Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: BBC Radio 1 just announced they'll debut the new single (with Damon there to introduce it) at 7:30 pm tomorrow (UK time)!

That's 6:30am for Syd/Mel, 12:30pm for US west coast and 3:30pm for US east coast

Edit: tweet confirmation:

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcr1/status/844651173034516480

:getin:

So hyped for this.

So, who else is going to the Demon Dayz festival?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like all of them. :colbert:

Steve2911 posted:

So after watching the Saturnz Barz video I guess the budget they had this time was around 1/10th that of the last two phases.

e: Is the website still just the Melancholy Hill video for everyone else? The link says pre-order and stream, drat it.
Or they're stretching out the budget more for extra videos. Don't want to run out of money and leave a major video unfinished like what happened for Rhinestone Eyes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, I mean, I preordered the Album on iTunes and it's already let me download those in advance already.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 24, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dugong posted:

Anyone going to Demon Dayz, the coach tickets and redemption codes have just been released.

Redemption Codes?

Also, holy gently caress, the resellers are going all-out with the gouging. I got my tickets on the day, and I bought two (including two park-and-ride) comes out to roughly a single ticket in some places.

Actually what is the Park-and-Ride supposed to be for? Is it per car? Because if so I have one going spare. I kind of thought it was for per person. I kind of panicked in the rush of shopping.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Junior Jr. posted:

Here's Ascension live from the secret London gig a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mdgz8rkxY

This interview is pretty interesting, mainly because the original intent was always for Gorillaz to be its own band since phase one, instead of Damon always having to be on stage. Also Damon talking about making music on the iPad could explain why The Fall sounded naff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcoLgF0Djw

The Fall was never actually meant to be sold as a regular album, I seem to remember it was originally given out free to members of the Gorillaz fan club until EMI forced them to monetise it. It gets judged rather hrshly because people assume it was a full-blown album and not Damon2D dicking around on an iPad. I think its a good album anyway, it just gets a bad rap.

Like, The Fall is better than a lot of actual studio albums, imo. Just not Gorillaz' own studio albums.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nail Rat posted:

If he really wanted us to care that much there wouldn't be giant plot holes in the "lore." It's a fun aesthetic but come on it's pretty bad. Case in point from the Gorillaz wiki:

I haven't/won't bother track down all the little bits of lore but I'm pretty sure there's literally nothing that actually clarifies any of that between then and the start of the On Melancholy Hill video. That's a bad story yo, it's like the short stories of a 12 year old.
I believe they were going to address it later in Phase 3 (ie right after Rhinestone Eyes when she rejoined the band), but the studio pulled the plug. Plastic Beach was apparently meant to be the first in a trilogy of albums.

Everything pretty much hung together before that point.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, having listened to the full album, I think it definitely lived up to Gorillaz' high standards.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Finally got my Demon Dayz tickets! :toot:

Looking forward to seeing the new songs live.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Serf posted:

I've never listened to Gorillaz before (excepting Feel Good Inc from way back when I was in high school because that song was everywhere), but some folks recommended this album and I picked it up. It rules. Strobelite or Ascension is probably my favorite (Vince Staples :swoon: ). Charger and Momentz are also really good, as is We've Got the Power and The Apprentice. I'm getting backed up on podcasts thanks to this album.

One of us! One of us!

Also go back and pick up Demon Days, you owe it to yourself. Also Plastic Beach. The Fall is...an acquired taste, but still good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Steve2911 posted:

How can you recommend The Fall and not even mention self titled?

I...uh, forgot.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like all of the concern trolls who all of a sudden realised that Gorillaz is...gasp...political! Like, did they not listen to Dirty Harry (or the rest of Demon Days)? Or did they turn it off once they heard rap?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regalingualius posted:

...So apparently the band used Pewdiepie to promote the album?

You'd think a google search would have brought up that whole controversy and they'd have stayed away. Apparently he didn't even like the album!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Steve2911 posted:

It's honestly better than some of the album. Needs a proper release.
The Fall, part 2?

Also weather for Demon Dayz is looking good. Looking forward to it!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dugong posted:

My group was in the very middle roughly equal distance between the stage and the mixdesk. I had done near front at Printworks and my friends were suffering from sunburn so we didn't get to the main stage until midway through Kano and didn't want to push forwards. The women stopped moving forwards just after us. Very weird.

If I had drank more I could have happily spent most the day in the roller disco. That was very cool. The setup in the Sea stage seemed sadly a big poo poo though.

I was probably near the very back (we never got further forward than the merch tent/mixdesk), and it was still an utterly amazing show. So glad I went, and glad that was my first live performance.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Junior Jr. posted:

Apparently, from a youtube video that recorded the intro to the gig, the whole Gorillaz act had a couple of extra tracks that were yet to be released (i.e. the super deluxe vinyl box set) so it turned out one or two videos from Demon Dayz got a strike for playing said songs.

Don't know what that means for the Red Bull footage though.

Yeah, there were definitely one or two new tracks (I know Garage Palace was new, at least it was the first time I heard it).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 14, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

XIII posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXloFW_ZCA

New one just dropped. Easily my favorite the new batch.
Yeah, this song was great.

I think they might actually be circling back round to some lore again, too (I wonder if it's gonna turn out that's not Murdoc on the back of that bike - just for a change). It's me, the guy who cares about Gorillaz lore.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Quick heads up: I ordered the Annual and got a Song Machine CD (in a cardboard sleeve) as compensation for the delayed delivery. It's cool and good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

stev posted:

Plastic Beach, cool.

Also, Stylo (the car/sub) is back under new branding!

Wonder if this means other Phase Three elements are also going to return...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

drrockso20 posted:

You can definitely see where they put all the budget for Song Machine's videos into

also man they really can't seem to make up their minds about Cyborg Noodle can they?

Considering her eyes are open as the sub sinks, I think they left the door open for a return...