Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's gotten so bad that even my :911: dittohead father has now fully embraced elements of "New deal" leftism. I've heard him bitch about how corrupt the banks are, how we need to invest in infastructure spending...all of this.

But they keep putting their heads in the sand, and ignoring these people. They don't matter to them. They bailed out wall street and gave the finger to main street. They get to go back to their white upper class neighborhoods, or gentrified neighborhoods, then look down at everyone else that doesn't share their sesame street version of "diversity".

something I thought of

Obama took Andrew Jackson from the $20 last year

Trump (prob at Bannon's behest) layed the wreath at Jackson's tomb and tweeted about him and put his portrait in the oval office

there's prob no better symbolism for the way democrats gave up their original core identity as anti-bank, anti-northeastern elite populists with its core constituents in the south and midwest than this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

FuzzySkinner posted:

i know his background kinda contradicts this, but when's the last time you've heard a Dem champion FDR and his legacy?

I was gonna say bernie but then I remembered that he's not a democrat

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Iron Twinkie posted:

The modern Democrats desperately, DESPERATELY want to be the party of Wealthy, Socially Conscious, Smart, Respectable Republicans.

they are stuck in the 1990s

democrats of a certain age have still not gotten over the trauma of Reagan and Nixon destroying the new deal coalition

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Azathoth posted:

FDR, for all his faults, is as close as Democrats have right now to a Ronald Reagan figure, and I've never understood why they don't do more to talk about being his inheritors in the same way that Republicans talk about being the party of Lincoln and Reagan.

I've thought for a while that Democrats could get a lot of traction nationwide with a set of policies that intentionally hearken back to FDR's Four Freedoms:

Freedom of Speech - Even if Trump disagrees with you
Freedom of Worship - But not just for Christians
Freedom from Want - The 1% shouldn't live the good life while others suffer
Freedom from Fear - But not just for white folks

It's a coherent message that has relevancy today, while having historical resonance, but I doubt it'd get play inside their messaging shops. Democrats have been utterly incompetent at messaging for as long as I've been alive, I don't know why I think they'll suddenly figure it out now.

FDR changed America a lot more than Reagan, Reagan ultimately only succeed in tweaking the core of the new deal, social security and the administrative state, at the margins.

But FDR message failed 35 years after he died, because by 1980 it was no longer Roosevelt's America

And we are just getting to the point when we are no longer in Reagan's America

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

SimonCat posted:

Not sure what you're getting at here.

it's a south park reference i think

• Locked thread