Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Hell yes.

Wasn't able to get the colored vinyl from the Gorillaz store, but TurnTableLab got some in stock and I managed to snag one of those. Plus a rerelease of Gorillaz (2001).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like the new tracks well enough but once again front-loading the release with all the best ones has really dampened the release of the album.

I agree with "The Now Now but good" as the overall vibe.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

stev posted:

I like the new tracks well enough but once again front-loading the release with all the best ones has really dampened the release of the album.

I agree with "The Now Now but good" as the overall vibe.

Nah. The Bad Bunny and Stevie Knicks songs are probably the best, and those weren’t released early.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I liked The Now Now and I'm glad to have The Now Now 2.0

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Nanigans posted:

Nah. The Bad Bunny and Stevie Knicks songs are probably the best, and those weren’t released early.
Yep these two are among the best songs here and Tired Influencer is a really good grower.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

OK, where the gently caress can I actually buy the digital version? I've been trying for two hours now. Every site linked on the Gorillaz "get it" site only lets me stream (and I need a paid account if I don't want ads), Amazon only lets me buy the title track, and I'm getting really loving angry. I took the day off to listen to this album and I can't find a way to do it without watching the songs individually on Youtube and/or sitting through ads.

EDIT: The closest I can get is a link that says "download" instead of "listen" but that just leads to another streaming site. That site has a "also available for purchase" link that does literally nothing. I guess I have to make a two hour round trip to go buy a physical copy from the nearest Walmart or Best Buy. Joy of loving joys.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 24, 2023

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Can ya get a CD shipped to you and in the meantime do a free 7 day trial of one of the streaming services

Or :filez:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

rydiafan posted:

OK, where the gently caress can I actually buy the digital version? I've been trying for two hours now. Every site linked on the Gorillaz "get it" site only lets me stream (and I need a paid account if I don't want ads), Amazon only lets me buy the title track, and I'm getting really loving angry. I took the day off to listen to this album and I can't find a way to do it without watching the songs individually on Youtube and/or sitting through ads.

EDIT: The closest I can get is a link that says "download" instead of "listen" but that just leads to another streaming site. That site has a "also available for purchase" link that does literally nothing. I guess I have to make a two hour round trip to go buy a physical copy from the nearest Walmart or Best Buy. Joy of loving joys.

itunes?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That was the one that wasn't working. The link saying "download from iTunes" lead to the streaming Apple Music instead, which had an "also available for purchase from iTunes" link that didn't redirect anywhere. I tried installing the iTunes software on my computer, but after the 47th confirmation code I decided "gently caress it" so Barnes and Noble got my money instead. At least the drive home let me listen to the album twice.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm definitely an "album guy" who's looking for more than just a collection of songs slapped together, and in that respect, compared to other Gorillaz albums, I think you could argue there's not as much variety here. Not as many stylistic changes, ebbing and flowing through different kinds of songs and energy. Fortunately, the songs here are so drat good that they can totally get away with it. I'm still not sure if this will be an album that I usually play all the way through or just include in playlists, but either way, I'll be including all of it.

These are my exact thoughts at the moment. I feel like it's unfair to every album (not just Gorillaz albums) to compare the overarching flow to Demon Days, but god drat does that album tell a complete emotional story when listened from start to finish. This is 10 amazing songs, but that's different than being an amazing album, you know?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like I should clarify that I actually think it's an incredible set of songs and possibly my favorite they've ever done (time will tell). It's not very "album-y" but I have not yet decided how much that actually matters.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Well then I will clarify that that clarification also applies to me.

Also, I think Skinny Ape is currently my favorite song on the album.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
This album fuckin slaps

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

I think this album is very album-y, the songs all feel vonnected and ideas from early songs progress and develop and reach a conclusion by the end.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nobody cares about rankings but here's mine in a popular format people use these days

S: Oil, Silent Running
A+: Possession Island, Cracker Island, Skinny Ape
A: Tarantula, Baby Queen
B+: New Gold, Tormenta
B: The Tired Influencer

Nothing is lower than a B

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Deluxe edition is already on streaming, iTunes etc:

e: I can tell why the 3 originals weren't included on the main album, they don't fit the vibe at all, but they're super fun - the "hoo-hoo-hoo hah hah" in Controllah is so infectious

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 27, 2023

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

yeah these 3 songs are awesome but absolutely don't belong on the album proper

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's weird, despite having De La Soul and Del features, this feels like the least essential deluxe edition they've ever done.

- The 5 tracks total 16 minutes all together, and 9 of those minutes are the alt versions of album songs.

- The 3 originals are 7 minutes combined, and are pretty much just novelties or song sketches. They're pretty good though. Del rules as always. Controllah might be my favourite for the laughter hook

- The Silent Running piano version is alright, but it's a bit morose and has far too many "run, run, running"s, that it starts to wear.

- The New Gold remix is asssssss

Not quite the same as the Humanz or Song Machine bonus discs, which were both essential extensions to the album and featured some of the best songs of those phases - Out Of Body, Ticker Tape, Opium, MLS :h:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
It's a weird circle of fate that Del the Funky Homosapien arguably holds a lot of credit for kicking off Gorillaz initial rise with his part in Clint Eastwood, and his second (album) collab with the Gorillaz is just a minute fifty snippet on a bonus track.

Kinda wish they'd have brought him back to reprise that kind of presence or even the same "role" for a song and bring back Russel's possession schtick since they were doing occult themes with this album.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

And for that matter, has Damon ever done anything with/talked about Dan or Kid Koala since the original?
The relative silence feels like they had a falling out or something.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And for that matter, has Damon ever done anything with/talked about Dan or Kid Koala since the original?

Dan the Automator did some stuff in the 2010s like Deltron 2 (which was pretty bad) but looks like he's pivoted to scoring films now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dan the Automator did some stuff in the 2010s like Deltron 2 (which was pretty bad)

Ah really? I’ve had that one in my queue for a bit. Deltron 3030 is a classic.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Crain posted:

It's a weird circle of fate that Del the Funky Homosapien arguably holds a lot of credit for kicking off Gorillaz initial rise with his part in Clint Eastwood, and his second (album) collab with the Gorillaz is just a minute fifty snippet on a bonus track.

Kinda wish they'd have brought him back to reprise that kind of presence or even the same "role" for a song and bring back Russel's possession schtick since they were doing occult themes with this album.

dels second gorillaz collab is rock the house

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

dels second gorillaz collab is rock the house

Album.

Not song.

Crain posted:

...and his second (album)collab with the Gorillaz ...

see there?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Crain posted:

Album.

Not song.

see there?
ok

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

Damon shouted out Dan at the LA Gorillaz concert last year

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Crain posted:

From my recollection the reason he stopped being regularly involved after Self Titled is because he's got a phobia of flying so it made bringing him in very complicated once the band took off

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Back when I saw Deltron 3030 when they were touring for the second album their closer was Clint Eastwood so they evidently still look back on it fondly

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dangerous Person posted:

Back when I saw Deltron 3030 when they were touring for the second album their closer was Clint Eastwood so they evidently still look back on it fondly

Yeah I saw that tour as well and it was so loving sick when they did the Gorillaz tracks. So good

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Yeah, I lost my mind when Clint Eastwood started because I figured I would never hear it live with Del. Nowadays it's more common but that was a big thing back then

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 1, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well those bonus tracks certainly are bonus tracks. They mainly serve as vindication for the finished album -- they would've added sonic variety, but little else.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i mostly adore this album, but i am gonna insist that "It's a cracked screen world" is a terrible lyric, a terrible way to open a song, and that song is kinda terrible. It also will not leave my head, so my distaste for it is growing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't dislike Tired Influencer song, but it is my least favorite on the album.

Tarantula isn't my favorite song on the album, but it is the one that's stuck in my head 24 hours a day.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

Automator is rumored to be difficult to work with. But Damon also expressed a desire to explore different sounds way back around the Demon Dayz era. I always took the relationship to be sort of a "I respect you but don't want to work with you anymore" type deal. In my opinion, this especially sucks because my enjoyment of Gorillaz peaked with the self titled album and has taken a gradual nosedive since.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I was once at a party and a stoned gentleman thought the voice at the start of that gorillaz song going "hello! Is anybody there? Hellooo!" was a small person in his cup. Anyway, does anybody know the Gorillaz song that best fits the description "1990s IDM"?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

I was once at a party and a stoned gentleman thought the voice at the start of that gorillaz song going "hello! Is anybody there? Hellooo!" was a small person in his cup. Anyway, does anybody know the Gorillaz song that best fits the description "1990s IDM"?

thats the beginning to M1A1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWvPWQCWbsU

its not IDM though. I would say that's something more like Sound Check (Gravity) or something.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Gorillaz live at Coachella streaming on youtube. There will def be torrents later...
Edit: the Coachella crowd is loving TERRIBLE.

ccubed fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 15, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
crowd aside (I've heard far worse, especially on the second from headliner spot on festivals), that set loving ruled and I highly recommend y'all watch it

the run of dance tracks in the first half really does so much to remind me of the good things about Humanz/Now Now, really cool set list

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
It's the first hour or so of this video. The end of the show is banger, Del is there and the whole crew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-3L7Uw5yEs

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

weekend 2 stream has some different songs and guests: hell of a version of o green world, bad bunny came out for his song, song machine bonus track i completely forgot about with moonchild sanelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

SWEEPSTAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!