Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

now?!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

TrixRabbi posted:

Another piece of it is that liberal trends, both culturally and politically, are driven from the media and personalities coming out of the major cities (mostly New York), meaning you have a group of influencers who have likely grown up upper or upper-middle class and urban, and who have been trained to look down on poor rural communities as hicks through decades of classism, media stereotypes, and insider Democrat groupthink. They themselves are a dangerously small group with immense power to alter the narrative, which is how you end up with insanity like Hamilton being the most important cultural moment of the year (that almost nobody has been able to actually see) and Lena Dunham being thought of as a valuable surrogate with a wide fanbase -- poo poo that could only come from the most insulated people with no sense for the outside world at all.

While a big part of it is denying responsibility for the Democrats (and Queen Hillary's) inability to appeal to voters, it's also this sense of betrayal. I feel like a lot of liberals earnestly don't understand how people could look at Hillary and not like her, or how they could look at the Democratic platform and be against it. It's very much a "if you don't like us, then gently caress you" attitude. As much of a role as misogyny and racism did actually play in the election, they will chock it all up to that, call Trump's victory inevitable, and use that as an excuse to write off every single person who voted for him as unforgivable bigots instead of people with actual complex opinions and struggles.

i really didnt read any of this order because i dont think its on the dollar menu but

ya man, right on

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, why couldn't Obama have made a simple change that solely benefited the poor, like massively expanding Medicaid eligibility? Or infrastructure spending as economic stimulus? The joke, of course, is that he did attempt both those things, among many other policies that would have helped poor whites, but both were blocked by both state and national Republicans in the name of their ideological opposition to government programs that help poor people.

It's true that those groups' support for Dems dropped off about fifty years ago, particularly in the South...but that happens during the very height of LBJ's Great Society and his War on Poverty, when American poverty rates were dropping at unprecedented speeds (at least until Nixon dismantled key anti-poverty programs).

The narrative of liberal elitists laughing at poor rural whites from afar while doing nothing to help them is certainly a common one, but it's hard to square that with the actual facts. On the other hand, it sure bears an uncanny resemblance to cultural resentment of Northeastern elites that the South has held since before the Civil War!

lol D&D what are you doing

look, the title says why do the liberals hate poor people now

and the answer is simple

they always did

bing bing bong

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:laffo:

jesus christ

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Main Paineframe posted:

little did they know that when LBJ declared a War on Poverty, what he actually meant was a war on poor people

your semantics is noted but we're talking about right now

you really do not need to preface the entire history because what has relevance today holds no candle to LBJ's social security expansion a billion years ago.

You can't keep a scoreboard of a previous match, its disingenuous as gently caress to fall back on lmebo. None of this poo poo matters now when LBJ's legacy has its time in the sun and is being poo poo on~

stop flapping your gums and make your point already and read the drat title the key word is now :nallears:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
liberals hate poor people now because liberals are secret republicans, i think thats what i got from this thread and i can walk away from this knowing this very fact and have learned something new today

its good imo that its all out there now on the table, im glad of it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Main Paineframe posted:

the Dems tried to expand Medicare and spend money on infrastructure and poo poo

Republicans blocked it because they are ideologically opposed to helping the poor

no one cares, though, so LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS

but liberals are secret republicans now, so they're ideologically opposed to helping the poor now

thats the gist im getting here from the "why do liberals hate poor people now" thread

liberals: secret republicans

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Anyway, liberals who hate the poor do so because they accepted the 2000s era culture war framing where it was poor rural vs rich urban.

no its because they're secret republicans

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Dem efforts are all compromised half-measures though. Like when Clinton wanted to expand Medicare - to 50 year olds.

if the democrats are willing compromise and consort with the republicans who are morally opposed because in their brokebrain that makes them the moral high horse then that must mean

liberals are secret republicans?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

wizard on a water slide posted:

^^^

also re: the op the reason I still vote for democrats to defeat republicans even though they're lovely fake leftists is because democrats for the most part aren't interested in legislation that explicitly oppresses me on the basis of my identity on top of everything else

I hope that is ideologically acceptable

same

its just too bad that there isn't something substantial to really work out on top of "preserving" things as it is now so if poor people, who are busy dying don't see the better options, they're left with "what else do you have to lose" akin republican

at least i voted to make sure that people weren't actively and maliciously getting hosed instead of just systematically being hosed, big difference :shrug:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mysterious frankie posted:

...I'm guessing you probably don't want to high five now? I'll just... put my hand down.

you're pitching a nite crew tenant in a day crew/dnd thread, not preaching to the choir here friend

but as always

death is certain, keep your cool

namaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Top City Homo posted:

liberalism embraces cargo cult scientism as a way to justify status quo capitalism and "human nature" by shutting out dissent to alternative forms of social organization

its cyclical failure through myopia to any values serves as the petri dish for fascism

this but like a lot

• Locked thread