Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, also you can split your forces in a co-op campaign in the tactical battles, so the other player has something to do other than spectate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Neat!

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

marshmallow creep posted:

I think a friend of mine was interested in this game. Is the multiplayer inherently competitive or can you team up to conquer the old world?

Very beaten but yeah the co-op battles are super fun

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mukip posted:

The Empire is a fantastical version of the Holy Roman Empire from real world history. It is a diverse, feudal nation with little central control, theoretically led by an Emperor who is elected by the twelve provincial Elector Counts.

In 2522 there are only ten Elector-Counts left. It'd be cool if you could establish the other two though, even if it would piss off Middenland, Nordland, and Wissenland.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair this is a pretty great way to handle the situation. I love WH (/40K) Orkz, they add some much needed humor to all the grimdark. Shame they are such a pain in the rear end to play in this game.

the only major problem with storm of chaos was on GW's end, because it took Archaeon the Everchosen and turned him into Archaeon the Everfailing among players. Chaos inherently has always had a credibility problem, being the dark in a grimdark world. when you combine that with an event that had the empire, the dwarves, and even the freaking orcs making Archaeon look like a chump, there was a serious question on what, exactly, Archaeon threatened.

abbadon has this same problem in 40k, where up until recently he had 12 black crusades that were supposed to do something big and bad but just fizzled out and got beaten. they tried the same player driven thing about his breakout campaign in the 13th, but that ended poorly again because the results weren't as transparent and both sides ended up accusing the other of cheating. end result was that chaos ostensibly won but many players didn't see the development as legitimate so games workshop had to throw the imperial players a bone by giving the imperial navy control of the planetary space around the contested planet. they later attempted to rehabilitate chaos by retconning the first 12 black crusades as having smaller objectives than total domination, and saying they were largely successful. which sounds fine to newer players but is continually interpreted as a cop out by older ones.

what I'm saying here is don't expect decisions surrounding the bad guys to make sense in warhammer anything, they've all had really hard lives and games workshop does not seem to really know what to do with them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Randarkman posted:

And if anything I would think Karl Franz would be 100% within his sacred rights as Emperor to expel the Bretonnians if they seize what is his by right.

I'm also a boring motherfucker with the patience to just siege Marienburg until they starve to death. Then I loot them because gently caress that seccessionist filth.
marianburg entirely legally bought their independence from the Empire in 2429 IC (albeit after an extended military campaign from the Empire) actually, their independence is a long done deal and it's actually weird that the game considers them part of the Empire provinces when Franz takes the throne in what, like 2502?

e: also, regarding autoresolve, the biggest problem in it, that is very, very difficult to resolve, is that it does not properly handle melee defense and armor and fatigue. in-map, as units fatigue, their melee defense slackens off and therefore their armor has to absorb more - and most likely it won't be able to keep up. time doesn't 'pass' in autoresolve so while a unit can start tired they won't eventually poo poo out to exhausted. consequently, armor and defense are overvalued.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 23, 2017

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

genericnick posted:

Is getting an early trade deal with Kislev common? When I played empire/dwarves some patches ago I only got one when chaos arrived and after throwing bribes at them for ten turns. On the other hand Bretonia usually agrees on turn 2 or three.

It used to be way harder but I've noticed them being more agreeable about it lately, no idea what changed.

quote:

I think a friend of mine was interested in this game. Is the multiplayer inherently competitive or can you team up to conquer the old world?

Multiplayer campaigns can be played as both Co-Op or VS, ditto custom battles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

White Coke posted:

In 2522 there are only ten Elector-Counts left. It'd be cool if you could establish the other two though, even if it would piss off Middenland, Nordland, and Wissenland.

Mannfred Von Carstein is technically still an elector count. He has a vote towards the next emperor despite his hostility and being undead.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's most likely a wash though because he keeps voting for himself.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, just found this thread. Interested to see how this moves the series forward, as I know literally nothing about it, but have played past games to death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Danann posted:

It's most likely a wash though because he keeps voting for himself.

I don't think that is allowed. Likely he just abstains.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The elector counts are expecting consolidated Reikland by turn 5 and Marienburg taken by turn 6 at the latest. You will be excused if Skarnik's Waaaaagh! decides to pay a visit, at the same time Artoi and Middenland declare war.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZearothK posted:

The elector counts are expecting consolidated Reikland by turn 5 and Marienburg taken by turn 6 at the latest. You will be excused if Skarnik's Waaaaagh! decides to pay a visit, at the same time Artoi and Middenland declare war.

Man why does he keep summoning those douches.

Also the reason retaking Marienburg is a big deal is that while its independence has been a done deal for some time, its control of a very important harbor and of the mouth of a very important river leaves it in a place where it can strangle Imperial trade if it wants to. Also, Boris Goldgather was a lovely emperor and everyone after him has tried to undo his legacy because he was awful. Taking back Marienburg is one of those things every Emperor has wanted to do since it was given away, but hasn't because, as mentioned, Marienburg is in a position to stop up a ton of Imperial commerce if it gets pissy.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
This game owns

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

madmac posted:

Multiplayer campaigns can be played as both Co-Op or VS, ditto custom battles.

Can you have more than two in Co-op?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Only two people can play in Co-Op mode.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

genericnick posted:

Is getting an early trade deal with Kislev common? When I played empire/dwarves some patches ago I only got one when chaos arrived and after throwing bribes at them for ten turns. On the other hand Bretonia usually agrees on turn 2 or three.

You can get a trade deal off them easily in the first turn, but not afterwards iirc. I know this because I kept trying to get trade deals with everybody in some of my earlier playthroughs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mannfred Von Carstein is technically still an elector count. He has a vote towards the next emperor despite his hostility and being undead.

Not with Vlad and Isabella running around, he's not. Vlad is the elector count by marriage to Isabella, because she's the daughter of the previous Count and he officially named Vlad his successor.

Granted, it was to spite his brother who he hated, Vlad threw said brother out the window when they were done, and the witnessing priest was banished shortly thereafter, but it was entirely aboveboard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

wiegieman posted:

Not with Vlad and Isabella running around, he's not. Vlad is the elector count by marriage to Isabella, because she's the daughter of the previous Count and he officially named Vlad his successor.

Granted, it was to spite his brother who he hated, Vlad threw said brother out the window when they were done, and the witnessing priest was banished shortly thereafter, but it was entirely aboveboard.

This is correct. But Vlad and Isabella are noted as having come back to life. The title went to Mannfred after Vlad's death and I am not sure how succession works in the case of Vlad coming back from the dead.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

But Sylvania was never ruled by an Elector-Count. If it was they'd have a Runefang. Sylvania's ruler is referred to as a Count though and it was annexed to Stirland after the Battle of Helfen (where Mannfred supposedly died) so he might have been a legitimate candidate for the imperial throne.

wiegieman posted:

Mannfred was "adopted" by Vlad (and I've heard that in one of the expanded universe novels he implies that he was Vlad's lover, but I've never read it) inasmuch as he had the Von Carstein name so he is Vlad's successor, and since Vlad and Isabella were deader than usual for several hundred years Mannfred could claim that even if they were back he was still the rightful ruler of Sylvania, which doesn't legally exist anymore anyway.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
This is all ignoring the fact that the Empire doesn't care how good of a lawyer Mannfred thinks he is, they aren't letting a bloodsucker vote or become emperor.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So this LP is great and I love the detail and skill being displayed. Please keep this up

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

unwantedplatypus posted:

This is all ignoring the fact that the Empire doesn't care how good of a lawyer Mannfred thinks he is, they aren't letting a bloodsucker vote or become emperor.

Well, maybe. Kislev was ruled by a vampire for a while and no one had any problem with it until the nobles realized she'd never have a successor. One of the grand jokes about the Vampire Counts in Fantasy, and the Von Carsteins in particular, is that by and large they're not particularly worse than your usual human noble and some vampires (Vlad in particular comes to mind) are genuinely better and more benevolent rulers than most human nobles.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Bought this game through the Humble thingy and tremendously enjoying a co-op campaign right now. Also enjoying the LP so far! Can we expect daily updates?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Well, maybe. Kislev was ruled by a vampire for a while and no one had any problem with it until the nobles realized she'd never have a successor. One of the grand jokes about the Vampire Counts in Fantasy, and the Von Carsteins in particular, is that by and large they're not particularly worse than your usual human noble and some vampires (Vlad in particular comes to mind) are genuinely better and more benevolent rulers than most human nobles.

Old mad Otto von Drak was notably lovely even by the low standards of the Elector Counts, and Sylvania has long been suffused with dark magics. Most of the reason Vlad was such a relatively great ruler is that the man-eating-wolves, man-eating-trees, and other miscellaneous nightmare-beasts of Sylvania were no longer operating on their own initiative and instead eating who he told them to eat.

On a related note, Witch Hunters and priests of any of the Empire's gods assigned to Sylvania started having reeeeal short life expectancies.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Bought this game through the Humble thingy and tremendously enjoying a co-op campaign right now. Also enjoying the LP so far! Can we expect daily updates?

Updates are going to be somewhere between 1-3 days per turn depending on how much there is to do and how busy I am, but I expect them to be daily for a while.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Turn 3

We need to provide some context for these shenanigans and describe the Warhammer world.

This here is a map of The Old World. It is slightly outdated and does not include factions included in recent updates, such as the Crooked Moon and Von Carsteins. The red areas mark the territory of The Empire and it's our objective to gain all of that territory while also destroying the Vampire Counts and defeating Chaos. The Bretonnians control the western lands, whereas the Norscan marauders inhabit the frozen tundra of Norsca to the north. The other human factions are made up of bit players (Kislev, Estalia, Tilea and the Border Princes) who are mashups of various European cultures.

The Empire is ringed by mountains. Many of them are inhabited by Dwarfs, but some by Greenskins. Something that differentiates this TW title from previous ones is the regional occupation mechanic. Dwarfs and Greenskins can only inhabit the mountains and the Badlands, whereas humans and others cannot control those areas at all (but those settlements can be razed to the ground by them). The Dwarfs tend to do better the further away they are from the Badlands to the south east, which is the center of power of the Greenskins. It is my hope that the dwarf High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer keeps them busy for a long time, since I don't really need Orc Waaaghs! pouring into The Empire on top of everything else. And he's too far away and the number of armies clashing too many for me to realistically have any chances of helping him. Whoever wins that war will determine whether I have an easier or a harder time later on.

So far, this is the territory and factions we have discovered ingame. Top map is colour coded by ownership and bottom describes diplomatic standings. Right now, we don't technically have any allies and there's a good reason for that. The problem with military alliances is that you never know who your ally is going to declare war on; usually it's one of your other friends or allies. If you don't back your ally in war you suffer huge hits to your reputation, making it even harder than usual to form agreements and also leading to many existing agreements being cancelled. But if you do back your war ally against your other friend then, well, there goes that carefully cultivated relationship. So this map filter isn't very useful. What I care about most is a faction's opinion of me but I aim to avoid alliances owing to the large number of friends I am aiming to cultivate.

The Barracks upgrade construction was completed this turn and we can now recruit better troops. What's more, some technology research options have been unlocked (these are tied to buildings for The Empire). The three options available to us are sergeants for +2 veterancy for new infantry units, standard bearers for +5 infantry morale and musicians for +5% infantry speed. The standard is probably the best overall, but the veterancy tech would have the most impact the earlier I research it, because it's only applied when a unit is recruited and not retroactively (unlike most other techs). The musician tech seems like it really sucks so I doubt I'll research that. I go for sergeants.

The armies advance. One towards Karak Azgaraz in the mountains and another towards the rebel stronghold of Helmgart. I'm hoping the Crooked Moon clear out to go fight the dwarfs so I can loot the place, while Karl reconquers Reikland. And that's it for this turn!

AI Turn 3

Oops. Seems like my Arch Lector advanced a little too far and Skarsnik decided to attack the army. I should have stayed a little outside his range to avoid this scenario. I can't fight battle and so I retreat.

Turn 4

I'll do an extra turn since the last one was so uneventful. But there's a lot happening now and things are kicking off. My ill-advised advance on Karak Azgaraz has provoked the hornet's nest and goblins are swarming into Reikland. This is very bad. There's no way that Grunburg and that smaller army could hope to fight off that any goblins and a giant spider, but Karl Franz' army might be able to.

In other news, Boris Todbringer has been sending support to the secessionists all along. A very valuable mission has been issued which could gain us a wizard early on as a reward. I really want to gain a free wizard but I'm preoccupied right now, so Todbringer's machinations will have to wait.

I feel like he can beat that army so the Emperor advances on Karak Azgaraz.

Meanwhile, Szwarzhelm has reinforced the town garrison with his army and I have also recruited a new general to further bolster the defence. Recruiting a general to do nothing but add himself to the battle is a desperate move, because each new general adds a global penalty to army upkeep, but there aren't enough troops as it stands as even a longe general is a decent fighter in themselves.

Lats turn, the Emperor as the victim of an assassination attempt by a Goblin Big Boss (a Greenskin hero who isn't very big at all). Fortunately, it was a failure. Heroes can take these sorts of actions of the strategic map but also join armies and show up in battles. There aren't many heroes around now but I intend to recruit loads of them later on.

I offer Louen 500 gold for a trade deal since we're gettng quite chummy but he's not having it.

On the other hand, we discovered Arwylon this turn, one of the Wood Elf factions. The Wood Elves are an isolationist faction of Orlando Blooms that cohabit the forest with a variety of tree spirits. Durthu is a giant treeman. I just throw out a non-aggression pact without expecting anything, but surprisingly he agrees to it.

AI Turn 4

Skarnsik attacks Franz' army. I'm a bit surprised since I was sure that Skarsnik would try and sack Grunberg. Nonetheless, I felt like Franz' army could beat this but then I looked a bit closer and started to worry. That is a lot of goblins.

Skarsnik is both armour piercing and anti large, which gives him a bonus in combat against models which are horse-sized or above. This means that the barded warhorse upgrade for Karl is worse than useless and actually makes him weaker in this fight. Skarsnik has also brought his Arachnarok Spider along; a huge threat this early on in the game. It's a heavily armoured monster with buckets of health and damage output. But worst of all it causes terror, and my troops have rather poor leadership this early on in the campaign. There's no way I'll win unless the spider dies. We do have armour-piercing handgunners, and the Emperor himself is armour piercing with his warhammer so the Aarachnarok is not as invulnerable as it otherwise might be. Here's the battle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVuKx1NabJ8

Arrgh. I was far too arrogant in seeking this battle. If I had a few more unit of swordsmen I could have pulled this off. If you're wondering why I didn't pull the Reikguard out of that fight early on, it's because I was worried that they would be get stuck by the Squig Hoppers and then rout from being hit in the rear. But I might have been better off trying to extricate them in order to get more charges off (they still got 250 kills). The Emperor's army retreats in tatters.

An even bigger problem: Karl retreats to Karak Azgal. That's not where you want to be going, son. Skarnik catches up and brings reinforcements from the keep to the battlefield, further cementing the hopelessness of this next battle as 2700 goblins close in on the remaining 365 soldiers. The Reikland army is massacred. Sad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW0p03NHl70

The only minor consolation is that the Handgunners finally put down the Arachnarok, an irreplaceable unit for Skarsnik this early on in the game (likewise my Reiksguard). But I'm down an army, The Emperor is humiliated and my early-game schedule has been upset. It's not the end, but it's a big set back and I'll have to make good moves from now onwards. The diplomatic priority now will be FYGM while recapturing Reikland.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 24, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Lots of crying mothers in Reikland tonight. With so many distrustful elector counts they might smell blood in the water after that one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, that could have gone better. Legendary doesn't gently caress around, does it? :ohdear:

Would keeping the Halberdiers have helped any with the Arachnorok? They're Armour-piercing and Anti-Large, aren't they?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Halberdiers wouldn't be much help against the Arachnaroc Spider because they'd run away from terror after a short while. But any extra troops would have been welcome against the swarm of goblins. On Legendary enemies get a morale buffs, while the player's troops get a morale penalty. This even things out for a lot for goblins who have poor morale but are otherwise an adequate infantry unit.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh no Karl, you got beaten up by the tiny greenskins! now the dwarves will never respect you. :ohdear:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

At least the spider is dead, that's going to take a lot of steam out of Skarnisk's rampage and will make it very likely that Karak Norm will come out on top in the Grey Mountains.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Still this is way wrose for Karl then it is for Skarnisk. Combined with the fact that dudes like the Beast Men may take advantage of this. Khazrak has a habit of raiding my lands around this time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah that was my first thought. even on Hard i sometimes have a situation where i get an enemy horde stack showing up in reikland at a rate of 1 per turn, from skullsmashaz to skarsnik to beastmen and then hey let's also go with the redhorn tribe for flavor.

karl still came off the better in that fight just because everything lost is replaceable in the short term, while skarsnik's losses most certainly are not. however, skarsnik only really has one or two other enemies to potentially worry about. karl's got at least half a dozen.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
:siren:CONTROVERSIAL OPINION ITP:siren:

This game isn't as good as Attila.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

k, thanks for your input, door's over there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, I guess that the fact the Secessionists are still a going concern means that the various bad stuff might have to go through them first, or do Orcs/Beastmen not have any beef with them for some reason?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 23, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dominicius posted:

:siren:CONTROVERSIAL OPINION ITP:siren:

This game isn't as good as Attila.

literally fling yourself into the gaping maw of the dark gods

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg
This is around when I'd restart my campaign :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dmar posted:

This is around when I'd restart my campaign :ohdear:

It's not over. This is a setback to be sure, but even if things go south you can hole up in Altdorf and defeat the enemy in a siege battle.

Shame about the Reiksguard though. This might be the time to try to get a stable and a blacksmith up for some replacement heavy cavalry.

e: A captain to try to deal with Skarsnik's Goblin agents will also be high priority I imagine, though Mukip will have to get Altdorf to level 3 first. Those fuckers assassinating your generals can get infuriating if you don't get anything to stop them.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 23, 2017

• Locked thread