Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

I'll donate to your patreon if you promise to go there and not come back. I'm serious. How much do you need to raise to :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

not to discredit your point, but

"Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping had an unshakeable fondness for the murderous Khmer Rouge and provided them with $100 million per year. “I do not understand why some people want to remove Pol Pot,” Deng remarked in 1984."

that hatred of the vietnamese runs deep i guess

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

gobbagool posted:

I'll donate to your patreon if you promise to go there and not come back. I'm serious. How much do you need to raise to :frogout:

i'll happily move to cuba if you give me ~20k

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Main Paineframe posted:

turns out poor people are overwhelmingly non-white

who'd have thought

kinda funny that so much attention is being paid to poor whites even though there are so many more poor non-whites
Poor people aren't overwhelmingly non-white, the number of poor white and non-white people roughly match. Which admittedly still speaks to the concentration of poverty in non-white communities, given that non-hispanic whites still make up a clear majority of the population.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Syllables posted:

"Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping had an unshakeable fondness for the murderous Khmer Rouge and provided them with $100 million per year. “I do not understand why some people want to remove Pol Pot,” Deng remarked in 1984."

China was, at that point, fully aligned with the US in foreign policy beneath the surface, maoist parties in Europe were in cahoots with the CIA, and they were happily helping Pakistan and the US on the sly in Afghanistan.

"Pol Pot was also China's creature" absolutely does not absolve the US' continued support of the Khmer rouge, to the point of still sending military and diplomatic support well after it was obvious to anyone that Vietnam had also won that war.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

And now the Trump admin wants Cambodia to repay the debts on the food aid we sent them after ruining their country, lmao.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

And now the Trump admin wants Cambodia to repay the debts on the food aid we sent them after ruining their country, lmao.

PAY DEBTS

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Syllables posted:

asians hate asians :shrug:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Condiv posted:

a lot of people went stupid during the election, cause they had to rationalize voting for abuela and 90% of her policies were loving dumb

my fav was her student loan forgiveness program for (successful) entrepreneurs

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my fav was her student loan forgiveness program for (successful) entrepreneurs

This was dumb but she actually had to delete a plan to give non profit/government employees loan forgiveness because it was already a program that exists, which really hurt her cred as a "Very serious and competent" politician.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

If Democrats want to effectively counter right-wing propaganda, it's through action, not through "epic takedowns" and "eviscerations" from the John Olivers of the liberal media elite, whom those people have been trained to hate.

Related to this, but I find that for many years now (at least since ~2000 or so) how liberal/leftist a politician is has been defined not by the policies they support, but by how strongly they oppose and condemn Republicans. This leads to situations where someone with thoroughly centrist political views is considered "very liberal" because they spend a bunch of time laying down sweet burns on Republicans. Jon Stewart is a good example of this. His personal politics are very centrist for a Democrat, but he was considered by many people (both Democrats and Republicans) to be very liberal/left-leaning due to the fervor with which he made fun of and condemned conservatives.

I feel like the Democratic Party can best be defined as the party for relatively good rich people, while Republicans are the party for the worst rich people. Basically, they represent the interests of wealthy people who believe bigotry is wrong and, at least on paper, truly would like to fight poverty. The problem is that, due to their background, there's a strict limit to how much they're willing to sacrifice, and it isn't really of as dire importance to them as it is to people who actually experience poverty first-hand. They're completely willing to donate some of their time and money, because ending poverty is something they actually do desire, but only up to a point. Even if it's not conscious, they will constantly seek out solutions that don't require a big material sacrifice on their part. It's not so much that they're thinking "I wanna stay rich and gently caress over the poor," but there's just this bias where they think "well, maybe it's not really necessary to increase taxes a bunch and we can figure out a ~smarter~ wave to solve this problem." This is also why most Democrats have no problem with coming out strongly against bigotry; a rich person loses nothing at all from wanting to end discrimination, so it's a good way for them to gain liberal cred without losing anything themselves.

And, just to be clear, there is a meaningful difference between these two groups. Good rich people are still drastically better than bad ones, and even their half-measures are preferable to what you'd get under the alternative. But there's a limit to how much they're willing to do.

Main Paineframe posted:

The narrative of liberal elitists laughing at poor rural whites from afar while doing nothing to help them is certainly a common one, but it's hard to square that with the actual facts. On the other hand, it sure bears an uncanny resemblance to cultural resentment of Northeastern elites that the South has held since before the Civil War!

Liberal elitism is definitely an actual thing. I've been involved in "highly educated/professional" circles since college, and I can't count the number of times I've seen very liberal acquaintances and friends talk about how rednecks/Trump voters/etc should be sterilized or whatever. In recent years I've said "hey, that's kinda hosed up?" in response and they usually won't fight the point but they still act surprised since they're used to just being able to circle-jerk about how terrible and dumb the rural proles are. Heck, I used to actively participate in those conversations during my first couple years of college.

That being said, this same sort of stuff happens among conservatives, but it takes the form of stuff like "heh, all those liberals/marxists/whatever who don't understand the real world." I think the main take-away from this is that liberals are susceptible to the same hosed up thought processes as a lot of conservatives.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 27, 2017

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mugrim posted:

This was dumb but she actually had to delete a plan to give non profit/government employees loan forgiveness because it was already a program that exists, which really hurt her cred as a "Very serious and competent" politician.
but i love her because she's such a policy wonk

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

As someone who voted for Clinton in the general election, can confirm I have a mania for devouring the flesh and blood of the depressed, Rust Belt masses that borders on the sexual.

It didn't start out that way, of course. I was at the local Starbucks' Chablis-&-Transgender-Awareness event when someone passed me an especially chewy canappe. On closer inspection, the filling was an arthritic thumb with the peculiar piquancy one only gets from a life of hard but honest toil in a UAW certified auto plant. Naturally I threw it away but by that point I had already swallowed half of it. I was unable to purge the savory but immoral morsel lest my vomit splattering on the encircling transgenders be taken as an expression of distaste for their gender identification. Looking back it was there that I was damned to neoliberalism, choosing to taint myself with the stolen vitae of a humble unemployed factory worker rather than risk the censure of my peer group.

TO BE CONTINUED

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Rangpur posted:

As someone who voted for Clinton in the general election, can confirm I have a mania for devouring the flesh and blood of the depressed, Rust Belt masses that borders on the sexual.

It didn't start out that way, of course. I was at the local Starbucks' Chablis-&-Transgender-Awareness event when someone passed me an especially chewy canappe. On closer inspection, the filling was an arthritic thumb with the peculiar piquancy one only gets from a life of hard but honest toil in a UAW certified auto plant. Naturally I threw it away but by that point I had already swallowed half of it. I was unable to purge the savory but immoral morsel lest my vomit splattering on the encircling transgenders be taken as an expression of distaste for their gender identification. Looking back it was there that I was damned to neoliberalism, choosing to taint myself with the stolen vitae of a humble unemployed factory worker rather than risk the censure of my peer group.

TO BE CONTINUED

i want to hear more, which certainly is not an indication of my own craving for the red blood of midwestern americans

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

always hated the poor, I know they're up to no good

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
I file a lot of poor people's taxes and mostly they're very nice (because they're usually happy to get their massive refunds)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jarofpiss posted:

liberals hate poor people because they love capitalism. jesus said you cant serve two masters but liberals don't know this because they are all atheists.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ytlaya posted:

Related to this, but I find that for many years now (at least since ~2000 or so) how liberal/leftist a politician is has been defined not by the policies they support, but by how strongly they oppose and condemn Republicans. This leads to situations where someone with thoroughly centrist political views is considered "very liberal" because they spend a bunch of time laying down sweet burns on Republicans. Jon Stewart is a good example of this. His personal politics are very centrist for a Democrat, but he was considered by many people (both Democrats and Republicans) to be very liberal/left-leaning due to the fervor with which he made fun of and condemned conservatives.

I feel like the Democratic Party can best be defined as the party for relatively good rich people, while Republicans are the party for the worst rich people. Basically, they represent the interests of wealthy people who believe bigotry is wrong and, at least on paper, truly would like to fight poverty. The problem is that, due to their background, there's a strict limit to how much they're willing to sacrifice, and it isn't really of as dire importance to them as it is to people who actually experience poverty first-hand. They're completely willing to donate some of their time and money, because ending poverty is something they actually do desire, but only up to a point. Even if it's not conscious, they will constantly seek out solutions that don't require a big material sacrifice on their part. It's not so much that they're thinking "I wanna stay rich and gently caress over the poor," but there's just this bias where they think "well, maybe it's not really necessary to increase taxes a bunch and we can figure out a ~smarter~ wave to solve this problem." This is also why most Democrats have no problem with coming out strongly against bigotry; a rich person loses nothing at all from wanting to end discrimination, so it's a good way for them to gain liberal cred without losing anything themselves.

And, just to be clear, there is a meaningful difference between these two groups. Good rich people are still drastically better than bad ones, and even their half-measures are preferable to what you'd get under the alternative. But there's a limit to how much they're willing to do.
The Republicans and Democrats are just the American Bilderberg theater group, putting on a show to distract people from the truth.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Republicans and Democrats are just the American Bilderberg theater group, putting on a show to distract people from the truth.

that they are, and ever will be, owned

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
They should put on Hamilton instead. I hear it's real catchy.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'M THE FOUNDING FATHERS AND I'M HERE TO SAY

I LOVE DEMOCRACY IN A MAJOR WAY

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://youtube.com/watch?v=wOKd5B17-EM

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the left has always hated the hell out of poor people, they've just been historically pretty good with lying about it

until this election when the masks came off :laugh:

dk2m
May 6, 2009
mmhmm, yes the guy that burns the cross on the yard deserves respect because he's *~poor~*

the true left wing project is to not humanize anybody against egalitarianism and to not have sympathy for fascist scum just because they're poor

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

internet leftists don't have a problem with the cross burners because it doesn't affect them personally.

Here's a Jacobin article about how cross burning is actually a sign of economic frustration:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dk2m posted:

mmhmm, yes the guy that burns the cross on the yard deserves respect because he's *~poor~*

the true left wing project is to not humanize anybody against egalitarianism and to not have sympathy for fascist scum just because they're poor

This is the left wing version of "mmmhmm, yes the guy that robs people on the streets deserves respect because he's *~black~*" and just as racist and retarded

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

call to action posted:

This is the left wing version of "mmmhmm, yes the guy that robs people on the streets deserves respect because he's *~black~*" and just as racist and retarded

the poor oppressed honkies

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

zegermans posted:

the poor oppressed honkies

This may surprise you, but not all black people are criminals, much like not all white people burn crosses on their lawns. Today, you learned

I know it's your retarded gimmick but taking editorials from the 80s complaining about how we have to pay WELFARE to those NI**ERS and doing a find/replace on those words with "redneck" isn't exactly a winning strategy

call to action fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 29, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

zegermans posted:

internet leftists don't have a problem with the cross burners because it doesn't affect them personally.

Here's a Jacobin article about how cross burning is actually a sign of economic frustration:

Most amazing strawman yet, and that's saying something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dk2m posted:

facist scum =/= Poor Midwesterner who lost their job because of poo poo trade deals, and has no economic opportunities.

If we're talking about some guy who has pictures of Adolph, and Himmler is his crib? Agreed, gently caress him. The likelihood that one can be "Deprogrammed" out of that mindset with economic programs is slim to none. That comes from a change of heart on a personal level. You can't legislate that away.

I think the point that the current left has done is disheartening. Bailing out Wall Street rather than Main Street was a massive mistake. Acting more like Rockefeller Republicans than the Party of FDR? Also a grave mistake.

We need a guaranteed income, inexpensive (or free) access to higher education/job training, single payer healthcare, end the war on drugs, end the prison pipeline and end the ability for companies to stop shipping jobs overseas/using H1-B Visa's for cheap labor/paying illegal immigrants under the table illegally. These are things that need to be championed by the current left wing party in this country as a solution to a lot of problems I see my friends, family and neighbor's experience.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

call to action posted:

thats quite a juicy false equivalency you got there. i too sincerely believe that a cross burning KKK member and some sort of nebulous black thief is the same???

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
So is this thread about leftists hating poor people or liberals now?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

everybody hates everyone else in our dumb gay doomed world

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

FuzzySkinner posted:

facist scum =/= Poor Midwesterner who lost their job because of poo poo trade deals, and has no economic opportunities.

If we're talking about some guy who has pictures of Adolph, and Himmler is his crib? Agreed, gently caress him. The likelihood that one can be "Deprogrammed" out of that mindset with economic programs is slim to none. That comes from a change of heart on a personal level. You can't legislate that away.

I think the point that the current left has done is disheartening. Bailing out Wall Street rather than Main Street was a massive mistake. Acting more like Rockefeller Republicans than the Party of FDR? Also a grave mistake.

We need a guaranteed income, inexpensive (or free) access to higher education/job training, single payer healthcare, end the war on drugs, end the prison pipeline and end the ability for companies to stop shipping jobs overseas/using H1-B Visa's for cheap labor/paying illegal immigrants under the table illegally. These are things that need to be championed by the current left wing party in this country as a solution to a lot of problems I see my friends, family and neighbor's experience.

it would, in fact, be helpful if there was some differentiation between the republicans and the democrats, recognizing that democrats havent been liberals in this country in a couple generations. choosing between 2 flavors of republican, one that's all in an trans bathroom rights, and the other that is angry about mexicans is a really lovely choice for the vast majority of people that don't care about either of those things but are concerned about how to pay the mortgage and their kids college.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dk2m posted:

thats quite a juicy false equivalency you got there. i too sincerely believe that a cross burning KKK member and some sort of nebulous black thief is the same???

Go ahead and explain why you think that's a false equivalency, I'd like to be entertained

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mysterious frankie posted:

sun wu kampf is a gigantic moron/loser, the people who hate the poor are liberals like zegermans

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

dk2m posted:

What do you define as "fascist scum?" All Republicans? Anyone who voted for Trump? Anyone who doesn't hold entirely correct left-wing beliefs?

Lots of people here would use these sentiments to write off like half of the voting population in which case, have fun with Trump 2020. Shaming the voters, deservedly or not, doesn't loving win elections. You don't validate their bigotry but if you have nothing positive to offer them they're not going to vote for you, it's pretty simple.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

fascism doesn't have to be associated with nazis. fascism is strong nationalism, government takeover of specialized industries (finance, industry, commodities), the idea that society is weak and must be strengthened through war, protectionist trade policies. fascism is an ideology that has been neatly reworded as "conservative" in the US.

The current left is some of the sorriest bunch of people. they are not liberal. that they can even convince people that someone like chuck schumer is a liberal is an insult to those that believe in liberalism.

your solution of working within a cancerous, rotten system to change things for the better is a pipedream. these things will never happen because the US socializes industry instead of labor, and blames labor when they cannot compete. remove your pity for those who are poor but are conservative - they believe nothing in the ideas of liberty and egalitarianism. they are the enemy as they keep in power those that destroy labor.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dk2m posted:

your solution of working within a cancerous, rotten system to change things for the better is a pipedream. these things will never happen because the US socializes industry instead of labor, and blames labor when they cannot compete. remove your pity for those who are poor but are conservative - they believe nothing in the ideas of liberty and egalitarianism. they are the enemy as they keep in power those that destroy labor.

Shut the gently caress up you retarded tankie, it's so ironic that you can't see how unbelievably privileged you'd have to be to believe that bullshit

"Lo, let the conservatives die before me" :checks trust fund account:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
You are literally suggesting that we should write off like 50% of the voting population :psyduck:

Do you realize that a majority is required to win elections?

• Locked thread