Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

but don't you like how their solution involves zero wealth redistribution and all about individual redemption?

this is why liberals breed fascists

Liberalism = capitalism + meritocracy. I make $1 a year more than you, therefore I am superior to you. Are you trying to tell me I'm no better than some fat bitch who listen to country music and works at WalMart?!?! Some of us went to Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Not a Step posted:

This is why early childhood intervention is so incredibly important, and also why poverty tends to be a generational issue. Aside from the permanent brain changes and maladaptive decision making caused by growing up with extreme stress poor kids tend to have enormous word gaps and delayed development. That hampers those kids from succeeding later in life. Rinse repeat when they have kids.

Its also why policy aimed at increasing economic stability is so incredibly important, and why the woke lords insisting they can hold out for a perfect solution that is tailored to them are so incredibly loving dumb. Kids can't get their childhood back. Undoing the damage later in life is vastly more difficult and costly.

Pseudoscience like this is also a problem. The economic and social station of the poor is consistent with their biological and psychological inferiority. "Science" says that they are where they belong, just as surely as God or the Karmic wheel would put them in their proper place. We should cut our losses but perhaps, with sufficient intervention, there is hope for the next generation?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Not a Step posted:

Barring genetic and gestational gently caress ups all baby brains are basically the same and have the same potential. Environment is the real shaping force, and we can and should do something about it. Science says that they arent poor because they have short term focused decision making, but that they have short term focused decision making because they are poor. We can fix poor.

And I'm not saying the adults are a lost cause, but I am saying it is a whole lot cheaper and easier to make sure kids don't get screwed by their environment.

Also, psuedoscience? Why would you think the stress associated with poverty wouldn't have a lasting physiological impact? Do you also think people with depression should just get over it?

The pseudoscientific part is where you overlap something that's medically detectable in some cases and map it to entire populations based on their economic class and political persuasion. Its just another variation on the "these people don't vote for us because they are dumb" argument that has been playing so well for Democrats.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Not a Step posted:

Are you anti-vax? Do you think global warming is a hoax perpetrated to stifle American industry? Is PTSD just being a big baby in your world?

Poor peoples' brains are the wrong shape. Its science.

• Locked thread