Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Universal health care works everywhere it's tried but for some reason it can't work in America because of some dumb bullshit that some D&D idiot explained to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, why couldn't Obama have made a simple change that solely benefited the poor, like massively expanding Medicaid eligibility? Or infrastructure spending as economic stimulus? The joke, of course, is that he did attempt both those things, among many other policies that would have helped poor whites, but both were blocked by both state and national Republicans in the name of their ideological opposition to government programs that help poor people.

It's true that those groups' support for Dems dropped off about fifty years ago, particularly in the South...but that happens during the very height of LBJ's Great Society and his War on Poverty, when American poverty rates were dropping at unprecedented speeds (at least until Nixon dismantled key anti-poverty programs).

The narrative of liberal elitists laughing at poor rural whites from afar while doing nothing to help them is certainly a common one, but it's hard to square that with the actual facts. On the other hand, it sure bears an uncanny resemblance to cultural resentment of Northeastern elites that the South has held since before the Civil War!

Yeah, Obama was a decent dude overall for that. Liberals in general, though, like the ones that post in the Rural Poverty thread in D&D? They absolutely loving loathe poor rural whites.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

It is because every time one of you 101 level marxists grabs the mic all we hear about is corruption in the capitalist system and it's inevitable downfall, while failing to provide even a single example of a human economic system or other arrangement that's free of the sorts of things that happen whenever 2 humans talk to eachother. It's like you're gaming human interaction by a dungeons and dragons ruleset, except assuming you can roll a 20 every single time.

single payer healthcare, it's like the tides, they go in and out and you can't explain it

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

Yes cuba and north korea are surely preferable to living in Germany or the US and if you think otherwise I suggest you read das kapital again until you understand

I wouldn't want to live in Cuba but that's mainly because everyone there is so much healthier that I'd be embarrassed

Call me a communist, but those outcomes with 95% less spending doesn't SEEM to be an example of government inefficiency

edit: lol they switched cuba and the US for blood glucose and high blood pressure, unless somehow america is fatter without having any of the associated health effects

call to action fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 22, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

so this is where you tell me Cuba is actually a really kickin rad country and way more free than the US, right?

Cuba is indeed kicking rad, unless you're into fat people

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

I guess if your sole concern is where your country ranks on a health survey, and nothing else matters, then yeah, you should break your way into cuba. I imagine there's plenty of rafts in south florida from people (obviously employing double plus wrongthink) who came the other way

As a human being, yes, my physical health is a primary concern of mine. There's no need to take rafts as Frontier flys cheap from Miami to Havana. Lots of people go to Cuba for cheaper, better medical care though, to your point.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

So when are you leaving for Cuba? I can't imagine a reason why you wouldn't go, as you've stated, your physical health is a primary concern for you, and you don't seem the type to be able to figure out the American healthcare system. Do you have a patreon where I can donate for your airfare?

I have a job with a good healthcare plan, so I'm good even if I can see how hosed things are for others. I agree that it's pretty silly we have a healthcare system we have to "figure out"

gobbagool posted:

OK, yeah, i'm a white male with a mid 6 figures job living well, so you have a point. What makes you and your fellow travellers think that life in Cuba is so great though? I mean, people arent sneaking into cuba, they're putting their lives on the line to escape, on primitive rafts in dangerous waters. Why are they doing that? Because healthcare is so great in cuba that they just cant stand all the winning? Seriously, why is it that people are always fleeing communist paradises, to go to capitalist horrorshows like western europe and the US?

Why would you sneak in? Like I said, Frontier offers cheap flights there for the savvy medical tourist.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Also Cuban women are loving gorgeous blends of like every race, sorry no objectify. Hybrid vigor indeed.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As long as you remember that they don't actually give a gently caress about your identity, that seems fair. Obama and Clinton thought gays were subhubman freaks until a few years ago, so I guess that's better than someone who still thinks this.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Goddamn that is so badass, just loving taking US corporation's poo poo like that. Why should people in poor areas just watch their resources be extracted away?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

So economic interaction with the US is bad, and should be discouraged. But cuba's terrible standard of living is the fault of the US for refusing to interact economically with cuba, and the embargo is evil. It's almost like you're going to reflexively complain no matter what the US does!

quote where I said that

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dk2m posted:

mmhmm, yes the guy that burns the cross on the yard deserves respect because he's *~poor~*

the true left wing project is to not humanize anybody against egalitarianism and to not have sympathy for fascist scum just because they're poor

This is the left wing version of "mmmhmm, yes the guy that robs people on the streets deserves respect because he's *~black~*" and just as racist and retarded

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

zegermans posted:

the poor oppressed honkies

This may surprise you, but not all black people are criminals, much like not all white people burn crosses on their lawns. Today, you learned

I know it's your retarded gimmick but taking editorials from the 80s complaining about how we have to pay WELFARE to those NI**ERS and doing a find/replace on those words with "redneck" isn't exactly a winning strategy

call to action fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 29, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dk2m posted:

thats quite a juicy false equivalency you got there. i too sincerely believe that a cross burning KKK member and some sort of nebulous black thief is the same???

Go ahead and explain why you think that's a false equivalency, I'd like to be entertained

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dk2m posted:

your solution of working within a cancerous, rotten system to change things for the better is a pipedream. these things will never happen because the US socializes industry instead of labor, and blames labor when they cannot compete. remove your pity for those who are poor but are conservative - they believe nothing in the ideas of liberty and egalitarianism. they are the enemy as they keep in power those that destroy labor.

Shut the gently caress up you retarded tankie, it's so ironic that you can't see how unbelievably privileged you'd have to be to believe that bullshit

"Lo, let the conservatives die before me" :checks trust fund account:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MaxxBot posted:

"Poor and conservative" describes a ton of minority voters as well, they just generally don't vote for Republicans for obvious reasons.

I'll have you know that all minorities are woke as hell, in fact the majority of Latinos and black people that don't support gay marriage is all a right wing conspiracy

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dk2m posted:

one is a member of a majority group that faces almost little to no backlash in the courts of law. not to mention the tacit approval of powerful individuals depending on where he's from. Ask me how i know! (hint - ive dealt with it)

the other is some sort of nebulous black thief, not sure what you want from me here

Yeah I definitely want to know more about the powerful individuals you know and how they're linked to the KKK. Dead serious.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A New Dad posted:

This would make sense if I had voted for people whose platform and campaign rhetoric was "do insane hosed up things".

So you did it out of ignorance and that's better because...?

I don't get the "as long as I didn't *care* that we killed a million Iraqis for no reason, it's totally ethically defensible" mindset tbqh

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

That article is stunning in how they destroyed everything.

Pro-click.

I also would recommend this excerpt from "LISTEN LIBERAL", a book I have to get because it nails down the failure of neoliberalism:

http://listenliberal.com/excerpt.html

This was a great excerpt, just bought the book. Thanks.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

The Liberal's greatest sin, is his inability to remember that the average American will forgive a Republican anything, and expect perfection from Democrats. The second greatest is pretending that the left will ever be there when they're needed.

This is such a dumb take, maybe you can explain how Democrats even approached "perfection"

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

I think you're over-estimating the effect of these schemes. Anti-depressants don't make you mindless slaves, easily manipulated or whatever. That's not an actual side effect.

For me, antidepressants made me more comfortable with the way things are. This effect was more pronounced on Prozac vs. Wellbutrin ime, though.

Hodgepodge posted:

People who are already in poverty generally don't have that much time and energy for politics, and associating an increase in their economic pain with political action is a good sign you might be a privileged rear end in a top hat.

This is the "Rocky Road" version of the "giving people more money is racism" argument

call to action fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Not a Step posted:

Are you anti-vax? Do you think global warming is a hoax perpetrated to stifle American industry? Is PTSD just being a big baby in your world?

You are projecting INSANELY hard on this issue, just so ya know

• Locked thread