Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I know all of D.C. don't give a gently caress about the poor, but from the stupids on twitter, facebook and D&D they want the poor people to all die or be relocated to mega cities because this will give us trans bathrooms or something. i feel like i shouldn't vote for democrats anymore if the party think i should be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
liberals always hated poor people because they're poor. americans just mistook liberal for leftwing

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

due to the implicit bigotry of liberal society against the poor, they were blamed for trump rather than petty-bourgeoise and 'respectable' republicans. this blame, combined with the horror of trump, caused the implicit bigotry to become explicit.

of course this is always framed around poor white people specifically, leading to the after-credits stinger of liberals wishing death and suffering on poor black people for the crime of living in the same states as the poor white people being blamed for trump

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

liberals just don't appreciate the homespun wisdom and dignity of the common man who votes to kill his grandma because the rich tv man promised to make the mexicans go away, op

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
because they value completely different things from the rural poor op

the only thing worse than liberals who blame the rural poor for trump is the rural poor who blame the urban poor for their poverty

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Jose posted:

liberals always hated poor people because they're poor. americans just mistook liberal for leftwing

lol this

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

liberals just don't appreciate the homespun wisdom and dignity of the common man who votes to kill his grandma because the rich tv man promised to make the mexicans go away, op

liberals are almost as bad as your posting

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
we should all hate this thread instead

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
That's my secret, I've always hated poor people - the hulk

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

we should all hate this thread instead

waaaaay ahead a ya

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
deth two poors XDXDXD

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Liberalism has always had this under current of social darwinism to it, that if a society is sufficiently free under liberals ideas of natural rights, every injustice is actually justified

It's not that they hate poor people, but that they're okay with that suffering, if they can convince themselves that the poors deserve it - ie they're indifferent

The systemic cause of issues aren't ever taken seriously, it's all about individual virtue

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

because they think the country consists entirely of the wealthy areas of about ten cities

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ie Trump voters are Bad/Racist, and that's why trump won

But liberals did absolutely jack poo poo about ensuring rural poors had a decent living, so that they couldn't get suckered in by charlatans promising the moon

instead, they made things worse with trade deals, and then wonder why their promises ring hollow

They created the the preconditions for Trump, they gave him fertile ground

But they will never take responsibility for that, because that would mean thinking about how the system quirks as a whole, it would mean dropping virtue politics

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i'd like a big mac, a medium fries and 'liberal' is a tendency not an ideology, it can refer to political positions ranging from 'it's ok for people to decide what religion to believe in a religion other than the state church' to 'taxes are worse than slavery', and it's a bad term to use in relation to the two major political parties, both of which are liberal in some aspects and illiberal in others and a medium coke please

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
There's always been that pretty steady undercurrent in Democratic circles of "gently caress you, you inbred rubes." At least, as long as I can remember. Remember Fuckthesouth.com? A narrative was born that the rest of the country was holding back the democrats, and that the rest of the country were idiots because of it. It's easy to not question it because republican governance is a genuine nightmare, but in that reluctance to look at themselves the democrats have been unable to really adjust their ideology in response to how a huge amount of people feel.
They're now the party of like 10 cities and 2 states, with honestly most of their voting base only voting for them because republicans are nightmare creatures born of bile and tax cuts. But SINCE their opponents are so terrible, they're able to put a cocoon around themselves by blaming voters for voting in those assholes, forgetting the awful voter turnout in every election and that they've steadily re-oriented themselves as a party of wall-street and silicon valley.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Shifting the blame on the poor whose votes they can generally take for granted allows bad dems to keep pining at the idea that one day they'll make inroads among well-to-do suburban conservatives who actually voted Trump.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Hillary Clintom trying so hard to appeal to Republican suburbanites, makes me think the centrist secret fantasy is to jettison poors out of the democratic party entirely.

At this point, the 'heart' of the party isn't with low income earners, its silicon valley + hollywood + big business, they're the only ones setting the agenda.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"gently caress the working class, what we really need to appeal to is the people who made white flight a thing" - somewhere a democrat strategist believed that unironically

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Don't you mean the leader of the #resistance?

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/438481/chuck-schumer-democrats-will-lose-blue-collar-whites-gain-suburbs

quote:

At least publicly, Schumer has no worries about his party’s dwindling fortunes among working-class white voters. “For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Luckily there's a theme song for bad dems to singL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqNxne97ubc

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

yeah, you'll pick up those voters who totally won't look for the first excuse to vote R and you won't lose any of your base trying to pander to them or anything

look we know you fuckers want to be republicans without the nasty race and sex bits so maybe do us a favour and join up so a real alternative can form

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

my liberal coworker always likes to say that poor conservatives keep voting against their own self-interest

the idea that the policies and agendas of the democratic party pushed over the past few decades have been actively hostile to these poor conservatives is lost to him

gutting welfare, the drug war, exploding the prison population, NAFTA, permanent normalized trade relations with china, TPP, CAFTA, wall street deregulation, choosing to bail out wall st but not homeowners, trying to cut medicare/social security in a grand bargain, abandoning unions, not pushing card check, refusing to impose cost controls on healthcare, being against drug reimportation from canada, being against negotiation of health costs with medicare/medicaid, etc. have all been pretty hostile to the economic well being of these poor conservatives

i mean the republicans are even worse, but when you have to choose between getting economically hosed and getting economically hosed, is it a wonder that they'll start focusing on the social issues instead

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

now?!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Another piece of it is that liberal trends, both culturally and politically, are driven from the media and personalities coming out of the major cities (mostly New York), meaning you have a group of influencers who have likely grown up upper or upper-middle class and urban, and who have been trained to look down on poor rural communities as hicks through decades of classism, media stereotypes, and insider Democrat groupthink. They themselves are a dangerously small group with immense power to alter the narrative, which is how you end up with insanity like Hamilton being the most important cultural moment of the year (that almost nobody has been able to actually see) and Lena Dunham being thought of as a valuable surrogate with a wide fanbase -- poo poo that could only come from the most insulated people with no sense for the outside world at all.

While a big part of it is denying responsibility for the Democrats (and Queen Hillary's) inability to appeal to voters, it's also this sense of betrayal. I feel like a lot of liberals earnestly don't understand how people could look at Hillary and not like her, or how they could look at the Democratic platform and be against it. It's very much a "if you don't like us, then gently caress you" attitude. As much of a role as misogyny and racism did actually play in the election, they will chock it all up to that, call Trump's victory inevitable, and use that as an excuse to write off every single person who voted for him as unforgivable bigots instead of people with actual complex opinions and struggles.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 22, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

TrixRabbi posted:

Another piece of it is that liberal trends, both culturally and politically, are driven from the media and personalities coming out of the major cities (mostly New York), meaning you have a group of influencers who have likely grown up upper or upper-middle class and urban, and who have been trained to look down on poor rural communities as hicks through decades of classism, media stereotypes, and insider Democrat groupthink. They themselves are a dangerously small group with immense power to alter the narrative, which is how you end up with insanity like Hamilton being the most important cultural moment of the year (that almost nobody has been able to actually see) and Lena Dunham being thought of as a valuable surrogate with a wide fanbase -- poo poo that could only come from the most insulated people with no sense for the outside world at all.

While a big part of it is denying responsibility for the Democrats (and Queen Hillary's) inability to appeal to voters, it's also this sense of betrayal. I feel like a lot of liberals earnestly don't understand how people could look at Hillary and not like her, or how they could look at the Democratic platform and be against it. It's very much a "if you don't like us, then gently caress you" attitude. As much of a role as misogyny and racism did actually play in the election, they will chock it all up to that, call Trump's victory inevitable, and use that as an excuse to write off every single person who voted for him as unforgivable bigots instead of people with actual complex opinions and struggles.

i really didnt read any of this order because i dont think its on the dollar menu but

ya man, right on

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's actually quite simple: if you're poor and white, it's because you've failed at capitalism. If you're poor and non-white, it's capitalism working as intended. Liberals don't hate poor people, they just love capitalism.

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot

ScrubLeague posted:

It's actually quite simple: if you're poor and white, it's because you've failed at capitalism. If you're poor and non-white, it's capitalism working as intended. Liberals don't hate poor people, they just love capitalism.

Yeah true but I've known that since the 7th grade when I was 30 cents short of a lunch though and had to sneak around and rummage through lockers to find something to eat... :ohdear:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kill the poor
Eat the rich
gently caress every other sonuvabitch

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
everyone with power hates the poor. if they liked them, well then they'd have money wouldn't they

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bc deepdown theyre capitalist scumbags

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CrumFUNist! posted:

because they think the country consists entirely of the wealthy areas of about ten cities

everyone does this

conservatives seem to have a mental compartment labelled "coastal liberal elite" which would refer (to a sane person) to like banking and tech elites, but actually includes everyone who either
1) lives in a place w/ jobs
2) reads a book that isn't the bible more than once a year
3) has a college degree, especially one that isn't related to business or medicine

and with conservatives and liberals both living in warped realities, what remains are fascists and leftists

95% of the leftists do, in fact, live in about ten cities

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Elitism, by an large. An elitism that believes that they are more intelligent, free thinking and socially progressive than the slack jawed outback yokels that live in rural farming areas devoid of artisan coffee shops, Uber and the Internet.

An elitism that believes that the best way to solve issues in regard to poverty is to throw money into large funding schemes that have no relevance to the small guy. This is then followed by an elitism that smirks and says "well if you won't take our money I can't help you and you deserve to be poor."

It's an elitism based upon focus groups and yes-men group think. The sort of thinking that believes they're doing the right thing - that rural America needs educated and held by hand into the new world, even if that world is more immoral than the one they're living in. Don't they understand that the world will be a much better place when they're all using an iPhone and there's a hipster shop on every corner selling food and drink two times the price from imported countries? They don't? Well gently caress them then.

The Democrats believe that they are the the side of righteous, that only through them will "good" policies be enacted. This is understandable because in the however many years of Democrat and Republican fighting, the Republicans have always shown themselves to be complete and utter monsters. The issue though is that this has caused the Democrats to become narrowly focused, playing more of a mathematical game of stay in power rather than attempting to fix or improve the United States.

To answer the question, Liberalism has always hated poor people. It hates them because it sneers at their unwillingness to adapt and evolve to the new world. It hates them for not conforming to their liberal ideals, even if those ideals are morally ambiguous. If they don't change then they will be shunned from society and then pitied.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
America is a Death Culture. It is in the psychosphere - the Aztecs, the Pilgrims, the Conquistadors - societies possessed by the same memes of spilling blood, sacrificing flesh, and deliverance to Heaven.

It is so much easier to demand sacrifice from, and spill blood of, others rather than yourself.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the people who voted in Trump weren't drug addicts making $20k, they were well-off white tradesmen with pensions worried that their kids might have to go off to the godless cities to find well-paying work instead of walking into a $70k factory job right out of high school. middle-income whites went for Trump at a significantly higher rate than low-income whites

rural poverty is a real problem, but it tends to be greatly exaggerated by some and heavily minimized by others, because it's popularly associated with white people (even though the rural poor are disproportionately non-white) and thus appeals to a variety of agendas

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Main Paineframe posted:

the people who voted in Trump weren't drug addicts making $20k, they were well-off white tradesmen with pensions worried that their kids might have to go off to the godless cities to find well-paying work instead of walking into a $70k factory job right out of high school. middle-income whites went for Trump at a significantly higher rate than low-income whites

rural poverty is a real problem, but it tends to be greatly exaggerated by some and heavily minimized by others, because it's popularly associated with white people (even though the rural poor are disproportionately non-white) and thus appeals to a variety of agendas

Correct, and furthermore, because the solutions to rural poverty arent trite slogans that fit on a bumper sticker

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Everybody else already covered the stereotyping of the poor, in spite of the polls clearly showing that Trump was favored by middle class voters. So I'll just add that liberals think capitalism works as a meritocracy rather than as a nepotistic ring of interlocking elite networks. Therefore if you're rich it must mean that you deserved it by working hard & right, instead of acquiring wealth through your relationships and access to specialized knowledge, whereas the poor are still poor because they just haven't applied themselves enough. This is why the liberal "compassion" for poor people is expressed through pity rather than solidarity, and quickly transforms into contempt when they think poor people aren't voting sufficiently Democratic enough.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I think it's also important to look at the other side and recognize that part of the reason these rural communities flock to the Republicans is that, not only have the Democrats given them barely anything in the last 50 years to get excited about and that Dems can point to as proof of their benevolence, but the right-wing media are drat masters at manipulation, spin, and scapegoating. With their own complete lack of morals, outlets like Fox, Breitbart, Limbaugh, Infowars, they're not afraid to lie and scheme and carefully brainwash through an influx of dopamine and outrage to get what they want.

The problem is that while liberals have rightfully complained about these groups for decades, they've done next to nothing to effectively counter it. Effectively countering it would be to appeal to that base whether they vote for them or not by creating strong social programs that help them, that they can then take credit for. Obamacare, even if it helped, was complicated, involved fluctuating premiums and insurance options, and was easily spun by Republicans as a death sentence for the poor - whether that was true or not. Whereas something like single-payer is simple, direct, and once people have it they would never let the government take it from them. But liberals aren't about socialized programs, they're about these complex monetized programs that ultimately are designed to make the insurance companies money and do nothing to target the pharmaceutical industry. Then when voters don't understand the programs, it's the people's fault for not kissing the heel of the great Democratic saviors.

If Democrats want to effectively counter right-wing propaganda, it's through action, not through "epic takedowns" and "eviscerations" from the John Olivers of the liberal media elite, whom those people have been trained to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Everybody else already covered the stereotyping of the poor, in spite of the polls clearly showing that Trump was favored by middle class voters. So I'll just add that liberals think capitalism works as a meritocracy rather than as a nepotistic ring of interlocking elite networks. Therefore if you're rich it must mean that you deserved it by working hard & right, instead of acquiring wealth through your relationships and access to specialized knowledge, whereas the poor are still poor because they just haven't applied themselves enough. This is why the liberal "compassion" for poor people is expressed through pity rather than solidarity, and quickly transforms into contempt when they think poor people aren't voting sufficiently Democratic enough.

You know, i can almost see the sneer on your stupid face when you type things like this. What economic system actually works on it's merits, or for that matter, what system of human interaction works on merits versus "a nepotistic ring of interlocking elite network, access to specialized.... blah blah blah loving blah"? Certainly not any kind of communist government, or whatever fringe retarded marxist philosophy splinter group you angrily cling to.

• Locked thread