Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
God I forgot DoYaThing because I only flicked through the main alb--

OH gently caress I forgot Hong Kong, that's like my 2nd favourite of all time by them :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

scary ghost dog posted:

1. she’s my collar

So underrated and gets better every time I hear it, just like Charger

Humanz has some fuckin amazing songs

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh read the story about how Charger was conceived and recorded, it's kinda cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charger_(song)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

scary ghost dog posted:

wanna hear those other versions real bad

If you haven't heard the Super Deluxe version of Humanz yet, give it a try.

Not all the tracks are winners but there are some really interesting alternate versions, like a completely different version of Andromeda with many more lyrics from D.R.A.M., and Carnival extended as a full 4 minute song rather than a 2 minute sketch, including a 2D verse that really should have been on the album.

And Garage Palace is a full original song that had its own video, that should have been at least on the regular Deluxe if not the main album.

I have all the songs saved along with Sleeping Powder as a "H-Sides" playlist.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The REAL Goobusters posted:

4. The fall - n/a. I don’t listen to this at all

Give Revolving Doors a listen now. It slaps

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If a mod reads this could the thread title be changed to Gorillaz - new album probably in 2022, single out now

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Okua posted:

I've known vaguely about Gorillaz before, but only since the Cracker Island video came out have I gone back and listened to more than the popular singles. I don't really like the rap-focused tracks, but I really love the vibe of The Now Now. It's the first album in a long time that I've enjoyed listening to all the way through, several times over the last few days. Usually I rely on Spotify for my music and listen to a bunch of playlists and individual songs without focusing much on who the artists are. In general I don't know a lot about music genres and influences. I want to, though! What are some artists or albums that you would recommend me if I want find more music like this album?

Maybe Graham Coxon's solo stuff? He was the lead guitarist and secondary lead singer in Blur, the other huge band that Gorillaz' Damon Albarn was in

Ohhh and Damon Albarn's solo albums too of course, if you really like the 2D only songs in Gorillaz' catalogue. Plus his other side projects like The Good The Bad and The Queen.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 13, 2022

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a "studio" version someone made on youtube, it's grown on me a lot. They had to process the live vocals a lot and it sounds weird but they did a great job with the instrumentation. It adds percussion-y synths and a theramin. So strange but it really works - so much so that even when the real version is out I'll probably still occasionally listen to this one as an alternative mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQnpgfB9NI

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Knew it would be one of my favourite Gorillaz songs ever when I heard the live bootleg last year. The studio version is fantastic, although I'm sad it's missing the call and response at the end where both Damon and Adeleye are singing back and forth in the live version

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
For me Humanz is a perfect album up until Interlude: Talk Radio.

Then there's a run of disappointing tracks.

- Carnival is a let down simply because it's truncated (seriously, listen to the full version with more 2D lyrics, it's far better and should have been on the album)

- Let Me Out has a good hook but at this point that honking sound effect Albarn overuses becomes grating. Wish he had just let the political lyrics stand.

- Sex Murder Party is still my least favourite, I'm very slowly coming around on it but I'm still only like a 6 on it, I started out as a 2. It's such a weird song, weird vibe. Hate the lyrics.

Thankfully She's My Collar and Hallelujah Money salvage the end of the album. Collar in particular is an album highlight. And the bonus disc is brilliant.

It's no Plastic Beach but I still really do like Humanz.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That's sad :(

Also, Damon and the label are going to be loving kicking themselves that the new De La Soul feature track is only on the Japanese cd for cracker island. How do you disrespect De La Soul so much to relegate them to bonus track status?

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 13, 2023

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just confirmed: the iTunes bonus track is a piano version of Silent Running, which sounds great tbh, but means that Crocodillaz is a Japan exclusive 😔

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can hold out til Friday :shepface:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oil

Holy poo poo what a song

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Tarantula, too, slaps

This album is the best poo poo to enter my ears in the last few years dudes

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Might rank all the songs after a few more full listens, but at the moment I'm reeling that New Gold, which fuckin slaps, is probably going to be near the bottom of that ranking because everything else is just so immaculate and rich in texture and melody and emotion

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not even mad, I dropped 24 australian dollars for the basic CD today and I will drop more money if a version comes out with those songs, gimme gimme gimme

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Can ya get a CD shipped to you and in the meantime do a free 7 day trial of one of the streaming services

Or :filez:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Nobody cares about rankings but here's mine in a popular format people use these days

S: Oil, Silent Running
A+: Possession Island, Cracker Island, Skinny Ape
A: Tarantula, Baby Queen
B+: New Gold, Tormenta
B: The Tired Influencer

Nothing is lower than a B

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Deluxe edition is already on streaming, iTunes etc:

e: I can tell why the 3 originals weren't included on the main album, they don't fit the vibe at all, but they're super fun - the "hoo-hoo-hoo hah hah" in Controllah is so infectious

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 27, 2023

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's weird, despite having De La Soul and Del features, this feels like the least essential deluxe edition they've ever done.

- The 5 tracks total 16 minutes all together, and 9 of those minutes are the alt versions of album songs.

- The 3 originals are 7 minutes combined, and are pretty much just novelties or song sketches. They're pretty good though. Del rules as always. Controllah might be my favourite for the laughter hook

- The Silent Running piano version is alright, but it's a bit morose and has far too many "run, run, running"s, that it starts to wear.

- The New Gold remix is asssssss

Not quite the same as the Humanz or Song Machine bonus discs, which were both essential extensions to the album and featured some of the best songs of those phases - Out Of Body, Ticker Tape, Opium, MLS :h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Kids With Guns has Neneh Cherry as a guest but she's so far back in the mix that it might as well be a Damon solo song

El Manana is also a solo one

Do choirs or backup singers break the Damon only rule? If not then there's also EPWRID and Demon Days

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 24, 2023