Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

WMain00 posted:

The Democrats believe that they are the the side of righteous, that only through them will "good" policies be enacted. This is understandable because in the however many years of Democrat and Republican fighting, the Republicans have always shown themselves to be complete and utter monsters. The issue though is that this has caused the Democrats to become narrowly focused, playing more of a mathematical game of stay in power rather than attempting to fix or improve the United States.

This is going to change quick, though. There is a massive grassroots progressive movement within the Democratic Party right now that is vigorously pursuing real candidates with anti-corporate views. Our Revolution, Justice Democrats, and Brand New Congress are just a few of the organizations that are doing this. I believe they just intimidated a few blue dog Democrats into renouncing their intent to vote for Gorsuch. Hopefully by 2020, these groups have pushed a majority of Democrats into adopting real progressive positions such as Single Payer Healthcare and free college tuition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

FuzzySkinner posted:

I keep listening to Chapo's Trap House and their words, along with this post accurately describes my feelings of disgust for them right now.

I used to think the old Conservative talking point about there being a "LIBERAL" media was horseshit. But you know what...it's a half truth. They are liberal, but only when it comes to the sort of liberalism that is espoused by Bill, Hillary and Obama. Beyond that? Well we see what happened during the primary and election cycle.

Honestly? I'm tired of their influence. They've hitched their wagons with neocons and all they care about are just the least important poo poo imaginable. Vague platitudes, and Red baiting 2.0. It feels like they're bizarrely threatened by any sort of change to their current control of the affairs and are now trying to protect that influence with Bush era republicans assisting them. It's really gross and disgusting.

I don't understand why people like Donna Brazille, Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Hillary herself just don't go away at this point. It feels like outlets like Time Magazine and others are so desperate to have this sort of neoliberal/west wing fantasy that the rest of the country has moved on from and wants nothing to do with.

Establishment media (neoliberal) outlets like CNN, NBC, NYT, WaPo, etc. ignored Bernie Sanders in favor of Hillary because they would've been taxed more under the former's economic agenda. You have to remember, these 'media' outlets are corporations, meaning their business model is inherently going to consist of pushing propaganda that preserves their self-interest and that of big money in general. Do you really believe that the current level of Red Baiting and hysteria over Russia is of genuine concern to these people? Hint: it's not. It provides them with the perfect smokescreen to avoid issues of genuine concern and urgency to the middle and lower classes of America (AKA get hosed, poors!). These people would have you believe that Obamacare is a 'left-wing' piece of legislation, despite it originally coming from the Heritage Foundation (Romneycare!).

When Trump calls the MSM 'fake news,' he's not entirely wrong, albeit for different reasons.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

FDR hated conservative Dems, and he's not bipartisanly popular anymore because the revisionist right has recast him as an incompetent corrupt idiot who doubled the length of the Depression through his foolish redistributive policies

This is mostly among Country Club republicans addicted to Fox News and Talk Radio, though. For instance, Pew Research suggests that 30% of republicans want government healthcare and expanded programs, and that number increases to 52% among republicans who make less than $30k a year: https://www.rt.com/usa/373904-americans-want-government-healthcare/

FuzzySkinner posted:

Glenn Beck being hailed as a "Historian" and ripping on TR, FDR...still pisses me off to this day. gently caress him.

Is he still rotating between Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt as the godfather of American communism?

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

The_Franz posted:

A guy who just happened to be president in the early 90s told Hillary's people that her campaign sucked and they really needed to actually go to those flyover-states and talk about policies that matter. He was laughed at by a bunch of 20-something staffers for being out of touch because "that's what Facebook is for".

Hillary's marriage must be extra rough now after he was proven to be correct.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Prolonged stress can damage your brain, news at 11.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Top City Homo posted:

but don't you like how their solution involves zero wealth redistribution and all about individual redemption?

this is why liberals breed fascists

Oh, it bothers me. Maybe we could have Antifa start protesting outside of corporate media headquarters until they address the problem instead of assaulting uneducated, hillbilly Trump voters.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Azathoth posted:

I follow politics and I am still having trouble understanding what people mean when they say "neoliberal",

You should read this book A Brief History of Neoliberalism: https://www.amazon.ca/Brief-History-Neoliberalism-David-Harvey/dp/0199283273

From the introduction:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Azathoth posted:

If they had replaced "Neoliberalism" with "Libertarianism", it would have ready pretty similar. That legit reads like some specific flavor of libertarianism. Is that book actually a good critical and/or dispassionate look at it, cause I'd be interested in that. If not for some specific life experiences, I could definitely have seen my young adult self buying into that poo poo whole hog. So uh...there but for the grace of God go I...

The book is great. It's brief (hence the title), and it provides horrifying evidence which details the systemic dismantling of regulations, welfare, and even the tax code (it was dropped to 28 from 70 overnight) over the last 40 years for the interests of banks and corporations. It also details how this global neoliberal economic order seeks to abolish states around the world that resist it; and how the American military is used to destroy/overthrow them if sanctions, coercion, and all other measures fail.

• Locked thread