Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As long as you remember that they don't actually give a gently caress about your identity, that seems fair. Obama and Clinton thought gays were subhubman freaks until a few years ago, so I guess that's better than someone who still thinks this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

imo it's more like Democrats and Republicans are both liberal parties that have degenerated in the absence of the ideological mooring provided by the Cold War. With one party steadily pulling the other further and further to the Right over time.

Yeah. No one knows why they do anything anymore, stuck in permanent liminality, hoping that some kind of fix- be it Jesus or the Singularity- will save us before we all start killing each other. Poor people are more likely to choose Jesus or total disbelief in the system, both of which pisses Liberals off.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

call to action posted:

As long as you remember that they don't actually give a gently caress about your identity, that seems fair. Obama and Clinton thought gays were subhubman freaks until a few years ago, so I guess that's better than someone who still thinks this.

it's political opportunism on all sides (a lot of republicans outside of freaks like pence and huckabee don't hate gays either), but the people Trying to gently caress Me Over in Two Ways are worse than the people Trying to gently caress Me Over in One Way

it's pretty simple

mysterious frankie posted:

Poor people are more likely to choose Jesus or total disbelief in the system, both of which pisses Liberals off.

they don't get mad because they Hate Jesus, they get mad because "choosing jesus" in the US just means becoming a republican or fascist bc right-wing politics own american (white) christian identity

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

That Robot posted:

lol they aren't the ones trying to cut social services

douchebag conservatives are

grand bargain

both love cuts

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

wizard on a water slide posted:

^^^

also re: the op the reason I still vote for democrats to defeat republicans even though they're lovely fake leftists is because democrats for the most part aren't interested in legislation that explicitly oppresses me on the basis of my identity on top of everything else

I hope that is ideologically acceptable

same

its just too bad that there isn't something substantial to really work out on top of "preserving" things as it is now so if poor people, who are busy dying don't see the better options, they're left with "what else do you have to lose" akin republican

at least i voted to make sure that people weren't actively and maliciously getting hosed instead of just systematically being hosed, big difference :shrug:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.counterpunch.org/2004/10/30/how-monica-lewinsky-saved-social-security/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Responsibility_and_Work_Opportunity_Act

oh it goes back farther than that...

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

reminder that the lady Bill exploited as a mascot for the latter thing there would go on to have a stroke and died a few years ago at age 59.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

That Robot posted:

what is the point of a dem party that loves cutting social services? especially when those services are already cut to the bone? wasn't it the idiot dems who gambled a poo poo ton of budget cuts on the sequestration bullshit? isn't that stuff still in effect, cept the republicans weaseled out of their half?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

but liberals are secret republicans now, so they're ideologically opposed to helping the poor now

thats the gist im getting here from the "why do liberals hate poor people now" thread

liberals: secret republicans

also, apparently republicans are liberals

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

wizard on a water slide posted:

they don't get mad because they Hate Jesus, they get mad because "choosing jesus" in the US just means becoming a republican or fascist bc right-wing politics own american (white) christian identity

I didn't say it was because they "hate Jesus"; it's because choosing Jesus as your savior, just like total despair, is analogous with denying the secular savior that buoys liberal spirits. Jesus isn't going to save me- I can't even buy a Jesus! Having wifi on my toaster, however, now that's concrete proof that things are getting better and we'll all be ok in a future Star Trek world. It's evidence that I'm not making a fundamental mistake.

Plenty of liberals believe in Jesus too, they just don't think he's going to save them in a material sense; poor people hold out hope that he (and by extension politicians that like him) will, because who else is gonna?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Condiv posted:

what is the point of a dem party that loves cutting social services?

I mean it has a point, just not for you unless you are wealthy

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

reminder that the lady Bill exploited as a mascot for the latter thing there would go on to have a stroke and died a few years ago at age 59.

http://americablog.com/2010/08/koch-industries-gave-funding-to-the-dlc-and-served-on-its-executive-council.html

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Democratic_Leadership_Council

The Koch Bros. also helped to fund the DLC which helped to get people like Bill Clinton, Al Gore, etc into positions of power.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

lol, just gonna quote this one real quick before you realize your tremendous mistake
what mistake is this

that the dems singlehandedly passed a lovely rightwing heritage foundation healthcare bill with no control costs as a giant handout to the rentier parasite class in the health industries?

things are slightly better than before and they expanded medicaid a little, but holy poo poo the ACA sucks rear end

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I didn't say it was because they "hate Jesus"; it's because choosing Jesus as your savior, just like total despair, is analogous with denying the secular savior that buoys liberal spirits. Jesus isn't going to save me- I can't even buy a Jesus! Having wifi on my toaster, however, now that's concrete proof that things are getting better and we'll all be ok in a future Star Trek world. It's evidence that I'm not making a fundamental mistake.

Plenty of liberals believe in Jesus too, they just don't think he's going to save them in a material sense; poor people hold out hope that he (and by extension politicians that like him) will, because who else is gonna?

The Christian Right believes that a Christian society which follows the precepts of Christ will indeed aid them materially. I mean, if you show enough deference then surely you will receive your just rewards. I do know that a lot of them literally believe in a divine providence of prosperity gospel, but if the Christian Right took over it would be genuinely transformative. But it's just that the country would look more like 20th Century Ireland than anything genuinely revolutionary.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
People seriously don't understand just how bad Bill Clinton was, and that it had nothing to do with him being a philandering child rapist.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Life seems pretty great when you're the privileged middle class of countries that extract imperialist super profits.

Even this is quickly becoming less true because the middle class is eroding away.

The future is going to be a massive 99% underclass who spend their days building luxury toys and services for a tiny rich elite.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 22, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

That Robot posted:

Arent they actually tho

just not as many or as much

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Liberals don't just hate poor whites

Watch how quickly they'll turn on any black person who doesn't bow down to the dems

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

MaxxBot posted:

Even this is quickly becoming less true because the middle class is eroding away.

Yeah, the problem with a labor aristocracy is you have to actually pay them.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

The future is going to be a massive 99% underclass who spend their days building luxury toys and services for a tiny rich elite.

Automation will make even that mostly unnecessary.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I missed a page

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

MaxxBot posted:

this is my fear. that dems are happy to go hand in hand with repubs into a future like that cause they got all their rich friends and celebrities with them in paradise

you could also say, they kinda already have...

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Condiv posted:

this is my fear. that dems are happy to go hand in hand with repubs into a future like that cause they got all their rich friends and celebrities with them in paradise

you could also say, they kinda already have...

Good news then, there's no such thing as paradise! When they finish hollowing out the world, we'll all fall together!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

...I'm guessing you probably don't want to high five now? I'll just... put my hand down.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Good news then, there's no such thing as paradise! When they finish hollowing out the world, we'll all fall together!

Nah with enough money you can live comfortably in a compound in one of the intact areas. And they're trying to gently caress off to space.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

...I'm guessing you probably don't want to high five now? I'll just... put my hand down.

you're pitching a nite crew tenant in a day crew/dnd thread, not preaching to the choir here friend

but as always

death is certain, keep your cool

namaste

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

what mistake is this

that the dems singlehandedly passed a lovely rightwing heritage foundation healthcare bill with no control costs as a giant handout to the rentier parasite class in the health industries?

things are slightly better than before and they expanded medicaid a little, but holy poo poo the ACA sucks rear end

the Dems DID expand Medicaid and authorized a ton of infrastructure spending. it made it just fine through Congress. but the (Republican) governors of these poor rural states turned down the government money and refused to implement the plans and programs, taking a principled stand for "I believe the government shouldn't help poor people"

and then poor rural whites rewarded them by electing a bunch of Republicans to Congress too

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

you're pitching a nite crew tenant in a day crew/dnd thread, not preaching to the choir here friend

but as always

death is certain, keep your cool

namaste

Dang I need to get a different job then.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

the Dems DID expand Medicaid and authorized a ton of infrastructure spending. it made it just fine through Congress. but the (Republican) governors of these poor rural states turned down the government money and refused to implement the plans and programs, taking a principled stand for "I believe the government shouldn't help poor people"

and then poor rural whites rewarded them by electing a bunch of Republicans to Congress too
lol the infrastructure spending bill was poo poo and had a shitload of tax cuts. literally no one is talking about the supposedly great infrastructure bills the dems have passed under the obama admin yet people are literally still talking about the new deal infrastructure spending to this loving day.

i dont consider it a tremendous mistake to point out the dems are only giving out breadcrumbs while selling out hard as gently caress while they had practically full control of congress to pass a major healthcare bill.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

lol the infrastructure spending bill was poo poo and had a shitload of tax cuts. literally no one is talking about the supposedly great infrastructure bills the dems have passed under the obama admin yet people are literally still talking about the new deal infrastructure spending to this loving day.

the medicaid expansion is good but ultimately tiny in the grand scheme of selling out so hard to these parasites in the healthcare industry. i dont consider it a tremendous mistake to point out the dems are only giving out breadcrumbs while selling out hard as gently caress while they had practically full control of congress to pass a major healthcare bill.

i'm not saying the bills didn't have a bunch of bad things

i'm saying that the few good things they did put in all got dumpstered

dems aren't doing nearly enough for poor people, so instead rural areas vote for the "lol maybe you could afford health insurance if you bought less iphones" shitlords

It's almost as if it doesn't really have anything to do with poverty at all

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If Democrats really wanted public improvements and welfare, they would be campaigning on them instead of investigating Russian ties to the Trump campaign.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If Democrats really wanted public improvements and welfare, they would be campaigning on them instead of investigating Russian ties to the Trump campaign.

quoting this

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

so instead rural areas vote for the "lol maybe you could afford health insurance if you bought less iphones" shitlords
wierd. that sounds just like obama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBQC7h37DQ

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Lol when was the last time Barry made 30,000 a year? He doesn't have a loving clue how much that is after taxes, rent and essential bills does he

The dem establishment is all like this

These people are completely out of touch. They look at the monthly job growth numbers and call it a day. Anyone who doesnt make it just isn't trying

Republicans say poo poo like that out of greed

Dems do it because they're out of touch coastal liberals elites

The working class is hosed either way lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Christian Right believes that a Christian society which follows the precepts of Christ will indeed aid them materially. I mean, if you show enough deference then surely you will receive your just rewards. I do know that a lot of them literally believe in a divine providence of prosperity gospel, but if the Christian Right took over it would be genuinely transformative. But it's just that the country would look more like 20th Century Ireland than anything genuinely revolutionary.

I meant Jesus in a more general poetic sense, as in any kind of transcendent force that can defy predictable outcomes (and whose immanence would fix everything), but said Jesus because it's America I'm focusing on, and also since I was speaking poetically I needed to be vague and unhelpful. It's not so much the Jesus of the organised Christian Right, it's the Jesus that moms cry out to when their kids get shot to death by the cops in their lovely neighborhoods or in some dumb loving battlefield half a world away. The poor are looking to that Jesus to save them from the void at the end of our culture, and groups on the Right are happy to have them along for the ride. They also enjoy that Jesus gives them groups to hate and blame for the absence of order, because it's a nice diversion and, let's be honest, just because you're being unjustly taken advantage of- possibly for generations- does not mean you're automatically a good person.

Liberals are too smart for that dumb poo poo, obviously- I mean, they did go to school, you guys, and have really good jobs that are safe from the ravages of globalism and they totally planned it all out that way- so they divert their attention from the fact that we need a revolution by repeating to themselves that capitalism will save us all from capitalism with technology and look, here in America it finally let gays get married and you can buy weed in a lot of places now, so between that and the new iPhone having wireless charging built in how can anyone look at reality and say we aren't going to keep puttering along without making systemic changes?

Liberals get mad at the poor choosing Jesus because it's a denial of their savior who has not yet fully revealed itself. It's also more potent at mobilizing the poor to gently caress themselves for your benefit than promises of technology to come based on a present full of technology they can't afford. Liberal atheists get mad at the poor because they're just so stupid; you can repeat all the most rational talking points the net has to offer at them and they still refuse to give up the ineffable presence in their lives that transforms their suffering into something of value. The Liberal faithful hate them because the Jesus of scared and angry people with no options makes the Jesus of people with normal problems look ugly.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Scent of Worf posted:

Lol when was the last time Barry made 30,000 a year? He doesn't have a loving clue how much that is after taxes, rent and essential bills does he

The dem establishment is all like this

These people are completely out of touch. They look at the monthly job growth numbers and call it a day. Anyone who doesnt make it just isn't trying

Republicans say poo poo like that out of greed

Dems do it because they're out of touch coastal liberals elites

The working class is hosed either way lol

You're right of course, but there is a difference. The republicans don't use the full force and weight of their cultural hegemony (because they dont have it lol) to tell the working class that they are literal garbage and that everything that they believe is garbage. Working class people aren't as dumb as a lot of people think - they know that Debbie Wasserman Shultz and probably every single democrat you could name are much much much more concerned with forcing bakeries to bake cakes for gay weddings and certainly the trans bathroom issue than they are about the working class.

When faced with 2 political parties that aren't going to protect you economically, but one of them says the words you want to hear "radical islamic terrorism" and so on, and the other party sternly lectures you about your privilege and how you're a bigot for disagreeing with the Lena Dunham wing of the party, it isn't all that hard to figure out whats going to happen

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

poor white people largely didn't vote but those that did went overwhelmingly for Trump

poor non-white people also didn't vote, and due to various suppression schemes they didn't vote at higher rates than basically everyone else, but those that did went pretty hard for Clinton

neither party is the party of the poor. they split the vote from this class roughly evenly

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fullhouse posted:

poor white people largely didn't vote but those that did went overwhelmingly for Trump

poor non-white people also didn't vote, and due to various suppression schemes they didn't vote at higher rates than basically everyone else, but those that did went pretty hard for Clinton

neither party is the party of the poor. they split the vote from this class roughly evenly

the income bracket that leaned trump the most was the $50k-$100k bracket

the $100k+ brackets were about an even split between the two candidates, while the <$50k brackets went harder for Clinton than any other income bracket

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

That Robot posted:

Liberals wanted to gut social security. (It's getting gutted anyway, but that's because Republicans and Democrats agree on economics 90% of the time)

The ACA made a lovely system even more intolerable for many people. Even though single payer is an objectively better system. (Which the liberals don't want)

People can't even afford loving pills anymore.

Liberal politicians have made it clear that even mild social democracy is intolerable to them.

You're are blind dumb and part of the problem if you think the system is working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

imo it's more like Democrats and Republicans are both liberal parties that have degenerated in the absence of the ideological mooring provided by the Cold War. With one party steadily pulling the other further and further to the Right over time.

Also this

Liberals don't even have a concrete ideology anymore so it's no wonder the difference between them and conservatives is completely aesthetic nowadays.

• Locked thread