Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
What's the deal with loot boxes? You want to buy the cheapest ones so the next tiers don't contain bad items? How do you know when you've got all the stuff from the cheap boxes?

I'll probably drop $20bux on currency, when can I open those sweet sweet premium packs for max value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Multiplayer is great, definitely scratching that ME3 multiplayer itch.

Only thing really bothering me are those giant pouncing animals that literally don't make a sound.

Edit: It also really sucks using exp boosters and getting put into an already in progress failing group.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 21, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

chesnok posted:

Silver is goddamn brutal.

I got a lvl 16 character and thought maybe it was time. Nope. Tried two and both first wave wipes, I don't know when it will ever be time to move up to silver.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I started with Human Soldier first, mostly to learn the levels and controls and whatnot. I'm probably going to switch to another class and rarely play the soldier at some point, but I'm curious about the turbocharge skill.

Is turbocharge garbage or am I bad and that's the class defining skill? I would probably leave that at 1 skill point and max everything else. If it's not garbage, I assume frag grenade would be the skill that you don't put points in? Kind of rough to use without the grenades being sticky. Basically I'm having a hard time evaluating skills.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Digirat posted:

Turbocharge instantly reloads your gun

I actually didn't realize that, I should read the skills more carefully. I think I already screwed the build up by taking reduced recharge for concussion shot instead of power cell capacity 5. Right now I don't have enough mission funds to want to use them towards a respec, just easier to switch to another class.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Whomever was talking about the Charger pistol earlier...holy poo poo you weren't lying. It melts faces. First two times using it I got gold kill/pistol medals. That's never happened for me with the M-8 Avenger. Maybe the M-8 is just poo poo and I'm experiencing a not poo poo gun for the first time, not too many options when buying nothing but basic packs. My Charger is rank 10 and still playing on bronze, not sure how well it holds up on silver.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

After playing multiplayer for about 15 hours or so, I would say maybe don't try to do the basic only thing unless you plan on putting 100+ hours into the game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

e: How many skill points do you get total? The Asari Adept is fun but I want to know what I can plan on maxing and what I should leave at pretty basic ranks.

Leveling up an Asari Adept myself at the moment, definitely seems like a class that wants all the skill points. I'm assuming throw is what gets ignored? I've seen it mentioned that you can do 6/6/6/6/1 a few times or some combination of that, but I don't have any characters at rank 10 that I'm actually using yet to know.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 23, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Relentless posted:

They're also how you get equipment. Seems to have been disabled for the trial, but I can buy the max shield/melee damage equipment for 120 now, or thermal clips for like 90.

I don't think any gear has shown up for purchase on PS4 yet, I guess I'll just keep unlocking more teams. Also unless there is some hidden amount of free respecs, it doesn't seem to be requiring me to purchase the respec consumable right now.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

It's amazing that even dying on top of an objective isn't enough to get pubbies to do the devices. Probably 70% of my games would fail if I weren't doing objectives.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Has anyone had a chance to sort out tells for the instagibs aside from the Ascendant? I just got done by a Fiend again who as far as I can tell just rolled on up and grabbed me from behind

Are they supposed to be able to teleport around? Everytime I see a Fiend they do it, it looks unnatural considering their size. Two or three times now I'll see one in the distance and think I'm safe, then without warning I'm grabbed and dead.

I don't think it's my connection or the hosts, because every other enemy is moving around normal.

Digirat posted:

One of my strike teams just got a bad negative effect from losing a mission. So maybe just hurling them at the last missions available for a 5% chance of success is actually a bad idea.

I noticed you can retire strike teams, I guess that's an option if they get too many negative effects. I don't know if you have to rebuy them or they get replaced though.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 23, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

So I've got a human soldier to 20 and an asari adept to 15 so far and I think a big issue I'm having with the game is progression from bronze to silver just seems so brutal. It feels like unless I'm playing with a competent group I'll be stuck in bronze hell forever.

Speaking of the asari adept, I don't have all my points yet in barrier but it feels like the annihilation/lance shennanigans is kind of inconsistent? Sometimes lance will take like 20% of my shields on a kill and other times it will take like 35% on a kill like maybe the shield restore on kill trigger happens before lance consumes part of the shield? I don't know what's up, but it's definitely not the same every time and I've been watching carefully to make sure I'm not taking extra damage.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 24, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Is there any tactical advantage of fighting on the rooftops, other than stalling on the extraction round, or is this just another annoying thing pubbies do? I guess maybe it's good for snipers, but feels like it just makes everything take longer when you've got enemies jumping up and down all over the place.

Do any of you that are doing silver/gold stream or does anyone know any good players who stream on twitch? Haven't found anyone solid yet to view.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

re: rooftop fighting

Seems like I am the pubbie :smith:

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It's gonna take forever if all you're doing is bronze, as it gives 10k credits.

Yep... I've got two lvl 20 characters now and I am still short 14-26 basic packs. As the other goon mentioned, it is kind of neat when they start giving nothing but weapon mods though.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Was me3 this prone to crashing? I've had three today on bone

I've had 3 or 4 the past two nights on PS4, usually when I'm on wave 5 or 6 :argh:.

Started a human infiltrator... this is pretty much what I wanted when playing the soldier. Having 5 sticky grenades trivializes most of the large things on bronze.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Does anyone else have a bugged strike team quest that disconnects you every time you try to use a team on it? Also definitely don't retire a team thinking maybe it resets, rip 80 mission funds. With the amount of missions it offers I probably don't need more than two teams anyways.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 24, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Finally got all my basic packs bought, took 47 levels doing bronze only. Opened 10 premium packs.

Only N7 stuff I got was Angara Avenger twice, could be worse I guess. Definitely going to start leveling that since it sounds strong. Also got a bunch of weapons to test out obviously.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Revenant I feels really similar to Charger X, looking forward to getting more ranks for the Revenant.

This is probably a dumb question, but thermal clips are different from standard clip size right? Just trying to figure out which store equipment to buy first.

edit: These loving game crashes went from once every 5 hours or so to once every five matches. They need to fix this poo poo.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 25, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I think I'm done until there's some sort of stability patch. I've had 6 loving crashes tonight, most of which happen on wave 5 or 6.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Well I lied and continued playing, I'm glad I did because the stars aligned and I found a pub group where we did four full silver extractions. Then they bumped it up to gold and we did three full extractions. Was very fun and satisfying. :unsmith:

Angara Avenger is ridiculous. Teleporting across the entire map to do a backstab is pretty great. This character is going to get nerfed isn't it? I still don't have a great close range weapon, I've still been using the Charger. I got first place on one of the gold runs though, so I guess it will work for now.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Uhh... was the server going down earlier a patch? People are insta dying on silver right now without letting people revive... bug or feature?

edit: Or am I in some game with weird modifiers?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Another wave 6 crash :argh:

I really wish the Charger wasn't so good, or the other weapons I have weren't so bad. I think I've used it for 40 character levels at this point and it's getting pretty boring. I've got a Vanquisher but I'm bad at sniping. Melee characters aren't really my thing. I've only unlocked two other shotguns, both which are bad, besides the starting shotgun.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

precision posted:

Yeah Upload can eat a dick, it's significantly harder than all the other objectives.

I would agree except that 90% of the time when it's devices the button press resets at 50%... Then getting it to work again seems like a crapshoot.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

One of my strike teams keeps changing to 0% chance of success after picking missions.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

waah posted:

This isn't really as bad as it feels right now right?

I got tired of using the same gun for 30+ hours, decided to finish stuff on my backlog and hope for a good patch/update but if they think the guns are fine... lol. If only they made that comment sooner I would have saved some money not buying some premium packs.

With all this time I was expecting an improved version of ME3 multiplayer and this doesn't feel like an improvement.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Nechronic posted:

Right now the game feels stale to me because the rewards you're grinding towards aren't satisfying. It's not exciting when you unlock a new class or gun because they're either bad or they won't be at their best until you get their card 9 more times.

This is a pretty good point as well I think. When I'm only interested in 3 or 4 weapons and 2 or 3 classes, opening loot boxes is always a bad time. Each gun in this game has use challenges and trying out different guns is something I was really looking forward to... until I realized 95% of them seem to be poo poo. The class variety just isn't enough for me to keep playing and using the same weapons.

Edit: I also agree with a lot of the other stuff. Ledges intended to be scaled feel too high to the point where it might take multiple jumps. Collision with enemies/players tends to make the camera weird. Melee targeting is so bad I wrote off melee characters completely.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 31, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

anime tupac posted:

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that it seemed like buying two 50k packs seemed smarter than buying one 100k pack because the ultra-rares don't seem much better than the rares, and some of the rares are very good, plus you get ten cards instead of five (or something along those lines).

I realize that "what is the best pacfks to buy????? lmao" is the most common question in these threads but I was just curious if there is some new consensus recently, because I'm ~20 pages behind, and like to read the whole thread, but am playing right now.

After commons and maybe uncommons, it probably just depends on what you are looking for. Every weapon I wanted at the time was rare or ultra rare so I was buying nothing but 100k packs. Someone I was watching streaming made a good point, that ultra rares are never going to be guaranteed in a pack. So might be better to buy the pack with the greater chance at ultra rares to maybe avoid a situation where maybe you max out rares buying the 50k packs and you increase the amount of credits needed to start getting the ultra rares.

But yea, buying the 100k packs mean less consumables... However if consumables are an issue I would assume it would be better to just buy the supply packs.

Or maybe not? I don't know.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 3, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I went from waiting for this patch to... probably waiting for another patch. At least I have plenty of games to play. So with the melee nerf I guess they just want everyone using a sniper rifle?

For anyone planning on continuing to play this, I am curious to know if the stability got any better. The crashes were so infuriating.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

Welp it's still crashing constantly. Seems to happen at extraction a lot as well, it's pretty god damned annoying.

gently caress this game

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I've finished BotW and Horizon: ZD and they still haven't fixed the crashes in this game. I would get a refund if I could.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Frush posted:

Alright, summary of the livestream (I managed to get away with watching it at work);

-They are looking into crashing and definitely want any feedback from people there

So it's not even being fixed in the next patch... great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I haven't played since before the game was patched. I think I was literally using a Charger for everything, even gold. Did any of the actual shotguns ever become good? Are any of the normal shooting assault rifles any good?

I'm finally playing through the single player, might give multiplayer one last chance when I'm finished.

• Locked thread