Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

do want

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Turns out this one wasn't a rumor:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol, i'd completely forgotten about this

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if you hit every sheikah stone a hidden door will open at the back of the temple of time and the reinforce is there and also zora's domain melts when you get it

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

the most powerful console of all time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

look at this timing:

Chainclaw posted:

I'm doing a ton of house cleaning, and going through boxes of old paperwork. I found this amazing flyer and am not tossing it out.
edit: I don't know if I got this at GDC in 2004, or if I got this when the Phantom guys gave a presentation at Full Sail when I was attending in 2003.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

look at this timing:
If the Phantom existed in the era when Kickstarter was actually a thing it would have made a billion dollars.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
kind of sounds like a steam box. didn't it also promise to emulate all existing consoles at the time, too?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

WHat they're describing is exactly what PS4/Xbox ONe is now, down to the increasingly huge amount of early access shovelware that Phantom didn't predict

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah they promised cross platform compatibility with every other console hardware out at the time.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wonder whatever happened to the phantom guys

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

i wonder whatever happened to the phantom guys

they were basically insane scammers from the very beginning. they never paid rent so they moved from office to office and state to state, they continually took out new loans to pay off old loans, and after they'd paid themselves in stock for a couple of years and had run the value down to less than a cent a share, they distributed fake 'hot tips' via fax so they could dump all of their own shares for the inflated price.

i remember someone starting a thread in games back in the day trying to get goons to buy a majority share in the company when it was trading so low, but that was probably just somebody else trying to dump shares.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The original Kickstarters.....

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoderman posted:

they were basically insane scammers from the very beginning. they never paid rent so they moved from office to office and state to state, they continually took out new loans to pay off old loans, and after they'd paid themselves in stock for a couple of years and had run the value down to less than a cent a share, they distributed fake 'hot tips' via fax so they could dump all of their own shares for the inflated price.

i remember someone starting a thread in games back in the day trying to get goons to buy a majority share in the company when it was trading so low, but that was probably just somebody else trying to dump shares.

lol, cool

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

look at this timing:

OPTIONAL: television

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Spoderman posted:

thats awesome

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
The logo of a cool cyber warrior helmet for a console called "phantom" is some extremely powerful branding synergy

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's insanely funny that they apparently set out to scam people from the start, and named the thing "the phantom"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

loving finally.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thunder only happens when it's raining...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

PlayStation All-Stars Staptum.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

PlayStation All-Stars Staptum.

PS rear end

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
who is that character

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Horizon Zero Dawn MC. I never played the first game but I'd buy this if they made a cool Yharnam hunter character

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

who is that character

Natasha Drake

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That would be some win, I hope it's better than the first one.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Thunder only happens when it's raining...

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

were the ps all stars games any good. i got one for free and i remember it being awful

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

were the ps all stars games any good. i got one for free and i remember it being awful

They're awesome you should play them all lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there more than one PS all stars

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yeah I have the platinum trophy in all of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah I have the platinum trophy in all of them.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Remember when everyone thought the new Xbox system was going to be called the Loop?

and then Microsoft somehow managed to come up with something even dumber than that.

• Locked thread