Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

cheese eats mouse posted:

Goddamn so the only way to get the extra tracks on vinyl was to buy the $350 version? Which is now sold out and will probably be way to expensive to buy second hand. :(

They'll probably be released later. But also leaked like all hell.

I went and bought the $80 deluxe vinyl for the art book, but on amazon this morning. Not like I could have gotten my rear end to london in time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Junior Jr. posted:

The live show gig is supposed to be online right now, where is it?

Are you sure there's an official source? I didn't see any "live streaming" mentioned.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Got an email from Amazon about the vinyl set I ordered. "Delayed until December, 31 2018".

Hopefully that's just a placeholder...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

UGH. I want to listen to more but I also want to wait and listen to the whole thing when it get's released.

Also the vinyl I ordered had the shipping date changed to the 28th, so yeah December of next year was a place holder.

Now I just need to replace my broken turntable...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Well I got lawn seats for the merriweather show.

Not gonna be great but this is probably my only chance to see them live period.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

I doubt this is the last tour, but Damon might be 60 next time.

Not in the sense of "last tour ever", this is just the best situation I've been in to make it to a show. Not commonly close to where I live and I don't have enough money for flying overseas for a concert.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

if this is really so triggering for you then lol

Oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So it turns out I have like 3 copies of the album now.

The vinyl, the digital copy that comes with the vinyl, and a digital copy for the concert tickets I bought.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So my Deluxe Vinyl with Art Book order on Amazon got canceled on me. For some reason.

I'm sad now.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I like enjoying things and this is one of them.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

The Deluxe tracks really change the tone of the album. Having listened too it all the way though now: still love it, but I think a bunch of the tracks should be in a different order.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Yeah, they do. How would you reorder it?

Still thinking about it. But getting to New World and The Apprentice after We Got The Power is a pretty massive shift in tone. I feel like those belong after Elevator Going Up.

I'd also probably just recut Sex Murder Party into it's own interlude or two.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mt. Modular posted:

If I recall correctly, "Hong Kong" was just a Damon track recorded specifically for a charity comp- maybe not at the same time the rest of DD was recorded. One of the best Gorillaz tracks though, period.

Also, nothing else goes after "...Monkey's Head." The last three tracks on DD flow together so perfectly to close that album out.

Yeah the ending of DD is one of, if not the most, my favorite endings to an album.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I am fully aware that I'm posting this in a Gorillaz release thread but...

This is a really weird album and sounds & feels like a noticeable departure and I'm only on my 2nd listen and I don't 'get it' yet but some of it is catchy.

I feel ya on the weirdness, there is a lot of whiplash between hopeful and upbeat songs and pretty dark music and metaphors.

Honestly it feels like there's either two albums mixed together here, each going different ways, or there's like a Tarantino-esque non-linear flow to it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

I mean, one of the central premises of the album is supposedly about how people react to some massive event that turns the world upside down, so it makes sense that it's going to have some massive tonal shifts.

Oh yeah, I know. It's still great. But that whole "cataclysmic event" thing is where I get the idea of there being two competing narratives. One side of the album has humanity suffering through it and emerging victorious (We Got The Power) or humanity getting hosed and just descending into chaos and destroying itself (Ticker Tape).

Those two feel like ending songs both. So while the bonus tracks don't necessarily follow directly in their position on the second disk, I think they do fit in the overall narrative of the album.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

I enjoyed that but drat I wish they'd come out with a video as good or visually cool as El Mañana or On Melancholy Hill one of these days. So far Hallelujah Money is by far the best from Humanz and that's just Benjamin Clementine looking terrifying for 5 minutes.

I think Andromeda is ripe for a really good video but I'm guessing having technically 'released' it already means its unlikely.

Simply put: The economics of producing music videos imploded. It's just not a thing outside of super budget conscious projects (Ok Go's Here it Goes Again, Wheezer's Pork and Beans, etc) or heavily branded product placement videos which have themselves collapsed.

They already ran out of money for the story and videos in Plastic Beach, and since then the amount of money studios might be willing to put into music videos has gone down even more. So starting out they probably just have so much less to work with. The video for Saturnz Barz is the most "fleshed out" one yet, and even that had some heavy, heavy cost saving animation tricks. So the probably front loaded it to make the release material as good as they could, and now have to meter out what's left with these really low grade 3d models.

It is sad because the previous phase's videos were great and the art style seemed a lot tighter too.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

C. E. Croix posted:

New songs are cool. Murdoc's new look, not so much.

Powerpuff Girls lookin motherfucker.

Jamie really just cribbed from PPG.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I made a thing and I wanna post it so here.

https://streamable.com/9fwxb

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so uh what the gently caress is Ace doing here

like, I get that Hewlett and McCracken are friends but this is a little more substantial than "the Gorillaz cameo'd in a newspaper clipping and a Foster's character dressed up as Tank Girl"

:shrug:

It's extra weird in that Cartoon Network is currently airing a new PPG series where the character appears, which I would have thought would cause copyright issues.

Maybe McCracken has primary control of the characters somehow and has decided he wants to play around with his IPs like this.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Well drat, nevermind then.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Why does Russel trip 2D? And what’s up with 2D’s eyes at the end?

Theory: 2D is way too happy that Murdoc is locked up in jail and not tormenting him anymore, and hasn't been working at all. Russel knocked some sense into him to get everyone back in the studio.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So far just that 20 second ditty. Not sure what it's supposed to be but the spotify channel says to follow for the next episodes (?). I guess a slow release album?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

On subsequent listens I don't mind 6lack's verses as much. They have a decent flow to them that works within their own segments.

But goddamn do I feel bad for the guy. Dude's 28, got a chance to collab with the Gorillaz, which would be a career boost for most singers and songwriters if not a life goal for some, and who is he paired up against? Elton loving John. A dude who has been in the industry and at the top of his game for almost twice as long as you've been alive.

Alternatively: Dude got to loving collab with Elton John so wins all around.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I think it was more they wanted to immortalize him in Jaime’s style. I love that Elton cartoon.

Cartoon Elton looks more like Elton John than Elton John does.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ticketmaster says "presale" is Thursday. Does that mean I need special access or is that effectively "on sale"?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03T47hapAc

New Video just dropped, and the start of the next phase.

Of course Murdock tries to make a cult.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Such a good loving track
Albarn has been revitalized by Song Machine, I think

Not to say Humanz or The Now Now were bad (I loved them both immensely) but this is a real earworm

Humanz and Now Now had good individual songs, but I never got much of a through line from them. Kinda just felt like mix tape albums, especially with the Now Now. But they've been going for such a long time that they needed that.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Plastic Beach is better.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Also regarding album rankings I'd say there's no such thing as a bad Gorillaz album but I do think Humanz feels the least like a proper one due to the heavily reduced presence of 2D's singing on many of the album's tracks compared to pretty much every other album

I'll agree with this, I was off with saying "no through line" at all. There's a thematic and certainly a lore/story through line, but the songs themselves jump around a lot more than other albums. Ascention vs. Carnival vs. Hallelujah Money, there's a lot of variety there. Then there's Sex Murder Party...

I had forgotten a lot about this Album and had also forgotten about it's structure. It's a pretty heavy concept album and I have forgotten that the wild swings in tone and genre and energy between songs was framed with different internal phases as the crew moved through the world of Humanz.

Also totally forgot that they just straight up took a Steve Martin Bit and put it in as a track...

Still, as much as it is a lot better than I remember, I still don't like it more than Plastic Beach and Song Machine (and Everyday Robots which I count as an unofficial Gorillaz AU album where 2D had escaped Murdock or never met him).

Crain fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 28, 2022

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

stev posted:

So are they going to drip feed the album over the next six months or have the dropped the song machine thing?

New song's great either way - which is a relief since I'm not really feeling the title track. None of the future collabs jump out as exciting but I'm keen to see what's what.

Most Likely.

Their new website has a Cracker Island TV where I assume the 10 songs will fill in the channels since right now clicking through them just gives you the CI music video.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJAQTAee4mw

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Why does Japan always get special hidden tracks? It's a "thing" across the industry.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Hell yes.

Wasn't able to get the colored vinyl from the Gorillaz store, but TurnTableLab got some in stock and I managed to snag one of those. Plus a rerelease of Gorillaz (2001).

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

It's a weird circle of fate that Del the Funky Homosapien arguably holds a lot of credit for kicking off Gorillaz initial rise with his part in Clint Eastwood, and his second (album) collab with the Gorillaz is just a minute fifty snippet on a bonus track.

Kinda wish they'd have brought him back to reprise that kind of presence or even the same "role" for a song and bring back Russel's possession schtick since they were doing occult themes with this album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

dels second gorillaz collab is rock the house

Album.

Not song.

Crain posted:

...and his second (album)collab with the Gorillaz ...

see there?