Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

stev posted:

I like Glitter Freeze.

it definitely kicked rear end live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hughesta posted:

glitter freeze and white flag both suck. cool ideas on both songs but man they did not come out good

I love both of these songs

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I mean it has Mark E Smith, come on. The Fall kicks rear end

If you want to see some pre-Gorillaz melodica usage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddfiJDogywY

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I am so excited for this album. Even if the rest is all duds these 5 are solid gold, one and all

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
People don’t like white flag? Wtf

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Sex Murder Party is the actually-good version of Hollywood and the worst Gorillaz song is Stop the Dams

e: gently caress I forgot about We Got the Power. It might be tied with Stop the Dams.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
We Got the Power is bad because it's actually really drat good to the point that I want it to be a longer song but it's short so it gets me grumpy

embarrassment of riches

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
yeah WGTP is awesome imo, short and punchy and full of fun sounds and melodies

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That song is good to imo

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The only one of these I agree with is Glitter Freeze. It just doesn't feel like it goes anywhere for me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Some of the tracks on Humanz definitely feel like they could've benefited from the tuning the live performances gave them prior to the recording.
Some Gorillaz tracks are for listening and some are just for vibing the gently caress out
For instance, and it's not a fair comparison I know, but album "O Green World" is incredible, sure... but the live version is sublime to experience

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Silent running owns

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/hiphopgoldenage/status/1624891461647974406?s=46&t=v1GqziCh_QDV0DjMdzgW0A

gently caress :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That's sad :(

Also, Damon and the label are going to be loving kicking themselves that the new De La Soul feature track is only on the Japanese cd for cracker island. How do you disrespect De La Soul so much to relegate them to bonus track status?

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 13, 2023

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

That's sad :(

Also, Damon and the label are going to be loving kicking themselves that the new De La Soul feature track is only on the Japanese cd for cracker island. How do you disrespect De La Soul so much to relegate them to bonus track status?
I'm pretty sure this will be the song currently labeled "Bonus Track" on digital versions

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just confirmed: the iTunes bonus track is a piano version of Silent Running, which sounds great tbh, but means that Crocodillaz is a Japan exclusive 😔

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I should cancel my Amazon preorder and find some place to import. Preferably somewhere that also sells used CDs so the shipping is more cost effective. I’d much rather have a new song than the piano version of another song.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

IUG posted:

I guess I should cancel my Amazon preorder and find some place to import. Preferably somewhere that also sells used CDs so the shipping is more cost effective. I’d much rather have a new song than the piano version of another song.
The piano version is digital only, CD/LP is just the 10 tracks

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Why does Japan always get special hidden tracks? It's a "thing" across the industry.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Because they still buy CDs.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Crain posted:

Why does Japan always get special hidden tracks? It's a "thing" across the industry.

It's to encourage people in Japan to not import CDs because it's cheaper so they put exclusive tracks.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

album leaked and it kicks rear end

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hughesta posted:

album leaked and it kicks rear end

no one reads this forum let's have it big homie

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can hold out til Friday :shepface:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oil

Holy poo poo what a song

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tarantula, too, slaps

This album is the best poo poo to enter my ears in the last few years dudes

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
Hyped for this.

Check out the pitchfork review for lols, their complaint is that a gorillaz album is too much like a gorillaz album. Buncha crumb bums never give them much praise, but considering this scored .4 less than demon days is a good sign.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Oil

Holy poo poo what a song

Instant classic

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Might rank all the songs after a few more full listens, but at the moment I'm reeling that New Gold, which fuckin slaps, is probably going to be near the bottom of that ranking because everything else is just so immaculate and rich in texture and melody and emotion

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

3 new songs were played at a listening event today in Mexico, apparently coming on a deluxe release soon?

Crocadillaz ft De La Soul & Dawn Penn
Controllah ft MC Bin Laden
Captain Chicken ft Del Tha Funky Homosapien

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not even mad, I dropped 24 australian dollars for the basic CD today and I will drop more money if a version comes out with those songs, gimme gimme gimme

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

How does the album flow from start to finish, vs jumping to favorite songs?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

rydiafan posted:

How does the album flow from start to finish, vs jumping to favorite songs?

very nicely, and it's 37 minutes so no real fat to worry about

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Um?????

This album loving rules?!?!

Whew. Not a bad track. Oil, Tarantula, Tormenta, Skinny Ape, New Gold, aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hughesta posted:

3 new songs were played at a listening event today in Mexico, apparently coming on a deluxe release soon?

Crocadillaz ft De La Soul & Dawn Penn
Controllah ft MC Bin Laden
Captain Chicken ft Del Tha Funky Homosapien

I’d be loving pissed if they do this, but Amazon hasn’t delivered the disk yet (I get it today). Now I think I’ll keep it unopened, and see if I have to return it. Sucks for everyone else who buys it on release day, and then they ask you to fork over more cash after. Really scummy if it turns out to be true.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm definitely an "album guy" who's looking for more than just a collection of songs slapped together, and in that respect, compared to other Gorillaz albums, I think you could argue there's not as much variety here. Not as many stylistic changes, ebbing and flowing through different kinds of songs and energy. Fortunately, the songs here are so drat good that they can totally get away with it. I'm still not sure if this will be an album that I usually play all the way through or just include in playlists, but either way, I'll be including all of it.

I feel like somebody's compared it to The Now Now at one point and I get that, it feels a little Damon-heavy and singer-songwriter-y. But it's also like, way better.

Even the singles are hitting harder. I didn't realize before now that "Skinny Ape" is some kind of death scene? And "Silent Running" still blows me away, it's so drat beautiful, moved me to tears even at this point.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

de la soul and a loving DEL song are bonus tracks!? what the gently caress???

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

de la soul and a loving DEL song are bonus tracks!? what the gently caress???
Recorded after the album was finished

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This bad bunny song goes insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm definitely an "album guy" who's looking for more than just a collection of songs slapped together, and in that respect, compared to other Gorillaz albums, I think you could argue there's not as much variety here. Not as many stylistic changes, ebbing and flowing through different kinds of songs and energy. Fortunately, the songs here are so drat good that they can totally get away with it. I'm still not sure if this will be an album that I usually play all the way through or just include in playlists, but either way, I'll be including all of it.

I feel like somebody's compared it to The Now Now at one point and I get that, it feels a little Damon-heavy and singer-songwriter-y. But it's also like, way better.

Even the singles are hitting harder. I didn't realize before now that "Skinny Ape" is some kind of death scene? And "Silent Running" still blows me away, it's so drat beautiful, moved me to tears even at this point.

This is where I'm at, feels like it was a better Now Now with some interesting parts but besides New Gold which is such a loving awesome song, it really needed 1 or 2 other high energy numbers. Felt like it just maintains the same energy throughout otherwise, just kind of an OK album for me. Baby Queen feels like an anomaly of a midway song that sounds like it should have been a B-side?