Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Phrosphor posted:

I am guessing it was just a weird bug from the preview that my Krogan Engineer had human voice acting?

That was the positional audio bug where you'd hear teammate gunshots and voice clips as if they were right next to you no matter where you were. That's been fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most of the guns I've experienced so far sound amazing so you might be experiencing a bug (which is believable, as there was a big sound bug with positional audio that got fixed already).

Or you just have strange taste if you don't think the katana and viper sound good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

no smol come back there's all these new classes and I don't know how to build them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The length of rounds feels a lot better to me. Just two normal waves between an objective and then leaving after only two objectives keeps things more interesting.

Two Finger posted:

I heard rumblings that sync kills would now only happen if you were below a certain health/shield. Has anyone had a chance to test this?

Either I've been paying no attention to my health and shields or it's total bullshit. I just had another ascendant instantly snap next to me from and trigger a sync kill at the same time out of nowhere, in a relatively low-lag game. I was chilling out a fair distance away with full health and nearly full shields. if I meet the person who was responsible for that mechanic not only coming back but somehow being worse this time around, only one of us is walking out of the room intact, unless they are nice to me

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you should have to play one full wave before your boosts are consumed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

shadok posted:

I played ME3 multiplayer obsessively non-stop for eighteen months or something. I've been really looking forward to this but first impressions are... I'm not sure. I want to love it but it's not love at first sight.

Also, did the multiplayer servers just poo poo the bed? I was in the middle of a mission and got disconnected, can't get back in.

People in the discord are saying origin went down just now, so probably. It's because they're preparing a big apology to me for the sync kills.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

IIRC we had a google spreadsheet for mass effect 3 to add our name and platform. We should probably do that so two finger doesn't have to edit a post every time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Naw, ME3MP gun advances gave you extra ammo in the clip, pretty sure it was also extra reserve ammo. This is why it was imperative to get a Harrier to extra ranks as fast as possible, base damage was fine, base ammo was dire.

Reserve capacity went up but clip size did not.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah the balance is pretty clearly still utter garbage

How fast do you get killed on silver and gold? In ME3 it felt like most classes couldn't last an instant out of cover on gold without instantly dropping to the health gate, but from watching some streams it seems like normal characters don't melt quite so fast and the enemies have fewer attacks like phantom/atlas guns that will instantly burst you to the health gate. You feel a lot more survivable on bronze here than in ME3, and I hope it stays that way. I like having a bit more warning before you fall over, especially since getting downed in general is more dangerous now.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 22, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Could you run around with your missile out in ME3? The hindered mobility in this one kinda throws me off. Plus I forgot how it was only having 2 of each supply :(

You are actually more mobile with the new rocket launcher, because you can just ready it or turn it off right away without having to physically get it out. Just press the button and click as soon as you need it, no need to run around with it readied.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does origin have a screenshot button?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^ Geth Trooper was an active and vocal member of the bioware forums back in the day.

Grabs were the sacrificial lamb given up so that we might have better controls.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

I started with Human Soldier first, mostly to learn the levels and controls and whatnot. I'm probably going to switch to another class and rarely play the soldier at some point, but I'm curious about the turbocharge skill.

Is turbocharge garbage or am I bad and that's the class defining skill? I would probably leave that at 1 skill point and max everything else. If it's not garbage, I assume frag grenade would be the skill that you don't put points in? Kind of rough to use without the grenades being sticky. Basically I'm having a hard time evaluating skills.

Turbocharge instantly reloads your gun when you use it and the accuracy is important because andromeda added very severe accuracy decay on guns. So it's better than it seems.

With the frag grenade you have to learn to cook it. It has a 2 second fuse so you usually want to hold the button for 1.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Baron von der Loon posted:

So if I understand correctly, you first have to start unlocking everything from the basic packs before moving on to more expensive packs. How can you see if you've unlocked all the content from a specific pack?

You don't have to do that. You can buy whatever you want.

You can check the collections screen and filter by a certain rarity (common for basic packs, etc).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It doesn't matter if they show up in more expensive packs anyway. A common showing up in a veteran pack isn't going to replace the guaranteed uncommon in the pack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm carrying my Christmas color scheme over from Warframe. I will bring Christmas to the Andromeda galaxy :sun:

But will you still weave sinister crotch magic?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PSA: You can carry exploding barrels around with you using Pull. The barrels do affect your teammates. The ones ignoring the objectives and waiting for you to do them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My favorite glitch so far was some robot killing me 10 seconds before the round was over, when something propelled my ragdoll far into the abyss past the helipad, causing my body to endlessly reappear on the edge of the helipad only to go tumbling off again and again

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The adept and sentinel definitely feel like the weakest common classes. I feel like I can't do anything meaningful to big armored enemies with them (and singularity's cooldown is massive). The infiltrator and engineer especially don't have such huge deficiencies. Although I am wary of investing much in the turret, since in mass effect 3 turrets mostly became paperweights that would explode if an enemy looked at them too sternly on gold. I only ever used the geth turret as a medic station.

Overload and cryo beam are really fun to use and the infiltrator just seems solid in general, so they've become my favorite of the common classes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Which classes can self-combo the soonest?

I need more explosions.

Engineer can do it right out of the box

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That weapon they are adding is the neu-claymore right?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

New map being streamed: https://www.twitch.tv/starbuck2190

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

One of my strike teams just got a bad negative effect from losing a mission. So maybe just hurling them at the last missions available for a 5% chance of success is actually a bad idea.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

Are they supposed to be able to teleport around? Everytime I see a Fiend they do it, it looks unnatural considering their size. Two or three times now I'll see one in the distance and think I'm safe, then without warning I'm grabbed and dead.

I don't think it's my connection or the hosts, because every other enemy is moving around normal.

The netcode in general is really fucky and sometimes behaves as if you got a lag spike, but for a single enemy all by itself. For example in a very low-lag game I was waiting for an adhi to jump up to where I was. Instead of jumping it instantly teleported right next to me already halfway through its attack animation, unavoidably hitting me. Better hope it doesn't do that with a sync kill enemy!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A few disconnects and 2 crashes on PC here since the 10-hour trial first became available, and my CPU is well under the minimum requirements too. Hasn't been unreasonable at all. Sounds like it's a much bigger problem on consoles or perhaps certain hardware.

One small audio thing that could be improved is the reload sounds need to be much louder with some weapons (katana is a good example). In ME3 reloading had really distinctive sounds with a good smoke particle effect, whereas here I sometimes don't even notice the animations and sounds. Lag also makes it really vague when reloading is actually done and it's safe to sprint again--the ammo number kinda jiggles between 0 and max for a second before it settles.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Silver can suck too since pubbies still think it's Cool and Good to go in as a level 1 with a predator 1.

Also, in general, gently caress the Khett. They're way harder than the other two factions

This is definitely true on bronze. It wouldn't surprise me if the balance swung around toward remnant being hardest on gold, but right now it feels about twice as hard anytime the kett are the enemy. They're the new collectors (although still not quite as terrible as they were).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

Don't have the Revenant yet, that's the one AR I want which the game refuses to give me. And the AR problem is the same as its been since ME3. Low-damage per bullet made up for by a fast fire rate, so you need several shots to connect in order to do the same amount of damage as a Widow will in one shot, but it will take far longer. Benefits of an AR is generally larger magazine sizes so close combat isn't as punishing.

The best ARs will be the ones with higher per-bullet damage but lower mag sizes, like the Cerberus Harrier in ME3. This time around it looks to be the Thokin, although its not quite as awesome as the Harrier. I'm not sure what the stats on the Revenant are this time around and how it stacks up, but it was pretty good in ME3, even in Gold/Platinum.

Alternatively, like mentioned several times in the thread, carry the Raptor. It's a better AR than most ARs.

Eh? The revenant fell off super hard in gold in ME3. I always felt like it was a serious underperformer and I always did better when bringing other guns. This was really disappointing because it had by far the best sound in the game and if it was better I don't think I would have used anything else. So I'm very glad to hear it's a much better gun now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They really cleaned up the gear options quite a bit. In ME3 there was a huge amount of gear, much of it quite overlapping and superfluous, and it had 5 levels (which affected its quality way more than with guns--the difference between 1 and 5 extra grenades for instance). In andromeda there are just 3 uncommon and 3 rare gear items I could see in the collection, and they do not have levels. So it should be quite easy to collect them, just depends on how bioware has them set up to appear in the store (if the store is 100% automated like vermintide's contract board, it is possible one of the gears will be impossible for anyone to have until six months from now or whatever).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No, just winning games will comprise the great majority of the exp you get (and all of the money you get). Just prioritize actually doing the objectives that appear on waves 3 and 6 and you'll be helpful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oriental Hugs posted:

Anybody else having trouble with headshots? If you aim at the upper parts of their heads most of the time it counts as a normal hit.

Yes, the head hitboxes are incredibly weird and inconsistent. I've had what looked like clear shots to the chest count as headshots somehow, while shooting kett guys in the head who were lifted with Pull had no reaction at all--the bullets just passed through them without even counting as a bodyshot. I can't quite figure out where the actual crit spot is on assemblers (whether it's their red "eye" or their crotch) because shooting what looks like the same place two times has different results.

I'm really enjoying the human infiltrator. If you put your points in the right places, you can go invisible with recharging shields and throw 5 sticky grenades all of which do not break invisibility. However it seems like they changed the cloak damage bonus so it doesn't apply to the 2 seconds after you break cloak anymore--you have to get that bonus at rank 6 instead of shields regenerating while cloaked. So weapons like the incisor don't otherwise benefit much from invisibility.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

precision posted:

e: I do like how when Agents "die" they just teleport out of battle, lol

They don't. That's their decoy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AndrewFL9 posted:

Is there a way to mute them in game? When I bring up the scoreboard I can highlight the name and press mute but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Using the arrow keys to highlight instead of the mouse works for me, for whatever reason.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The zalkin is a really unfortunate gun, isn't it.There's extremely noticeable lag between pulling the trigger and shooting, it's very vague when it's fully charged, it's not clear when you can click to start another charge (and if you click too early it won't start one at all so you waste time), you're encouraged to charge it up yet cannot sprint or switch camera shoulders while it is charged, it just feels mushy and awful all around.

The cyclone actually feels pretty neat once it starts shooting, it's just underpowered.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

It is very strong, probably too strong. Barrier characters are tankier than krogan right now, which is maybe not intended.

Shame the melee in this game feels so janky thanks to the lovely p2p hosting.

It's more than being a p2p client--you'll see a lot of badness while hosting too. It becomes pretty apparent if you compare it to how melee worked in mass effect 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTaCRQNH6g&t=84s

Two things to note about ME3: First, if you are locked onto an enemy (meaning their name and health is displayed), starting your melee within a certain distance of them will rotate and slide you around with them. Second, as long as your melee completes (you don't get staggered out of it), it will connect, even if you're punching someone who got ragdolled ten meters away from you by the time the punch comes out. Andromeda does not do the second anymore, and its attempt at doing the first is very janky and poor. Player melee attacks now have a hitbox that gets checked.

As others have mentioned, it's extremely common to phase through an enemy in your melee animation, and I've had numerous cases where the enemy simply strafing a bit makes it miss because I just glide right past them. Generally my first attack on any enemy works, then it gets weird on the second. This is the part that gets exacerbated by the netcode. Speaking of, melee enemies are really terrible as a client too. I've frequently seen wraiths ten meters away from me suddenly do damage to me, then one second later teleport next to me. This is really fun on gold when they can take your shields from full to 0 in one hit, and people have gotten sync killed by fiends teleporting like this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's only hack. You generally want to spread out, but in practice one of them will probably get hit way harder than the others and you need to do two of them and then one. On gold vs kett it might be necessary to do them one at a time. Not sure as I've only fought the others on gold so far.

It needs some tuning IMO. Hack makes you defend one zone which cannot be blocked by enemies and which cannot lose progress. Upload makes you defend three zones, all of which can be blocked by enemies and which will lose progress if a player isn't there. One time we actually lost just because we ran out of time on silver, because we were fighting kett and could not keep the fucks out of the last upload zone no matter what we did, since they can spawn in that intensely. If it's really necessary to have three of them and make progress go down when a player isn't there, at least don't let enemies block progress.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

InnercityGriot posted:

I can't believe how lovely guns are in this outer space shooting game what the gently caress. Did nobody bother to test this? Yeah, bronze enemies should take a whole clip to kill, that seems fine.

Since ME3 wasn't too dissimilar it's clear that it's intentional--it's just an extremely bizarre and lovely aspect of its design, that both the developers and their core playtesters seem entirely satisfied with for whatever reason. Action games are fundamentally more satisfying when you are killing a large number of weak enemies quickly than a small number of strong enemies slowly. Right now I think I own 17 different guns, and every last one of them feels lovely and weak because regardless of how good they are relative to one another, they all still need a magazine at minimum to kill one loving enemy on silver.

The fact that this problem is alleviated by getting "better" gear only points out lovely balance and the fact that your effectiveness is determined more by gear than skill--it's not really a solution to the problem. It does mean that it gets more tolerable the longer you play though, as long as you don't want to use two thirds of the guns in the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Speaking of which, I feel like I'm having a much harder time landing headshots consistently in this than I did in ME3 multiplayer. Not sure what it is but I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Absolutely. Something feels extremely off about the critical spot hitboxes. I have had more headshots trigger off of shooting krogans in their shoulders and back of all things than their heads, blasting a wraith with a shotgun from so close that the reticle is completely filled by its head doesn't cause a headshot, getting headshots on enemies who are moving at all seems nearly impossible, etc. I still can't figure out where on earth the crit spot for the assembler, observer and nullifier are supposed to be because I will shoot at the exact same spot two times in a row and one of them will be a crit and one of them won't. One time I was shooting at some kett who got lifted with Pull, using a scoped weapon with the crosshair entirely filled by their head, and the bullets just passed right through them. Didn't even count as a body hit.

It feels like the game is somehow moving the head hitbox separately from the body hitbox, and doing so in a glitchy way that does not often result in the head hitbox actually being where it should be.

If it actually is working perfectly, then these are the most obnoxiously tiny and fiddly crit spots in any game I've ever played.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 27, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

I got the scorpion pistol. Feels like a fun pistol to have, I probably should get that extra ammo perk. Only 30 more points.

Anyone feels like this multiplayer would be just as good as me3 if they could do one solid big patch? Upload fixes, weapon tweaks, melee tweaks, some camera juttiries that could be resolved. They're so close but still has problems.

Finally, just so I understand the reason, the main idea behind getting common packs until you max stuff out is because once you level them up to ten, they drop off the loot table for the higher level packs? Plus some of the starter classes are pretty decent like infritrator.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Correct, once you've maxed out a character/weapon/weapon mod, it's removed from the drop table and won't show up anymore, so you've got better chances of getting poo poo you don't have yet/don't have maxed.

This is dependent on how the game calculates what shows up in packs, which we don't know. It's entirely possible that commons being available will only reduce the chance of getting a booster or consumable, not another kind of item.

Either way the real reason to do it is because weapon mods generally have a much lower chance of appearing than anything else, so you'll need to get through the common weapons and classes before you'll get most of the mods. And having two mods for each weapon compared to none is basically just a buff for your weapons across the board, so you'll want those common mods.

Ineffiable posted:

I really do hope that EA/Bioware/whoever is actually working on ME:A post launch realize that if they can fix up the multiplayer, they can make some good money off it for a few months. Not much can be done about the single player though, they're likely better off trying to discount the game/put it on sale and try to release a few patches. They've lost the most important battle of first impression. Probably a good idea not to do ANY single player DLC.

What will actually happen: An EA suit confusedly stares at andromeda's metacritic reception, then at the words "no season pass or day 1 DLC" on a nearby whiteboard, then back to metacritic, then back to the whiteboard. His jaw slowly falls open and a dim incandescent lightbulb briefly appears over his head, flickers, and blows out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The infiltrator, engineer and vanguard are your best options for starting out. The engineer is the best when all your stuff is 1 with nothing but your starter weapons, but the others outpace it around level 10 in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

I remember always getting level 1 ammo / single use consumables when I opened basic packs in ME3, but when I opened bigger packs I'd get 3 or 5 use consumables. I think that's the same now right?

Advanced packs at least still only give you 1 consumable per card for some reason. I forget if the better packs also do that or not. You can also get tier 1 boosters out of an advanced pack.

So I'm still reticent to waste consumables on higher difficulties because even though I have a lot, the rate that I'm getting them has sharply dropped now that I'm done buying basic packs.

• Locked thread