Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Main Paineframe posted:

turns out poor people are overwhelmingly non-white

who'd have thought

kinda funny that so much attention is being paid to poor whites even though there are so many more poor non-whites
Poor people aren't overwhelmingly non-white, the number of poor white and non-white people roughly match. Which admittedly still speaks to the concentration of poverty in non-white communities, given that non-hispanic whites still make up a clear majority of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Related to this, but I find that for many years now (at least since ~2000 or so) how liberal/leftist a politician is has been defined not by the policies they support, but by how strongly they oppose and condemn Republicans. This leads to situations where someone with thoroughly centrist political views is considered "very liberal" because they spend a bunch of time laying down sweet burns on Republicans. Jon Stewart is a good example of this. His personal politics are very centrist for a Democrat, but he was considered by many people (both Democrats and Republicans) to be very liberal/left-leaning due to the fervor with which he made fun of and condemned conservatives.

I feel like the Democratic Party can best be defined as the party for relatively good rich people, while Republicans are the party for the worst rich people. Basically, they represent the interests of wealthy people who believe bigotry is wrong and, at least on paper, truly would like to fight poverty. The problem is that, due to their background, there's a strict limit to how much they're willing to sacrifice, and it isn't really of as dire importance to them as it is to people who actually experience poverty first-hand. They're completely willing to donate some of their time and money, because ending poverty is something they actually do desire, but only up to a point. Even if it's not conscious, they will constantly seek out solutions that don't require a big material sacrifice on their part. It's not so much that they're thinking "I wanna stay rich and gently caress over the poor," but there's just this bias where they think "well, maybe it's not really necessary to increase taxes a bunch and we can figure out a ~smarter~ wave to solve this problem." This is also why most Democrats have no problem with coming out strongly against bigotry; a rich person loses nothing at all from wanting to end discrimination, so it's a good way for them to gain liberal cred without losing anything themselves.

And, just to be clear, there is a meaningful difference between these two groups. Good rich people are still drastically better than bad ones, and even their half-measures are preferable to what you'd get under the alternative. But there's a limit to how much they're willing to do.
The Republicans and Democrats are just the American Bilderberg theater group, putting on a show to distract people from the truth.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I find that NPR is good for covering anything that isn't that important. Like their coverage of random stuff that isn't related to politics, the economy, or foreign policy is pretty good.
Everything is politics.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't recall that one specifically, but there were a couple instances where Bill said correct things like "Obamacare has problems and we should promise to fix them and generally improve it", and instead of listening, both the campaign and the media both just laughed it off and called it another crazy Bill Clinton gaffe because it contradicted Hillary's messaging.
Bill was the token leftist in the Hillary camp.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You should see all the stuff that claims America is a classless society.
It's true, for a different kind of class!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Not a Step posted:

Yeah. LBJ's one election was a Civil Rights referendum. He never had a Great Society referendum because Vietnam overshadowed everything else and he refused to run again. LBJ is the classic example of great domestic policy, bad foreign policy. Although I have a soft spot for LBJ because despite Vietnam being a colossal gently caress up, he believed in the necessity of the war in a way I don't think any other President did for their respective foreign policy gently caress ups. It doesn't make it suddenly right or good, but it humanizes LBJ in a way that, for example, the Iraq 2 doesn't GWB, no matter how much he paints.
WW2 humanizes Hitler.

• Locked thread