Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week's Staff Pick:

Spring Breakers (2013)

Directed and Written by: Harmony Korine
Cinematography by: Benoit Debie
Soundtrack by: Skrillex
Starring: Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine, James Franco and Gucci Mane
Legally Required to Mention that Characters Were Inspired by: Riff Raff

Summary: "Four college girls hold up a restaurant in order to fund their spring break vacation. While partying, drinking, and taking drugs, they are arrested, only to be bailed out by a drug and arms dealer."

Spring Breakers is my favorite American film, period. I've seen this movie probably close to a dozen times since it first came out and everytime I revisit it I am fascinated by some new element of the film. People hated this movie, and People are wrong. Notable talent involved with the production includes the cinematographer, Benoit Debie, who is known more for his work with Gaspar Noe on films like Irreversible and Enter the Void. The latter in particular extends its influence all over Spring Breakers, with the floating, carefree camerawork that typifies the debauchery of hosed up college kids invading spaces they never intend to properly acknowledge. There is an energy contained in the images of Spring Breakers that is hard to find elsewhere, which is why I'm so drawn to it. Also the music is great because its really lovely and that's funny.

I chose it because Spring officially started yesterday and the following few weeks is primo SPRING BREAK time. You can rent it from like everything online that will charge you 3 dollars to watch a movie, stream it through Showtime if you have a sub to that already, or you could come over to my place since I've got the Blu Ray. You gotta bring the natty though Bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJUQWQHC0vg

---

From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im looking forward to when this movie has had a few years to stew in the critical space and theatres start screening it again because I've only ever seen it once in a theatre and it was amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't watched this yet because my friend wanted to watch with me so it'll have to wait till this weekend QQ. But I'll make a new thread for this week and come back to this in a few days with sick screenies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here it is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815106

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally got around to watching this again and it's still my favorite movie ever. Wasn't watching on my computer so I wasn't able to easily snag screenies but I'll probably scrub through it again this weekend and grab some stuff.

I think the reason I love this movie relatively irrationally is that shots have a compositional quality I associate with slower cinema, and then non stop music video editing overwhelms me in the first 5 minutes and just makes me struggle with the presentation for the rest of the film. I wish this movie was 4 hours long instead of 80 minutes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every time I try to fly, without my wings I feel so small...guess I need you baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's also probably the best movie about video games anybody will produce for, im going to guess, 25 years.

• Locked thread