Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Any other goons at the Chicago show? In line waiting for sound check and had to vent my excitement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Agreed. Song-wise this album is flawless so far, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how the songs are ordered in the finished product. The flow of an album as a whole, as opposed to just being a collection of songs, is a mostly lost art, and it's one of the things that takes Demon Days really over the top.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

hughesta posted:

I think Humanz is both their best album and also easily their most focused since Demon Days.

I find this interesting because Humanz is by far my least favorite of the studio albums, and might be the only one that I'm tempted to say I overall don't like. I guess the musical output of Gorillaz is so varied that it's a big gamble on taste what each listener will enjoy.

Anyway, here's this:

https://youtu.be/_0Pf48RqSsg

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

How does the album flow from start to finish, vs jumping to favorite songs?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

OK, where the gently caress can I actually buy the digital version? I've been trying for two hours now. Every site linked on the Gorillaz "get it" site only lets me stream (and I need a paid account if I don't want ads), Amazon only lets me buy the title track, and I'm getting really loving angry. I took the day off to listen to this album and I can't find a way to do it without watching the songs individually on Youtube and/or sitting through ads.

EDIT: The closest I can get is a link that says "download" instead of "listen" but that just leads to another streaming site. That site has a "also available for purchase" link that does literally nothing. I guess I have to make a two hour round trip to go buy a physical copy from the nearest Walmart or Best Buy. Joy of loving joys.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 24, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That was the one that wasn't working. The link saying "download from iTunes" lead to the streaming Apple Music instead, which had an "also available for purchase from iTunes" link that didn't redirect anywhere. I tried installing the iTunes software on my computer, but after the 47th confirmation code I decided "gently caress it" so Barnes and Noble got my money instead. At least the drive home let me listen to the album twice.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm definitely an "album guy" who's looking for more than just a collection of songs slapped together, and in that respect, compared to other Gorillaz albums, I think you could argue there's not as much variety here. Not as many stylistic changes, ebbing and flowing through different kinds of songs and energy. Fortunately, the songs here are so drat good that they can totally get away with it. I'm still not sure if this will be an album that I usually play all the way through or just include in playlists, but either way, I'll be including all of it.

These are my exact thoughts at the moment. I feel like it's unfair to every album (not just Gorillaz albums) to compare the overarching flow to Demon Days, but god drat does that album tell a complete emotional story when listened from start to finish. This is 10 amazing songs, but that's different than being an amazing album, you know?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Well then I will clarify that that clarification also applies to me.

Also, I think Skinny Ape is currently my favorite song on the album.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't dislike Tired Influencer song, but it is my least favorite on the album.

Tarantula isn't my favorite song on the album, but it is the one that's stuck in my head 24 hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Gorillaz loving owns

:hmmyes: