Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So far this is exactly what I wanted: the same but more of it. I'm addicted all over again, though the starting classes all kind of are meh aside from Vanguard. Human Eng is great except for having a dead skill (Turret) though maybe that's a good thing because it means they have something you can safely ignore.

I've been using a Revenant on everyone because it's the best overall weapon I've unlocked so far (but I just got the Talon so :getin: ) It has a shitload of bullets, does decent damage, and has very little recoil. I also have a Widow but haven't tried doing a :ninja: class yet. For a while I was going around hip-firing a Viper III though, that was fun.

The single player is actually amazingly good, at least the first mission is, but holy poo poo I gotta make more credits to buy some packs :sweatdrop:

I'll be on for a while probably, PS4 PSN zerodrone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh god I forgot how bad pubbies suck :negative:

On the bright side, the old "Vanguard ABC with a Talon" strategy seems to be working just fine for me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skippy McPants posted:

The base classes all seem really garbage, with the exception of Infiltrators. I had a lot more fun once I got some of the Uncommon and Rare classes.

Yeah they kinda are, luckily I just unlocked Krogan Vanguard and along with the Talon I was lucky enough to get he is almost unkillable

Enemy factions are definitely a hidden difficulty level instead of just being "Different". Outlaws are super easy even when not-Atlases show up, Kett start easy but get very hard, and Remnant require different tactics because while you can Charge Observers you can't Nova or Melee them and Observers are The Biggest Assholes

My biggest gripe with pubbies right now is they never use goddamn missiles. Again. :shepicide:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep trying to do the Silver strike team mission that has the +100% Shields, -75% Health modifier and pubbies keep being awful at it while my KroGuard stands there never dying lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Salarian Infiltrator is just as great as ever, especially since this game loves to give me a billion Sniper Rifles and almost nothing else.

I like how varied the maps are, some are seriously huge, some have neat little hidden areas, there's a particularly good Dallas Book Depository on Magma that can trivialize non-objective rounds if the rest of the team just hangs out at the top of the ramp, just cleared Silver like 3 times in a row with sub-level 7 characters on all of us.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Right now I'm buying at a rate of 3 Recruit:1 Advanced and it's gotten me some great characters and weapons (Turian Havoc, Talon, lots of upgrades for Human Engineer, lots of consumables and boosters which help a lot)

I've bought like 2 Spectre packs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

katkillad2 posted:

After playing multiplayer for about 15 hours or so, I would say maybe don't try to do the basic only thing unless you plan on putting 100+ hours into the game.

Yeah I mean I'm buying Basic packs only because I do plan on maxing out a lot of stuff because the MP is horribly addictive, but also the way the classes work now, I do want to get the classes all up to Rank X because of the way you're encouraged to level every class so you can have massive passive boosts for all your dudes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skippy McPants posted:

It's not like ME 3, Passives use their own leveling bar that isn't impacted by Rank or Prestige. The only thing that matters is which class you're playing.

Oh I see what you're saying, so all Soldier classes count toward the Soldier passive, gotcha.

I still want everyone at Rank X so I can make them look as pretty as possible :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The custom face creator was bugging me so I just picked Default Sara for the campaign and while I'm not regretting it because I actually like the way she looks I wish to God I could just push a button and make her look like Female Human Sentinel :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some of these guns are such bad filler it seems, I got the Rare Remnant Beam Sniper Rifle (Shockwave or something?) and it's about as useful as a super soaker, and operates in the same manner

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got a Mattock but gently caress me if I'm going to use it when "Shoot" is bound to a soft analog trigger and not the clicky trigger

Whyyyyyy did they reverse it and why is there no option to go back to the old way, it's also a pain to hold down L2 and hit L1, holding down L1 and hitting L2 would be a lot easier

also gently caress the new "press two buttons at once to use a power" scheme, on the Asari Sentinel they bound THROW to the "press two buttons" slot, when it would make infinitely more sense to bind Backlash to that especially since Backlash sucks and Throw is god king

e: VAnguard Hop happens to HuVans too, it's the new Vanguard Rapture. It looks pretty hilarious but it sucks!

precision fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh good lord I'm an idiot, I just remembered that PS4 lets you do Custom Button Assignments, I'm gonna switch the trigger buttons so I can actually use rapid-fire weapons (got a Sidewinder too) and see if there's a way to make Triangle "both trigger buttons at once" because I use my third power a lot more than I use melee, goddamn it Bioware

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IcePhoenix posted:

So you're "that guy" that never revives people or does objectives :v:

They're doing a stream to show off the new mission and character and it's worse than the facial animations from single player.

Oh yeah I forgot that button, to be fair I've gotten weirdly unlucky and pretty much every objective round is Hack or Upload, Devices seem to be very rare.

MorgaineDax posted:

Is there a way to make me run all the time or at least bind it to something that isn't pressing down on the left stick?

You'd have to free up a button somehow, best suggestion I would have would be to swap "Click L3" and "Square", which would keep your ability to reload on the run intact.

e: it's a bit hard to find, you have to go into Accessibility, Custom Button Assignments, Enable Custom Button Assignments. You can only ever have one Custom Button profile at a time, which is lame, I wish they'd patch it in to where you can have it set on a per-game basis

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nechronic posted:

I think everyone should aim for getting a Charger X since it's apparently the only decent common gun.

The Viper is super decent on an Infltrator.

So I went and set up a custom button assignment like I posted earlier, and if you're on PS4 I highly recommend:

- Swap L3 and Square. Seriously, it works so much better when things get frantic. For me at least, it's way easier to hit Square to start running.
- Oldschool ME3MP controls. Only if you're used to the old way, swap the trigger buttons. Makes the Mattock actually usable in this!

Splurged on a Specter pack and got the Venom. :geno: I think I'll stick to maxing out some good Uncommons first.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh neat I earned a nameplate already. PSA that you gotta go into Collection and then select the nameplate to Equip it and let pubbies know that you're not a scrub

Been using asari adept a lot and just, lol at how much damage she outputs, definitely a class you can jump right into Silver at like level 5, probably do Gold at 10 as long as you prioritize survival and used Shield boosters.

I got the Not Javelin (Ishakot or w/e), at level I a body shot will only take half health off a mook and a headshot won't even take down a Shielded dude so it's probs not worth using outside Bronze until you get it up a few levels, but I can see it being potentially hilarious and awesome on an Inf

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can Infiltrators still get away with "use power and also shoot" and get the cloak damage bonus for both? I have Salarian Operative so I guess I should play around with him some more, but the vastly increased mobility in this one is making all my old Infiltrator tactics kinda obsolete

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It might even be most efficient to buy Basic boxes until you have most Commons maxed plus the random Uncommons you picked up along the way, then just go straight to buying Expert boxes since those always have like 3 Uncommons so it's more efficient than Advanced boxes.

I'm not math wizard though and of course we don't know a lot of the math involved on their end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
PSA: If you're lucky enough to get the Isharay, buy the Thermal Clip equipment, slap it on literally any class and you can jump right into Silver at level 1. As the Salarian Operative says "Don't be a hero! Get down!" Just keep away from large groups and kill dudes one at a time. Great way to get quickly up to level 10 or so.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wilekat posted:

I'm totally in love with Krogan Vanguard, particularly now I've respecced. The combination of the health and shield regen from Rage and Charge plus the tankiness from Fortify is pretty absurd

I've only put 1 point in Rage because I'm going for maxing out everything else first and yeah, you can just waddle around the map being unkillable against everything but minibosses on Silver.

Speaking of minibosses, what's the trick to Destroyers? They seem to have a shitload more HP than Fiends, Hydras, Agents, Ascendants, etc.

e: I do like how when Agents "die" they just teleport out of battle, lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've already put like 30 hours into the MP and nobody on PS4 ever uses their drat mic, even (especially?) when I get bored and start talking because I'm stoned.

The sound of the MP in this game is so useless/repetitive that I really prefer to like, talk to people, otherwise I'm just gonna put on an audiobook while I play.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Digirat posted:

They don't. That's their decoy.

Oh poo poo, mind blown

Mango Polo posted:

Not super impressed by the various soldier classes so far, but as usual there's the bad weapons/low level caveat. Are either the Asari Sentinel/Adept any good in Gold?

Asari Adept is ridiculous. You literally just walk around making everything explode constantly and taking very little damage because what you don't kill you stun. When Hydra types appear, all you have to do is get someone else to pull aggro and she can take it down in seconds.

Sentinel is almost as good, now that I've learned to love Backlash for the Literal Invincibility it is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't have Duelist yet, but the ability to Charge at something and then put up a shield seems OP as gently caress.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sure they'll get around to recycling adding that model.

Finally finished maxing out most Commons so I'm gonna just buy Specter packs and skip Advanced Packs altogether. When I run out of Revives/Missiles I'll buy some Advanced packs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

shadok posted:

What is up with nameplates? Mine won't stay set for more than two missions before it disappears.

It might be bugged, but also it seems to save the nameplate on a per-character basis.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skippy McPants posted:

I think that someone on their design team forgot that the primary downside of Fortify (i.e. lost movement speed) is totally pointless with the new jetpack mobility.

Yeah I noticed that, which makes it even more annoying that if you get Revived you have to re-apply the power which can suck on toast if you're in the middle of crossfire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The character with Trip Mines in ME3MP was secretly broken as gently caress, not just because of the mines but also his melee attack was a crossbow that with the right build could basically hit harder than most guns

Can't wait to unlock that guy and do more trip mine spamming in this one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Techsplosions are still great too, especially fire combos. As with the guns you just gotta keep in mind things aren't gonna be super until the powers are maxed out.

The range on Cryo explosions does seem less impressive than on fire ones tho

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think there's no reason not to do Gold instead of Silver.

The fact that rounds can be so much faster now than in ME3 means you can finish round 3 of Gold in less than 7 minutes. And Gold doesn't change up rounds 1-3 much at all, you won't see any tough enemies.

Finishing round 3 on Gold will give you as much money (and I think as much XP) as Extracting on Silver, which usually takes 15-20 minutes.

e: Bought a Premium Specter Pack last night and got the N7 Eagle. It's a lot better than it was in ME3! It's more accurate and more damaging than the Revenant, using it to apply Incendiary Ammo for combos is nuts

precision fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 26, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Upload can eat a dick, it's significantly harder than all the other objectives.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best shotgun is the Talon. I feel like getting lucky early with Talon, Isharay, Vanquisher, and Eagle means I won't be using any other guns for quite a while.

I've got the Hesh up to 3 and it's still nowhere near as good as Talon at 1.

I think some guns are going to get hit hard with the nerf stick. The Isharay is another one.

e: hip-firing Sniper Rifles definitely incurs a heavy damage penalty in this one as well, I've tried it with the Isharay and the game is not having it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nah, the Talon was just as good in ME3MP actually. It's just an insane gun.

I got my first Rare class... Asari Huntress. Eh. Probably the one I wanted least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ineffiable posted:

Thanks. I'll work my way up. It's annoying because it'll take a while but it pays off in the long run. I think people also recommend usually getting the second to last most expensive pack, rarely do you ever want to buy the most expensive one.

You don't want to buy the 100k credit box unless you're really into gambling, yeah. It's the best way to max out Rares, but it's the slowest way to get a Rare you don't already have. You also end up getting a lot less booster items and those are pretty great to use. The XP boosters in particular are insanely useful.

In ME3 the way the math worked out was that 20k boxes were the best way to max Uncommons and get a lucky Rare. In this one, I don't think there are many Uncommon weapons (or in fact any) that you should try to max out, it would be much more sane to go for the box with the guaranteed Rare and hope you get a Talon/Isharay/Revenant

If you want to max out all the character cards you definitely want to just move from 5k boxes to 20k to 50k though, and a lot of the Uncommon classes completely own so you should buy lots of 20k packs sometimes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know if it will be the insane runaway success that ME3MP was, but MEA is getting great word of mouth to counter the critical reception. It's a wild situation right now, because the game sold a fuckton initially as expected, like with DA2, but DA2 was a terrible game that was secretly kind of OK, whereas ME:A is a great game that is secretly a little bit terrible but all the reviews seem to have docked it points for the negatives without taking into account how great the positives are. So it's really hard to say how well the MP will do!

But like I said in the main thread, at the point I'm at now (I've visited the first 3 planets and done 1 major story event after meeting Jaal but not even started colonizing the ice world) even if the rest of the game were terrible it would already be a big step up from ME3.

The thing that's a real sticking point, I think, is that ME2 and 3 cultivated a fanbase of players who are used to a certain level of "pick up and play" or ease of use. ME:A asks you to engage with it like it's a proper RPG, with large explorable areas and towns and tons of downtime between shooting galleries. Like you can play for 3 hours and barely shoot anything, which never happened in ME2 or 3, especially 2 with its mission structure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

moist turtleneck posted:

Is there a Geth White Gold equivalent yet?

I forget the map's name, but the one where you start on a rocky platform and if you go immediately forward and a bit left you'll get to a big building with a ramp up the left side. If everyone camps near that ramp, the enemy only has two approaches. One is up the ramp, which lol they're dead, and the other is the backdoor to the room, and it's easy to keep that clear since it is a doorway.

There is also a Dallas Book Depository very high up and to the right which will further trivialize everything if you have a sniper on the team.

Outlaw is the easiest faction so do that.

I don't know if this is a known strategy but I seem to end up on that map a lot more than the others. Pubbies seem to really hate the bigger, more fun maps. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of maps, it's kinda neat that all the current maps are remixes of ME3MP maps. The one that's small but has a lot of verticality is a remix of Dagger, there's one that's basically a cross between Reactor and Hydra, there's the Glacier and Condor ones, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RatHat posted:

So it looks like each point of damage resistance is 1% more effective health, so it's actually pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MECoOp/comments/61tctf/analysis_on_damage_resistance/

And it DOES work with shields/barrier.

Yeah I've noticed that even on Gold if you use classes that get tons of DR they won't die in a hot second like they did in ME3MP. Human Sentinel is pretty good for that reason, just run around detonating primers with a Talon or shotgun and use Energy Drain in a pinch. Against big enemies they can self-combo.

Ambaire posted:

What's a 'dallas book depository' and where do I find it on that map?

Sniper nest. If you go in the room to the left as you're heading to the ramp from the start point, jump up and there's a tiny room with a window you can shoot out of and basically never get attacked by anything.

precision fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 28, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Crusader is still really good in the single player, I assume it still owns in the MP, has anyone got one yet?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Krogan Engineer sounds like a parody of a transvestite in an Adam Sandler movie and it kills me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, you guys weren't kidding about the Vanquisher. I have both it and the Isharay at level 1 and didn't really give the Vanquisher a chance until last night since the Isharay does a ridiculous 1500 or something damage even at level 1, but the fact that the Vanquisher holds 4 shots per clip makes a stupidly big difference. Point at dudes and click, top the scoreboard without even trying. Half the time I don't even bother cloaking before I shoot.

e: did they do something to the XP formula? It didn't seem like it took nearly this long to level up in ME3MP. My highest level guy is a level 14 Vanguard. If I take a level 8 or 9 character into Gold, they tend to only gain 1 level from a full extraction. Does difficulty level not increase XP any more?

precision fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Digirat posted:

It makes a difference, just not nearly enough of one (I haven't checked the numbers above bronze, but I know the exp you get on bronze is the sum of all the points the team got, and silver just multiplies this value by something in the ballpark of 1.5). It starts taking 2 silver games to get a single level on a character before you even hit the level it recommends for silver, and again for gold. When silver is around twice as hard as bronze, it really should be giving you 2x the bronze exp, and gold 3x or more. The current values would be more reasonable if you were still leveling up 1/6 of the available characters at a time, but it's one at a time now, and you will also be short between 3 and 15 skill points at level 20 if you haven't unlocked the same character literally 10 times yet.

I'm not sure what the mentality is behind walling off the player from experiencing the content in the game they already paid for besides to push for microtransactions (thanks EA). Vermintide has made it far easier to get the items you want in no fewer than 5 different ways since it came out, and virtually everyone agrees that the game is much better off for it.

Yeah, the fact that you have to level every character individually makes the XP gains hurt even more.

I think what their intention is is to keep people playing Bronze/Silver and retain players longer because it takes so much longer to get to "the endgame content". I'm pretty sure that I was playing exclusively Gold matches starting like 2 weeks after the game came out, with all level 20 characters, and just playing to watch numbers on guns go up. This time they seem to want you to actually enjoy going up to level 20 which... doesn't really work that well when you're playing a horde mode and not an actual game.

• Locked thread