turian and Human soldiers, both with Sustained Fire and a Revenant/Raptor combo. I've never seen Hydras go down so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Vanquisher has less of a recoil and feels smoother to handle. There's also some mumblings about it having too much of a damage modifier against weakpoints, but nothing confirmed, I think. Other than that, it's rare, so you can get it to rank X faster than you could the Black Widow.

That said, I still prefer the Black Widow. Looks better, sounds better and deals with hard targets better.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

chami posted:

Don't raiders take three shots for the Vanquisher on Gold? I had a terrible game least night where I was flubbing headshots and raiders were taking three shots with a Vanq 2 w/ barrel and a sniper amp 1.

I'm not sure about the Vanq, but it definitely only takes 2 bodyshots with the BW to kill a mook.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, soldiers can carry a lot. Besides, the only thing I need to recharge is Turbocharge anyway and its still fast enough that I have it when I need it.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Some guy over on Reddit did some testing and the shotgun smart choke mod does literally nothing. Wonder how many other weapon mods are bugged and if any of them will get fixed thursday.

A lot of the comments in that thread mention the smart choke only working on a target, not a wall, which is the way it worked in ME3 and probably how it still works in MEA.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The Outlaw Hydra tries to have a Sync Kill when it gets low on health but what ends up happening is it just beats the poo poo out of you and doesn't insta-kill you, and even if it does put you down you can still be helped up.

This would have been a perfectly reasonable iteration of sync kills - bring you down from however much health you have, but still allow you to be revived by teammates/first aid pack. I don't necessarily have an issue dodging ascendant sync kills and there's only ever 1 fiend in the wave so it isn't super hard to Cobra and finish it off so it stops bothering you while you're doing objectives, but its still highly annoying when it sneaks up behind you and just sync kills you with no warning.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The last upgrade for Barrier, Saving Barrier, actually keeps you alive after sync kills. It goes through the animation and you survive with full shields and a little health left.

This is great, but only limits build diversity, especially for vanguards who are all cookie cutter now anyway.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Ambaire posted:

I'm guessing you read the first thread the guy posted and assumed the one I linked was the same. The thread I linked was the second time this guy tested the smart choke, this time versus live targets.

You're totally right, I was assuming the first thread.

Oh well, hopefully this is addressed in the upcoming patch.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Bootcha posted:

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA Build for DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA Soldier
Turbocharge 6 - 4a 5a 6b
Conc Shot 6 - 4a 5b 6a
Grenades 1
Munitions 6 - 4a 5b 6a/b (Pick what you want for 6th power, gold runs usually benefit with debuff)
Fitness 6 - 4a 5a/b 6a (Running doesn't count as evasion, the dash does, but the cover benefit is pretty meh as well)

Wat you do is git da Turbocharge up first, den you git Munitions, den Fitness, den Conc Shot.

SHOOTAS
Charger - Is da bestest.
Eagle - Is ol'roight.
Revenant - Need allota teef 'n boxes ta get it gud. But den is roight proppa dakka.

My build is identical except I run Turbocharge 6a and Conc Shot 4b. Fitness 5a is excellent because going behind cover means your shields start regenerating almost instantly, letting you stay safe in the shield-gate.

I also have 1 human soldier running Munitions 6a (using a Revenant and a Hurricane) and another human soldier running Munitions 6b (using a Piranha and a Raptor).

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The Saber rifle is in this game right?
And it hopefully still has that very satisfying sound it makes when firing?

Like the Claymore, the Saber didn't make the trip to Andromeda.

EDIT: Speaking of the Saber, I was thinking about the semi-auto rifles and what BW could do to 'fix' them. Increasing the damage is nice and all, but I'm thinking of a slight damage boost plus a significant increase to their weakpoint multiplier. So tapping someone in the head with a Mattock 3 times (?) would be enough to kill them, which should equate to the Valkyrie only needing 1 burst to the head.

Also, the Soned should probably get some kind of in-built stagger/panic thing.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 6, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

precision posted:

Bastion. It gives you full shields AND a ton of DR which is generally worth more than being able to charge again slightly sooner; it lets you do more facepunching and less Charging so you're doing more damage. Your other passives will make the cooldown on Charge really short anyway so the difference is less than a second IIRC. Now that said if you go with Shock Trooper you can do some crazy things with Charging into and then out of groups, but that is really dangerous and can be hosed up by someone killing the mook you were planning on using as an anchor for your escape route.

Bastion on HumGuard, but Shock Trooper on KroGuard. KroGuards don't have Barrier, so they can't get shields back by punching, so being able to Charge once every ~3 seconds lets them keep the Rage health regen running. Also, with DR bonuses from Fortify and Rage, the DR from Bastion becomes less desirable.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Honestly, I'm not surprised by the changes. Even in ME3 they never really made big sweeping changes, just small ones on a weekly basis.

At the same time, I don't really have any issues with the current balance now, overall. The semi-auto rifles sucked, but hopefully the ROF changes fixes that. The automatic rifles were fine. Shotguns were the weapon I thought lacking.

Then again, I pretty much exclusively play the soldiers and the sentinels.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
They actually added a new class but didn't tell anyone.

Salarian Architect. Remnant VI, Barricade, Incinerate.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

This is a mattock 3 on silver with an AR Barrel VI and a soldier with several + weapon damage mods

Thank god they nerfed the damage after fixing the fire rate!

Not sure why you're surprised, the Mattock has never been a good weapon.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

Observations I don't think were mentioned in the patch notes:

-Disarming is way faster now. Feels like 3x faster.

-You can now get giant enemies as assassination targets. On silver it gave me hydras 3/4 times. So basically welcome back assassination as the RPG-or-get-hosed objective type on gold.

-They fixed stealth grid's visuals going away early so well that stealth grid will now sometimes make you permanently appear invisible.

Eh, there's only 1 hydra per wave anyway, unless they increased the number of giant enemies that spawn.

And the stealth grid perma-invis one has been there since before the patch.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

except that 3 of the 4 targets in the wave were hydras like I just said, and yes you can see 2 hydras at once.

Yeah, I misread what you typed. That's pretty poo poo, though.

I thought part of the balance of the game was having lesser giant enemies to your relatively lower damage output, so this isn't a fun change.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I believe its per bullet. There's a goon who's making a spreadsheet on TTK for all weapons, he'd probably be able to confirm.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Anybody have a good build for Asari Adept?

6 Annihilation: 4a/5a/6b
6 Lance: 4a/5b/6b
6 Barrier: 4a/5a/6b
5 Offensive Biotics: 4b/5a
3 Throw

Alternatively you can skip Throw altogether and get 6a from Offensive Biotics.

Carry a Charger. Run into enemies, use Lance to detonate. Use Throw to detonate some other guy and get some shields back from Biotic Link (Barrier 5a). Run into more enemies to get shields back from Biotic Link. Lance some more. Shoot people who aren't quite dead yet. Never have to worry about dogs or redbar mooks ever again because they start floating the moment you get close to them.

The build is very high-risk high-reward, because your staying alive is contingent on you running close to enemies, which is counter-intuitive. Don't just run at them, run into the nearest cover that's near them. Build is great if you have a partner to roam with, especially a person who can detonate/prime for you (I found Human Vanguard with both Nova and Shockwave specced to prime works really well with this build).

At the same time, don't be afraid to hide in cover and let the enemies close in on you to enter your Annihilation, before you start blowing them up.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Relentless posted:

Almost correct, but you want Barrier 5b for constant shield regen while punching.

I don't punch. I get constant shield regen from things entering Annihilation and using Throw.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Relentless posted:

Try punching. With Juggernaut Shield, the bonus from Barrier 5b and 30% from a pistol melee mod on the Charger, you hit like a goddamn truck.

I have. I don't like it. If I wanted to punch things I'd play one of the vanguards. I'm playing an adept, I wanna sling space magic and make things blow up.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Relentless posted:

That's fair. I play my Asari Adept in a weird way. Rounds 1, 2, 4 and 5 I mostly just dick around with my sniper rifle popping heads and melee anything that gets too close to death while it's floating.

Rounds 3 and 6 I pull out the charger and dash around like a madman punching bitches.

Round 7 is about a minute 1:15 of sniper time, 30 seconds of running around and 15 seconds of hiding.

I generally run into a group of enemies, detonate twice then finish off whatever's left. If I see something shoot at me, I run/dash towards them to get them floating and then detonate/shoot. Rinse repeat. Gets pretty hectic if I find myself surrounded, then its a mad dash of running about trying to get things into Annihilation so I can blow them up.

I also use the Piranha, which is a great boon when fighting the bigger targets. Just hide behind the nearest cover and blind-fire in their general direction in between Lances.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
They did fix the Anointed so that they can actually hit you when you're in close range. Their bullets used to magically miss half the time when you were close enough to them.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Really? I saw a pair of soldiers using them not long after I started multiplayer and they were just melting stuff.

Soldiers are pretty much great with just about any weapon.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

precision posted:

Well, to be fair, while combos do less damage this time, you can much more easily do combos in this one. You don't even have to try very hard to have a constant stream of tech/fire/biotic explosions, whereas in ME3MP they were either somewhat rare or you had a team specced specifically for explosions.

Then again, in ME3MP some powers actually did good damage (RIP Dark Channel 2012-2017, though I hear Invasion is basically MEA's version of it?)

Yeah, and for the longest time, you could only get tech/fire/cryo explosions if you killed the target with the detonating power, so the only people who could detonate on a regular basis were biotics. And even after that change, tech/cryo combos weren't as powerful as biotic/fire combos.

This time around, with the looser restrictions on comboing, and the existence of powers that can detonate and prime, I think they're going for quantity not quality.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

^

Not only did they strip out a bunch of primers, but the longer cooldowns mean you can't combo nearly as often. It's no coincidence that the Asari Adept and Human Kineticist are they only decent combo classes. They should have upped the damage to account for how much harder they are to pull off now.

There are more primers in this game than before. And no, combos aren't harder to pull off now, not if you're working as a team.

RBA Starblade posted:

Working together isn't the issue. Anything dies when four people wear it down. The problem is working together to set up and detonate a biotic combo does less damage and kills much slower than the two biotic players just punching the target instead.

Also the game crashed on me when I detonated enough combos at once, so, you know

You're under the impression that combos are only done by biotics. A human engineer can easily set up an entire field of cryo detonations, which any number of people can set off.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I was going to say biotic/tech since I specifically mentioned detonating a fire combo by charging but I didn't think I needed to. It's still the same underlying problem; they're more involved and yet weaker than just punching someone's lights out. Like in ME3 the vanguard relied on the nova combo because nova was also a powerful skill, and also was a detonator. That's where the damage came from. In ME:A nova barely does any damage at all. Shockwave sure doesn't. Charge is weaker as well. Every single thing I can do is weaker than just pressing Y a few times.

And at the same time, you couldn't use charge or nova to detonate a fire combo in ME3. The increased flexibility in combos allows for more combos to be set off, which is why the damage is lower this time around.

Should they increase combo damage? Yeah, sure. It could actually stand to do a bit more than it does now. But that doesn't mean combos are completely useless now.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You could, actually. They made tech explosions universal in ME3 so biotics could set them off. The opposite wasn't true though, tech powers couldn't set off biotics but now they can.

Oh, my mistake then. Must have misremembered.

Still, combos are easier to pull off now, not harder. Increasing the damage too much would probably make this already fast game go by even faster. I'm not saying that they shouldn't increase combo damage, I'm saying that combos aren't weak right now and the CC they bring is still valuable.

And yes, punching does more damage, but you can only punch one person are a time (maybe 3 if you're the Krogan Gladiator), and you're leaving yourself open to a lot of incoming fire while punching. Works for the Vanguards, works somewhat for the Asari Adept, doesn't work at all for a lot of the other classes.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

Right now combos are just a lot of fireworks that you use to knock something over so it doesn't attack you for a couple seconds. They are not competitive with the current two real sources of damage, sniper rifles and melee.

Maybe that's what they designed combos to do this time around. Short-term AoE CC, so the real damage can continue uninterrupted. Yes, a Vanguard can punch things and kill them faster than an engineer, but wouldn't everyone's lives be easier if those things the Vanguard was punching were all stunned or frozen?

Yes, there's an argument to be made that classes that rely on powers should only have to use powers to kill things and not have to rely on weapons, but there is no class out there that only relies on one source of damage. Even the Vanguard uses his powers in between punching things, why can't the engineer use his gun to finish off the things he's CCed?

(Of course there's the whole thing about most guns being terrible unless a soldier is using them, but that's another thing altogether).

In any case, they've already said they're looking at power/weapon balance for the next patch. If it still ends up being lackluster, then we can all quit and play something else.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

Zakmonster, I would agree with you if not for the very long cooldowns/high shield costs that mean combos aren't normally something you'll have available super often, the fact that disabling enemies is already something many powers are designed to do, and the fact that CC doesn't really do anything to non-basic enemies (we could not stunlock berserkers or nullifiers even with infinite combos and concussive shots). The idea of having combos be a flashy CC thing isn't bad, but that doesn't seem to be how they're designed at all.

For example I tried getting the energy drain primer ability for the asari sentinel, and found that using both of my 10+ second cooldown abilities on a lone silver assembler for a tech combo left it at over 50% health. So the combo was contributing extremely little damage (and the electrical field left behind did so little that I couldn't even see health bars of enemies inside of it move), but the detonator in that combo would be knocking an enemy down on its own anyway. So the combo doesn't really do anything for you there. Similarly, overload and concussive shot used as detonators will already disable bros on their own without the combo.

The tech field stuns all enemies that enter it, which can give you a bit of breathing room, and yes its damage is negligible. But the tech combo will stun a berserker or a nullifier for a short time, and also things around it, which buys you even more time to focus your fire and kill the threat before the threat gets to kill you. That short CC gives you time to complete an objective, or run away, or let your shields regen, or save a teammate.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I've never found using a combo to be a detriment.

Once again, I'm all for increasing combo/power damage and getting some of these weapons retuned.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

It's such a small stun as to not be worth it.

Killing an enemy is better than slowing them down for slightly longer than it takes you to finish casting an ability.

It will interrupt whatever they're doing, which means not eating a flak cannon to the face, or a hydra barrage. Sure, the stun might not be too valuable on softer targets, who die pretty quick, but it has its uses.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

What points? Their posts in this thread have become just about nothing but condescending and contentless "actually you are wrong" shots without a loving bit of explanation. Their standpoint aligns with yours which is probably why you think it's good, but they haven't so much as made one goddamn attempt at a convincing argument, whereas you and zakmonster have actually had something to say. I don't agree with what you're saying, but it's not white noise.

My standpoint has always been and still is that this is a bad way to design an action game. Fast feedback and a sense of powerful impact on the world around you makes action games satisfying. Having to pour literally 30 bullets into the most basic enemy in the game to kill it feels weak and impactless, and it looks really loving silly too. Obviously this is subjective but I think a low TTK on basic enemies is one of the most important things to nail in an action game, and mass effect just doesn't do this outside of singleplayer on the lower difficulties. This part has nothing to do with challenge or balance even, it's about the feel of the game, and if an action game doesn't feel good in any way, there is no point in playing it whatsoever. IMO, right now the game is carried by the fact that the sniper rifles feel really good to shoot, because almost no other guns are worth using on the difficulty you are heavily incentivized to play. I am only still at it because I've been unlocking new sniper rifles, which are all that kills at a satisfying rate.

Relentless is right that we wouldn't be harping on this stuff so much if we didn't want the game to be better. I don't want to be too down on andromeda but it really sucks when something has this much potential and wastes it. I'm also salty about the number of ways they either didn't improve on ME3 or flat out took steps backward, when that was already a badly flawed game. This is why I'm so vocal about it.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time I'm not really feeling the lack of impact. Granted, it might be because the weapons I tend to use are pretty strong, but when I can hit Turbocharge and delete a berserker in one clip of the Thokin, I'm thinking that its pretty well-balanced. And I've had plenty of games finish in about 15-17 minutes where no one played a punchy guy or a sniper.

Also, I actually prefer fighting slightly tougher mooks and less giant enemies, than fighting nothing but atlases and phantoms for an entire wave. You can say that mooks are bullet-sponges in MEA, but Atlases were even worse and you had to fight 6 of them in wave 10 of ME3.

There is also a potential problem with the soldiers and the human sentinel, if you're going to buff weapons/nerf enemy health such that TTK is more reminiscent of ME3. The weapons platforms are pretty drat good with just about any weapons (typically the full autos), so if weapons get buffed then they're likely to become overpowered. So either the soldiers get nerfed, which will piss a bunch of people off, or the weapons don't get buffed as much as people would like, which will piss people off as well.

A possible solution is to make mooks easier to kill by increasing power and weapon damage, such that any class has little to no issues dealing with them, while increasing the tankiness of shielded/armored units (excepted for the Anointed, those guys are tanky enough), such that TTK for these mobs are the same as it is now.

Also, accuracy decay needs to be reduced by a significant amount.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

On what difficulty? Admittedly it was Thokin 1 and a lower level Turbocharge, but it wasn't even a quarter of a Berserker's health on bronze. Does it get that powerful at Thokin X?

I really hope so it's a cool gun!

Gold. Thokin 9, Barrel 10, Magazine 5.

EDIT: On a level 20 human soldier with Turbocharge and Munitions Training maxed out. This is why I'm hesitant on overbuffing weapons, because the soldiers are already drat good as it is.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Nice, glad to hear it gets good. Now if it'd just stop giving me scattershots.

How'd you spec your soldier? Just starting on mine.

6 Turbocharge: 4b/5a/6a
6 Concussive Shot: 4b/5b/6a
1 Frag Grenade
6 Munitions Training: 4a/5b/6a
6 Combat Fitness: 4a/5a/6a

I'm still unsure about the 4th rank of Concussive Shot. Either works, really.

I also tend to go with Disruptor ammo, if I can remember to equip it.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, I'm going to level my other human soldier and spec him for grenading things. Apparently that build is pretty fun too, if a little to attached to the ammo boxes.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

comatose posted:

Destroyers. They're super weak when they open their chest cannon thing.

Yeah. Shields seem to be far more durable this time around, while armor and health are relatively weak in comparison. It takes a fair amount of effort to strip the shields from Destroyers/Anointed, but once that's gone their armor/health disappears pretty quickly.

EDIT: All bets go out the window when you're talking about fiends. Those guys move too fast and have too long a reach for the ridiculous nonsense they can do. They need to add some additional requirements before they can sync kill you (like the Phantom needed to stagger you first).

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Small point which may have passed people by (I'm think I must be the only person in the world who even noticed it was even broken), but the combat cloak evolution of tactical cloak has been fixed on the quiet.

You get proper cooldown reduction for breaking it early now. Awesome.

We knew it was broken (someone mentioned it earlier in the thread), and someone on Reddit noted that it had been ninja-fixed. But yeah, I might actually play Infiltrators now.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
The only infiltrators I've ever liked were the Salarian Infiltrator and the Turian Ghost in ME3.

I know the Salarian Infiltrator is in MEA, but for some reason it just doesn't feel the same. I think it's because I can play a soldier and use a sniper rifle just as well (if not better) than an infiltrator. I know I keep harping on about soldiers ITT, but its only because I can actually play them well in this game, compared to ME3, where they always felt a little underwhelming compared to all the explosion-machines and the Krogan murdertrain.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
It's likely that the equipment items were like this from the beginning and they can't change the numbers on them without a patch. And they didn't think about buffing it last patch because they probably don't know how much to buff it by without potentially causing weapons to be overpowered down the road.

I'd rather they make small increments rather than one huge change which they might have to nerf later.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
They also did say they're working on something that will allow them to have weekly balance patches.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
https://www.twitch.tv/bioware

Happens every Thursday at 1pm PST, I think, I get confused by your American timezones. Basically it happens at 4am for me so I never watch it.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Digirat posted:

Using the revenant on gold with the double damage glitch didn't feel OP in the slightest. Still took ~15 bullets to kill bog standard enemies on a soldier with an AR barrel IV. And the revenant is one of the best assault rifles, such as they are.

Which means worse guns like the avenger, zalkin, cyclone, mattock, and halberd are still going to underperform with literally doubled damage. They don't need to gently caress around with little changes because "oh nooo what if we made something slightly overpowered in a co-op game," they need to bring out the big numbers.

There is a sixth map, they just won't use it for anything but once-a-weekend events for no reason.

Revenant 10 with a Barrel 10 and the new Combatives item and I kill an Outlaw Raider in about 20 bullets, not using the ammo glitch. This is assuming a medium distance and most of the bullets are hitting the general area of the raider's torso.

That's about 2 seconds of fire, which isn't that bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

I have to disagree with you. Using that glitch on a soldier, I was able to top the scoreboard of a game despite coming in late.

Yeah, I decided to try the glitch. Piranha, human soldier, Turbocharge and killed a Hydra in one magazine.

Fun, I guess, but not something I want to be happening on the reg.

• Locked thread