Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The last time I was so excited for an album was probably QOTSA's Like Clockwork. Gorillaz albums are always a big treat when they come back and the songs on this one already sound completely insane and unlike anything on the previous two. I will say though that Busted And Blue feels like it could have been on Demon Days and Andromeda on Plastic Beach. Just the clips from the 4 or 5 new ones seem like the last two albums were put in a blender with some unknown substance.

Someone had their poo poo on Youtube DMC'd with the copyright saying "Robotz" so maybe that's the new album name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hallejujah Money did absolutely nothing for me but the 4 snippets of the other songs I heard were extremely cool.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

there will never be another Demon Days :negative:

so just listen to Demon Days on repeat, jesus. why on earth would you want the same album ad infinitum

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AAB posted:

we got the power is gonna be more like 5 or 6 minutes long based on the live version. It gets jazzier with a big d&b section

I hope so, it's way too cool to just be some 2 minute thing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Kind of sounds like his end goal is to have shows pre-recorded and performed by holograms without his or anyone else's involvement.

e: And what's all this 'no one else has done it' poo poo? Japan had that poo poo locked down a decade ago.

yeah but hatsune miku is trash

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Is there really a secret cartoon story that people geek out over? That makes me like the band so much less.

if this is really so triggering for you then lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

zandert33 posted:

I'm sure I'll get some hate here, but in my opinion The Gorillaz first album is really the only "pure" Gorillaz experience. You had this sort of "super-group" on their first with Damon, Miho and Del with the production from Dan the Automator and plus you had Kid Koala involved, it was a match made in heaven. I enjoyed Demon Days and some of Plastic Beach, but it feels each album drifts further and further away from what made the Gorillaz a good and interesting idea. This latest album is so far gone from what I want a Gorillaz album to be it might as well just be something completely different (maybe I would like it better if it WEREN'T Gorillaz).

I'll fully concede that a part of this problem may just be that my thoughts on what the Gorillaz should be doesn't match what Damon and Jamie's idea of what the Gorillaz are, I'm not sure there's much I can do to change my opinion on it.

idk if I'd say it's the only "pure" experience but the s/t album and Demon Dayz seem worlds away from Plastic Beach and now Humanz, though I think it's more because there's an insane deluge of guest artists on every song, it's actually a little overwhelming. We're never really going to get something like Double Bass or Kids With Guns again but from what I'e heard, poo poo like Charger or We Got The Power has pieces of that old dark edge or spritely sound to them. The first album was definitely more stripped down and simple because it's mainly Del as the outside help. Now there's so many goddamn people involved I can't even remember who's who.

I'll save further thoughts for when I actually have the whole thing in my hands but this was def people's feelings when it went from Demon Dayz, a very low-fi and shady post-9/11 album to the environmental/waning love set to weirdo electronics of Plastic Beach. I do hope there's a few crunchier numbers on Humanz since I legit missed punchy stuff like 5/4 on Plastic Beach. I really wish we could have had the Leviathan song with The Horrors on Plastic Beach or at least a b-side of it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Far too much Albarn on the new track, he needs to step away from the mic and let the collaborators sing more imo.

I can't tell if you're serious or not since I don't want to spoil myself on any more tracks. If anything the amount of collabs on this album is almost suffocating

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crain posted:

The Deluxe tracks really change the tone of the album. Having listened too it all the way though now: still love it, but I think a bunch of the tracks should be in a different order.

the last time I felt that way was after I heard D-Sides and wondered why on earth stuff like Happy Landfill and Hong Kong were left off. The former would have been a way better opening and the latter would have fit in nicely right before or after the Dennis Hopper schpiel.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I thought the high points were Strobelite, Momentz, Submission (I did not like that guy coming in and loving jabbering though), Charger, Andromeda, Busted and Blue. Basically everything from Strobelite to Busted and Blue is great, then the next 3 tracks are just forgettable. I loved She's My Collar, though. I still think We Got The Power should be longer .

I loving hate Ascension and think that poo poo should have been axed and replaced with The Apprentice, or at least been moved out of the intro slot for Apprentice.

Overall it's a really weird album and needs time to grow on me but there feels like there's more songs I'd skip on this one than on Plastic Beach.

Out of Body sounds like if CSS actually had talent and a decent producer, lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

You guys are weird. The first time I heard Momentz I immediately thought it was genius. And I'm generally more into the introspective Gorillaz songs like El Maņana and Empire Ants.

It's catchy and quirky and a real banger.

Momentz is to this album as Frankie Sinatra is to the second Avalanches album.

funny, in my notes when I listened I had written down "Superfast Jellyish on opiates" for Momentz. It's a real weird track but I dig it and De La Soul makes it work.

on second listen I really think my dislike of Ascension + the 3-track snooze of Carnival/Let Me Out/Sex Murder Party are what dampens a full runthrough for me. I wish they could have thrown Leviathan on here if only to break up a few tracks that sounded the same without much going on.

Ultimately the number of songs I really like equal about the same number as Plastic Beach for me, I think--though I thought PB sounded more together as a whole, the last 2 drawling tracks aside.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

horse mans posted:

Okay, after a few listens, my standouts are:

Saturnz Barz
Carnival
She's My Collar
Out of Body
Hallelujah Money

The rest are eh. I can't believe how clearly Grace Jones phoned in Charger.

I much prefer tracks where 2D shares the time equally with some featured artist, the contrast is what drew me to the band in the first place, a la Clint Eastwood.

I've read that Jones did like hours of ranting and they only used like 2% of what she did so if anything I don't think she phoned anything in. I do wish she had more lines though. Same thing happened with Mark E. Smith on Glitter Freeze--he had a LOT more and there's an alt version somewhere with it but man, how do you use so little from two incredibly strange singers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd recommend Laika Come Home 10/10 times over The Fall. I love the Mutant Genius mix they did on that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think in terms of all-time faves in the discography, Strobelite/Charger/She's My Collar are way up there for me, I can't stop listening to those 3. loving brilliant songs and now I have to really find out what else this peven everett guy has done because drat, the whole song and his voice were a perfect crystalline crush of 80's music

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Deltron 3030 posted:

Oh man, anybody else catch the Chicago show last night?

First time seeing them live despite being a fan for 12 years... Worth the wait, hot drat! Tons of featured guests including Del (!) for Clint Eastwood.

Strobelite was a surprising high point because Pevin Everett was loving killing it on vocals and the crowd was eating it up (he also crushed it coming back for Stylo). Sex Murder Party was also great live, but I don't hate the album cut as some seem to so I guess that helps.

oh poo poo, did Everett do the Womack parts???

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd really like a bsides album, particularly so we get cut stuff like the "Leviathan" song they did with The Horrors for Plastic Beach

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Rumours and interviews have suggested Damon is recording a sequel to Humanz that will be considered part of phase 4 still. Apparently he's already recorded a new song called Hollywood that has Snoop Dogg on it.

I'm stoked :) We are blessed that Damon Albarn is back into a really productive mode again.

I hope by "sequel" that actually means "nothing like Humanz" or at least "way less guest artists." It was cool that Plastic Beach had a really solid cast of half of The Clash plus kept things tight with appearances: two songs with Little Dragon, two with Mos Def, two with Womack. Humanz still feels like a bizarre mixtape of like two dozen goddamn people with no quality control. Some really good songs on there but also a large number I skip over all the time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the snatches of audio from those 2 that I found seem very funky. Whereas Ode to Idaho gives off a very twangy Demon Days feel. I have faith the new album will have more Damon on it than the last one because Humanz felt like just a big messy mixtape with no real quality control.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I think the first half of Humanz is tight and excellent. It just loses coherence around Carnival and the second half is less consistent in terms of song quality. She's My Collar is the standout of the second half by far.

It's also messy because some of the best songs were saved for the bonus disc.

yeah same, the first half is mainly good and then the quality control spirals and putters out. Songs like She's My Collar/Strobelite/Charger are excellent and I also liked Apprentice and Submission but that stretch of Sex Murder Part/Let Me Out/Carnival was the definition of filler, as were the worthless intermissions. This isn't Songs for the Deaf, I don't need this poo poo on my tracklist.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

doublepost maybe but Humility single is coming out tomorrow and album was confirmed for June 29th.

Been listening to some rumored tidbits of unfinished stuff called Tranzformer/Duetz/Long Beach that sound like demos from Plastic Beach in the weird vaporwave funk sounds they have so if the album is anything like Plastic Beach mixed in with the twangy D-Days stuff they've done live then this album is gonna be really cool. What I'd really want is to hear that old Leviathan track with The Horrors that got cut from Plastic Beach, though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy poo poo these are both so funky and chill. This feels like a mashup of the catchy poo poo from the s/t album and Plastic Beach, total course correction. I love both.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How is this band live?

last I saw them was in....2011? For the Plastic Beach tour at MSG. They are fantastic live. Mos Def/Lou Reed/Womack/Little Dragon/ Miho Hattori were all there. No idea who will be showing up for the next tour but I'm guessing Little Dragon will be around for some of them since they are openers for half the new dates (Not NYC though :( )

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bleh thought the tickets were onsale general today but it's only the $300 VIP poo poo for AmExpress holders

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was convinced "souk eye" was a typo considering the K is right next to L on a keyboard but I guess not? what is a "souk?"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

probably is the first album since Like Clockwork I've loved from start to finish. Funky and groovy in the beginning and then ends on a beautiful note with the final songs. Short but sweet album, really loved Tranz/Idaho/Souk Eye/Zurich Lake.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I will echo the sentiment that Doncamatic is loving fire and if it had properly been on the tracklist for Plastic Beach it would have made an already great album even more incredible. Seriously for a one-off single idk how it's so good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Glad I got to see these guys at Barclays over the weekend---apparently they're going on hiatus for a while or something after this though that's no big surprise, this is just the 2nd time since 2011 I've seen them. Peven Everett pulled double duty as the Bobby Womack parts in Stylo and loving killed. Band also played a loving nasty version of Every Planet We Reach Is Dead that I wish was on a CD.

Only bummer in the show was Clint Eastwood; they had De La Soul, Mos Def, and Bootie Brown all in attendance but deferred to a Del recording by default, even when historically there are like 2 alternate versions of the song they can do without him.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TheIndividual posted:

Just wanted to post and say ya'll should be listening to the new The Good, the Bad and the Queen album that just came out today. I'm on two listens now, and it feels like the best thing Albarn's made in well over a decade. The first album that I've heard that has felt mid-WW3.

late to this party but having just listened to it you're 100% on the money, excellent album that has a "middle of a tired war" feel and going through the whole thing with all the videos done for it gave it so much personality, just a beautiful album.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

new song gives me "old Gorillaz" vibes i.e. Plastic Beach and Phase 1 stuff, can't fuckin wait for this. Glad I got tix to their show in NY in 2 months since I'm sure they'll put some of the new stuff there.

stev posted:

New song's great either way - which is a relief since I'm not really feeling the title track. None of the future collabs jump out as exciting but I'm keen to see what's what.

Same, title track is just ok to me but the Stevie Nicks/Bad Bunny/Beck songs intrigue me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm cautiously optimistic after Humanz was a spaghetti plate of an album with some bangerz and largely unfocused stuff, Now Now was pretty weak, and Song Machine just felt kind of taped together. I really like Skinny Ape's breakdown in the middle, Silent Running sounds really nice, and New Gold is just really loving groovy. The album actually feels like it has a concise sound which I couldn't really say about Song Machine or most parts from Humanz.

I haven't thought they were at a peak level since Plastic Beach so I'm hoping the last 6 tracks (including the bonus track off the album which is De La Soul---why the gently caress is this not a regular track) measure up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

de la soul and a loving DEL song are bonus tracks!? what the gently caress???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm definitely an "album guy" who's looking for more than just a collection of songs slapped together, and in that respect, compared to other Gorillaz albums, I think you could argue there's not as much variety here. Not as many stylistic changes, ebbing and flowing through different kinds of songs and energy. Fortunately, the songs here are so drat good that they can totally get away with it. I'm still not sure if this will be an album that I usually play all the way through or just include in playlists, but either way, I'll be including all of it.

I feel like somebody's compared it to The Now Now at one point and I get that, it feels a little Damon-heavy and singer-songwriter-y. But it's also like, way better.

Even the singles are hitting harder. I didn't realize before now that "Skinny Ape" is some kind of death scene? And "Silent Running" still blows me away, it's so drat beautiful, moved me to tears even at this point.

This is where I'm at, feels like it was a better Now Now with some interesting parts but besides New Gold which is such a loving awesome song, it really needed 1 or 2 other high energy numbers. Felt like it just maintains the same energy throughout otherwise, just kind of an OK album for me. Baby Queen feels like an anomaly of a midway song that sounds like it should have been a B-side?