Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No the packs with guaranteed rares can still give uncommons too, just like with commons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is there any decent newbie guides out there for this for people who never or barely touched me:3s multiplayer?

Not that I know of, but most of it is just "shoot space man" which is pretty self-explanatory. The exceptions are waves 3 and 6, where objectives pop up and must be done before enemies stop spawning, so get those done instead of screwing around like most of the bronze randoms you'll play with will. On the extraction wave (7), enemies are infinite too, so it's actually best to stay away from the extraction point until time is almost up, maybe at 20 seconds left. If you just run to the extraction point right away and try to stay there for two minutes, you will get swarmed to death by a legion of dudes who will come in way faster than you can kill them.

Unless you're actually having trouble with bronze, I'd save your boosters for silver and gold. For a number of reasons, it's a good strategy to buy basic packs until you have all the common items maxed out. Maybe grab the occasional advanced pack since the three uncommon sniper rifles are pretty good and will help you out if you get them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Is there a way to turn down the bloodshot effect? It looks much, much redder on my screen and the whole screen has a red hue instead of just the eye-veins. Pretty tempted to avoid Krogan with how terrible that effect looks on my computer.

Don't forget the epileptic seizure-inducing flashing when the effect is about to wear off.

Seriously how did testers think that was ok, it is flat-out painful and makes me squint or close my eyes when it happens

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Getting bodyblocked in doorways is definitely a constant annoyance, especially with the dog enemies who seem able to take up an entire doorway three times as wide as them and also prevent you from boosting over their heads. I have been centimeters away from getting sync killed several times because of getting bodyblocked. A bit less friction on enemies so you can slide past when you boost would be welcome. That said the controls are leaps and bounds better than mass effect 3--I hardly ever feel like I'm fighting them, whereas in ME3 the sheer awkwardness of the movement was a constant thing dragging the game down, before you even consider that they tied 5 common and frequently-overlapping functions to the same button. I don't know if I can ever go back to 3 just because andromeda controls so much better.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I've had melee randomly stop working quite a few times on my kroguard who I built around melee.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thundercloud posted:

Is there a thing where you lure people into your game by having it as the strike team mission type and then change mission type once the game is full. It's happened to me twice on Silver and Bronze Challenges today.

It's actually just the matchmaking being dumb. If you finish an apex mission and then stay in the same lobby, it keeps the enemy and map, but the game is "custom" instead of the apex mission, and will not have the modifiers or grant the extra rewards for winning. The bug is that searching for that apex mission will join you into these lobbies.

You just have to keep trying until you find one that's actually doing the mission (or hope you get lucky with people joining your own lobby).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about the Vanquisher. I have both it and the Isharay at level 1 and didn't really give the Vanquisher a chance until last night since the Isharay does a ridiculous 1500 or something damage even at level 1, but the fact that the Vanquisher holds 4 shots per clip makes a stupidly big difference. Point at dudes and click, top the scoreboard without even trying. Half the time I don't even bother cloaking before I shoot.

e: did they do something to the XP formula? It didn't seem like it took nearly this long to level up in ME3MP. My highest level guy is a level 14 Vanguard. If I take a level 8 or 9 character into Gold, they tend to only gain 1 level from a full extraction. Does difficulty level not increase XP any more?

It makes a difference, just not nearly enough of one (I haven't checked the numbers above bronze, but I know the exp you get on bronze is the sum of all the points the team got, and silver just multiplies this value by something in the ballpark of 1.5). It starts taking 2 silver games to get a single level on a character before you even hit the level it recommends for silver, and again for gold. When silver is around twice as hard as bronze, it really should be giving you 2x the bronze exp, and gold 3x or more. The current values would be more reasonable if you were still leveling up 1/6 of the available characters at a time, but it's one at a time now, and you will also be short between 3 and 15 skill points at level 20 if you haven't unlocked the same character literally 10 times yet.

I'm not sure what the mentality is behind walling off the player from experiencing the content in the game they already paid for besides to push for microtransactions (thanks EA). Vermintide has made it far easier to get the items you want in no fewer than 5 different ways since it came out, and virtually everyone agrees that the game is much better off for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The blame for what happened to bioware almost certainly lies at EA's feet more than bioware. EA has a nasty history of chewing up its developers and franchises and spitting them out once there's nothing left from which to make a cheap buck.

Doesn't mean the product itself isn't really frustrating in many ways though, and even knowing that many of the people with previous experience working on mass effect aren't there anymore, it's hard not to expect better after 5 years.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Did EA personally hire the bad writing team of ME3, who partially continued to be the bad writing team of ME:A, reinforced by the bad writer of Halo 4? I'm skeptical, but I guess they likely signed off on whichever bad management made the poor decisions and hiring internal to Bioware.

I'm referring mainly to the level of competency/quality that's visible in the multiplayer as it stands (much lower than hoped). I haven't played more than the very beginning of the singleplayer so I don't know what the situation was there with the writers or whatever. Although what I played did not really grip me the way ME2 did which is why I haven't bothered with any more of it--I can definitely see what people are on about with the facial animations, voice direction, and the quality of the player's dialogue choices, especially after playing witcher 3.

But after this long and after mass effect 3 already blazed the trail for them, the multiplayer should have been a sure thing. And sometimes it really works and it's awesome. Other times poo poo happens like last night where the game refused to let me switch to the missile launcher because I was trapped in a reload animation, so I could not stop the fiend who teleported into a sync kill animation on my teammate. When I finally was allowed to use it, I hit the loving thing dead on, a direct hit aimed for center of mass, with a cobra rocket. No effect. Game completely loving ignored it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

also if it wasn't clear, I was referring to EA's practices pushing developers with experience out of the company due to stress and dissatisfaction, not that EA specifically is responsible for hiring at bioware. There's a really excellent post floating around about how the short and ridiculously crunchy dev time EA forced for dragon age 2 made many bioware employees quit, and is emblematic of an environment that can't retain core talent because the publisher's demands mean many people don't want to work there for long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:lol: That's amazing.

The exact (opaque) nature of the positive/negative modifiers seems to matter a lot. My one team with a negative modifier is -10 for Cowardly, which I'm guessing only matters on missions with the Scary modifier. It almost always has a higher level of success than my team with just as many positive bonuses (and Night Vision Goggles equipment) but no negative modifier, so I'm guessing the nature of the bonuses (general vs. specific) is what really matters. He's got Elite (+5), Heroic (+10), Nighttime Operator (+10), Tough (+5), and Lucky (+5), I'm guessing that only the Nighttime Operator isn't a general bonus, and that gives him a bigger advantage on night missions than my other team with +5 from Night Vision Goggles when the relevant mission modifier comes up. And/or maybe Heroic offsets Cowardly. Wish I knew!

Incidentally, if you're playing for the long haul I would buy extra teams and send them at some low percentage missions, Silver after they have a few levels, Gold when they are mid level. They'll level up faster (especially when they unexpectedly succeed), and you'll build up more positive traits if you get lucky. I bought a third team to slowly level so as to avoid negative traits, and it only has one positive trait (at level 16), versus my other two that had 4-5 by this point. But I may have been abnormally lucky in avoiding negative traits.

You can see exactly what the traits do on your list of teams, where you would buy equipment for them. Most of them are specific, for example Bloodthirsty only applies to missions with Enemies Everywhere (I love that that's a mission trait). There's a button to bring up a team's list of traits on that screen. The button doesn't work if they're on a mission though so wait for them to get back

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

precision posted:

I know anyone reading this thread may have already bought the game, but for what it's worth it seems like the most stable version is the PS4 one, so grab that if you can. Personally I've had 2 crashes out of... a lot of hours.

Can anyone confirm that the game saves your credits/XP after every round, or at least after Objective waves? I have definitely come back after a crash and had more credits than before.

I've had better luck than most with crashes and disconnects, only seen a few so far here on PC, and my system doesn't even meet the game's listed requirements. But I did crash two times last night, one of them being 50 seconds from extraction on gold, and it did not give me any exp or money. But it had still eaten my boosters.

Based on my experience, I'd guess that the game only talks to the server to save your exp and money when a mission ends through winning or losing, rather than after every wave (this is sort of understandable since the servers getting requests after every single wave of every single game would probably be a huge amount of unnecessary traffic). What is less understandable is why the game eats your boosters at the start of a round instead of at the same time it gives you your exp and money. As it stands, crashing 50 seconds from extraction means you get nothing and your boosters are gone.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

In app? Because I don't see anything like that in iOS.

Neither the equipment button nor "manage" lets you view what the traits (or the equipment!) are specialized for.

It's in the game, I don't know of a way to see it in the app.

On the flipside, I have seen that you can change your character's name in the app, but can't find where to do that in the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

0% success chance is a display bug that you only see after you send a team on a mission. The actual chance is still whatever was listed when you sent them on it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

hup posted:

I know bronze is low tier, but why is the xp payout so lovely? I can barely level anything there and I don't want to run a level bullshit baby in higher poo poo when I barely have any points and have to rely solely on the vanquisher

It's not much better on the higher difficulties honestly. By level 9 or so, one level requires more experience than one silver will give you, and that happens around level 13 for gold. The experience boosters do make a big difference, but the rate you get those will slow down dramatically once you're done grabbing the commons.

Play with goons so you can move up to the higher difficulties sooner though. With a couple people who got some of the guns that do any damage, they aren't so bad, and you will get vastly more money.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Incisor's mad underrated, it's 100% gold viable and a solid option. Just pull down sharply when you shoot and you can put all three rounds on the same enemy, getting 1-3 headshots depending on how it works out. With this game's weird-rear end crit hitboxes I have a much easier time just blasting at the general crit area and getting crits on some of the shots rather than carefully aiming my widow, nailing a fucker right in the head, and having it count as a bodyshot. This was with an incisor V.

(really weird bug with the names/classes too. they were a human adept, human infiltrator and krogan engineer)

Two of these other players were using the vanquisher so this gun had to be doing something right to top them. With turbocharge specced for stability you can even massively cut the recoil and put out some awesome damage as the mag size grows to well over 30. I'm sure there's plenty of rares and ultra rares that are better than the incisor because that's how this game is balanced, but if you're using stuff around the uncommon level, do not turn your nose up at this thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A power recharge booster makes going without the recharge speed skill pretty tolerable anyway

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Every even numbered level gives you 3 skill points and every odd numbered level lets you change the colors on another part of their outfit. So you have to unlock every character 10 times to get all their skill points and get them out of the pool.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

@Rupert It's not because you chose outlaws. There is now no penalty for choosing the enemies and map.

Every player who does not extract reduces the money everyone gets by 5%. On bronze, that's 500 credits. If you had 3 players extract, I'm guessing some insanity made the game just hand you the 500 credits as your reward instead of subtracting them from the maximum 10,000.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Both yes and no. The invulnerability frames are awesome, but her melee animation is considerably longer than any of the other classes. She gets some additional +melee talents to help compensate, but she still won't do the raw damage of a human or krogan Vanguard. Up to you if you think the additional survivability is worth it.

As a counterpoint to this, I'm rarely ever below 22k when using my Vanquisher X, and I cracked 30k today while playing the stationary sniper turret otherwise know as the Turian Soldier. The Incisor seems alright, but the Vanq remains head and shoulders above every other weapon in the game.

I'm not saying the incisor is better than the vanquisher or any of the other OP weapons, because that gun has already become the thing that you see in 90% of silver and gold games, but I am saying not to write off the incisor just because it's hard to use. Many people have uncommons but not rares, and the incisor is a deceptively strong weapon if you're there. It's easily comparable to the raptor.

Sniper rifles are the only guns I have that feel like they do anything. I used a backup carnifex on gold the other day and put it away when I saw that it took ten loving headshots to kill one goddamn ordinary raider. What on earth is going on with the guns in this game?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's a good setup for the asari huntress? In the previous game you'd just cloak and dark channel and then go pick your nose while the platinum praetorian dies within 20 seconds, but she does not have dark channel anymore

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do you unlock more patterns or is the human soldier pattern literally just 'here's a stripe'

Yes you get more patterns at rank 9

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bootcha posted:

That right there is the issue. In all honesty, none of the weapons should be HARD to use. I would rather snipe with the Charger than snipe with the Incisor.

In fact, the Incisor should be an AR, not a sniper, at least with the amount of kickback it has. God know ARs need something to make them viable beyond a "*Giggle* hey guys I have an AR, let's see what happens, sorry in advance".

If you don't have any option, take the Viper. Yeah it's a bit anemic but it will hit what it shoots at, and you can usually kill something within a clip. Then take the LANAT. Then the Vanquisher. Those three encourage the productive sniper play of placing your shots well. The Incisor is just a gimmick in search of a role, and sniper ain't it.

I don't hate you Digirat.

I just hate the Incisor with a passion, ever since ME3.

In a game with 47 guns there should be some solid variety in what to use, and a few weapons that are hard to use but heavily reward skill is exactly the kind of thing I'd want to see in the arsenal. The real problems are the guns that are just objectively better than other guns, and the lovely microtransaction-driven design that heavily correlates weapon rarity with weapon quality. That was dumb in ME3 and it's dumb here, since for all I can argue that the incisor isn't bad, I still can't say you should continue to use it once you get the Better Gun.

Zigmidge posted:

Yes, they should, muffin.

Knock it off with the condescending poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You only get 1 item for 5 mission funds so I don't think it will be incredibly useful, but it will help once all the gear is bought. What I'm wondering is if it's like ME3 where you can hit the cap on one kind of item and then have those items turn into other other ones in card packs (in other words have ammo packs turn into anything else, since all the other items have about three times the utility)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Automatic guns in particular suffer from the enormous accuracy decay they added. I'm not sure why that was put in other than because "it's a thing shooters do." It's a good mechanic in other shooters because they are designed around killing an enemy with 4 bodyshots, not 40.

But even when every round lands they don't do enough damage. Same with every shotgun and pistol I currently own (although I understand there are at least some good pistols).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:psyduck:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The banshee sound was absolutely horrible and sounded like a nonstop looping .wav of a chimpanzee screeching into a low quality microphone. I goddamn hate sustained cacophonous sounds like that and it was the only loving thing you'd hear for the entire length of time one was alive, which was basically most waves against reapers because they were sponges just as bad as andromeda's. I'm very glad nothing sounds anything remotely like that in andromeda. The sound in this game is incredible and I'm pretty drat sure DICE helped them with it again, based on how much the indoor reverb sounds like battlefield's.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A few more upload objectives against kett where no one was using the extremely small list of things that kill poo poo in a satisfying length of time, and I may be ready to put this on hold outside of apex missions until they address some of this poo poo. The static visuals are great, the sound is some of the best I've ever heard, the controls are miles better than mass effect 3, and I really like the fact that you no longer pop like a soap bubble on gold if an enemy so much as breathes on you, so making the tiniest mistake or the game being mildly janky for a moment no longer means you're instantly dead. So the balance of the difficulty settings in general feels much better. Good stuff.

Just about everything else feels like they learned nothing from mass effect 3 and just made some poo poo without analyzing what they were doing at all. One of the enemy factions is still a fuckton harder than everything else, except it's even more extreme than last time. They repeated the design atrocity that is sync kills and made them even worse somehow. Enemies are still some of the biggest sponges I've ever met in a shooter, which is exacerbated by some of the visual effects being worse, mainly on melee and powers. They still have the dumbass microtransactions that encourage them to design around weapon rarity being closely tied to weapon quality, and a really artificial grind that makes your gear objectively weaker until you've unlocked the same thing 10 times. So they still balanced their game like poo poo on purpose. But a much greater amount of the uncommon and rare stuff is garbage compared to mass effect 3, which leads me to believe a lot of the bad balance is unintentional. I was excited as gently caress when I saw there were 46 (now 47) guns in the game, but now I barely even care about unlocking stuff because the great majority of what I get hits like wet paper, where my only way of making it better is a long and sloggy road of incrementally unlocking the same thing.

And all of this is ignoring everything technical, ie the bad netcode and frequent bugs. I really want to like this game but it's extremely hard to do so right now. Much of the worst of mass effect 3 has been repeated, and that is hard to forgive. Almost none of these issues are mistakes bioware is making for the first time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Completely disagree on the jumpjets/mobility in MEA. It's one of the strongest additions to the game and one of the best ways they reduced how much you're fighting the controls. The "strategy" of needing to control spawns in ME3's higher difficulties was metagamey jank that had far too much of an effect on how the game was played. In an action game I want to see the bros I need to shoot (the compass with enemy markers is a great addition on this front too) and then just kill them without dying. I don't want to fret over whether maneuvering an inch too far to the left will let the game spawn three enemies at once with a clear sightline to me, any one of which will drop me to the health gate in 2 loving shots, because that poo poo was a major part of ME3. That is some abstract junk I shouldn't need to think about when I'm shooting some space bros. And if you ever hosed that part up, you got to experience the joy of trying to escape using some of the worst controls ever designed for a third person shooter.

In andromeda when the game spawns some robots close to me, I can see that on the compass and move to a better spot right away with minimal fuss. I still have to avoid getting flanked by existing robots, but the mere fact that I didn't metagame the spawns well enough in the first place doesn't mean I'm hosed. I am no longer crippled by movement restrictions. Spawn nonsense still has an effect and I suspect it will be something to pay attention to whenever platinum comes around, but it is way less important and that's a good thing for an action game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Go to the skill points screen and there's a button to use a respec.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have had no fewer than 4 incredibly bullshit experiences with fiends taking no damage from cobras. Enemy's utter and complete trash.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the current apex mission is gold vs. kett where the wave 6 objective is upload, which is way more of a middle finger than that could ever hope to be. The effect is +50% assault rifle damage, -50% other gun damage.

Still had people join with level 9 characters or nothing but the hurricane.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monowhatever posted:

So I've only been opening basic packs, and i've gotten all the tier 1 cards. all the basic pack gives me now is supplies... I'm upset

Why are you still buying basic packs when you're done with the commons? Move up to advanced packs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

Are the current versions of the multiplayer guns equivalent to the single player ones?

No, there are a lot of differences, some small, some large. The raptor does around half the damage in SP that it does in multiplayer, the falcon has a clip of 7 in SP instead of 8 in multiplayer, etc. The incisor might have less recoil in SP but I haven't compared enough to say for certain.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Same reason you can't tell which mods are fitted to which weapon in single player.

It's because the people who designed the UI are psychopaths. Or loving idiots. One of those.

In singleplayer:

Press spacebar two times on a strike team mission: Select your first team to send on that mission.
Press spacebar two times on a strike team mission that happens to be an apex mission: Instantly exit the game and load multiplayer with no confirmation.

Hmm yeah this seems sensible

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Almost every menu option on the multiplayer hub has its sub-options in a different place. Quick search and custom match lead to a stacked list of options on the opposite side of the screen, character selection leads to a table on the opposite side of the screen, character customization leads to four tiny nondescript icons on the top of the screen, and only prestige takes you to a list of sub-options that's actually in the same place as its parent menu.

None of the screens on "character customization" actually show you how much health and shields your character has. For that you have to go to the character selection screen and find your character in the list for some reason.

The "collections" menu is just a list of the stuff you own without any interaction features, except that the tab farthest to the right is how you change your nameplate.

You can name your guns in singleplayer but not multiplayer.

You can name your characters using the mobile app, but not in the game.

You can name your strike teams using the mobile app, but not in the game.

You cannot see how many respecs you own.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure they hosed up the apex mission effect that gives you no ammo boxes but +800% ammo and grenades. My grenades went from 5 to 13, which is +8, not x8.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I need to double check, but I think an isharay is objectively better than a widow at the same rank. They really didn't even try.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gave the freeloaders a chance when they tried to join us for a gold kett apex mission. Turns out that yes, they really were just freeloaders and it was a waste of our time and boosters. Bootcha and I had over twice their score and they refused to use their consumables. We won as soon as a third player on discord joined and our fourth was a random who was actually level 20. I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt but right now it's usually a waste of your time to do so for the hardest content. Unlike vermintide, gear/stats define way more of what you can do than skill.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Judging by how much more damage I'm taking on bronze than in ME3 I'm not going to attempt Gold til level 15 on a char or so and level 10 for Silver. I can probably get away with it before then but I figure it'd be less annoying for everyone involved.

This is probably for the best when you're starting out and using commons, but I've found that you take a lot less damage on gold relative to ME3 and can survive much more easily, because you can get around much faster. In ME3 most classes felt like they got shredded down to the health gate if they were exposed to one enemy for half a second on gold. Here it feels like there's much more warning before you're dead.

It also seems like more classes have useful survivability stuff on average. Many soldiers get fortify and sentinels get damage reduction as a passive--no need to hit your cooldowns with a toggle skill anymore. Vanguards and infiltrators of course still have charge and cloak to stay alive/escape, so it's only the adepts and engineers who really suffer.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you got to the scoreboard at the end then you got your money, it just sometimes doesn't update until you go to the store for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Its a shame vanguards are hot garbage on gold, they were so much fun in ME3

wat

• Locked thread