Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
There's always been that pretty steady undercurrent in Democratic circles of "gently caress you, you inbred rubes." At least, as long as I can remember. Remember Fuckthesouth.com? A narrative was born that the rest of the country was holding back the democrats, and that the rest of the country were idiots because of it. It's easy to not question it because republican governance is a genuine nightmare, but in that reluctance to look at themselves the democrats have been unable to really adjust their ideology in response to how a huge amount of people feel.
They're now the party of like 10 cities and 2 states, with honestly most of their voting base only voting for them because republicans are nightmare creatures born of bile and tax cuts. But SINCE their opponents are so terrible, they're able to put a cocoon around themselves by blaming voters for voting in those assholes, forgetting the awful voter turnout in every election and that they've steadily re-oriented themselves as a party of wall-street and silicon valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

the people who voted in Trump weren't drug addicts making $20k, they were well-off white tradesmen with pensions worried that their kids might have to go off to the godless cities to find well-paying work instead of walking into a $70k factory job right out of high school. middle-income whites went for Trump at a significantly higher rate than low-income whites

rural poverty is a real problem, but it tends to be greatly exaggerated by some and heavily minimized by others, because it's popularly associated with white people (even though the rural poor are disproportionately non-white) and thus appeals to a variety of agendas

how dare blue collar workers want a good future for their children
how dare they want jobs that pay well that don't require you to move to a city and have specialized education
who do they think they are

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'M THE FOUNDING FATHERS AND I'M HERE TO SAY

I LOVE DEMOCRACY IN A MAJOR WAY

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I've always wanted an Iraq War memorial that listed the lives of everyone who died. A giant black wall full of the names of people who all died in that stupid war that we started for no reason and had no idea what to do when we fought it. Names and names and names and names and names

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah you really won that exchange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

rudatron posted:

The 'racists killed populism' is nothing but a convenient lie liberals tell themselves - they killed it, with their own hands.

The more I look back on that era the more I see that this is true. American liberals deliberately both turned away from and attacked the populism of the new deal. They said it was dying for decades and they kept trying to kill it until they managed to do so.

• Locked thread