Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

net cafe scandal posted:

there will never be another Demon Days :negative:

We already have Demon Days, friend. :)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So after watching the Saturnz Barz video I guess the budget they had this time was around 1/10th that of the last two phases.

e: Is the website still just the Melancholy Hill video for everyone else? The link says pre-order and stream, drat it.

stev fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 23, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hedrigall posted:

https://store.warnermusic.com.au/collections/gorillaz/products/humanz-special-edition-2-cd-set

The real tracklisting:

1. Intro: I Switched My Robot Off
2. Ascension (feat. Vince Staples)
3. Strobelite (feat. Peven Everett)
4. Saturnz Barz (feat. Popcaan)
5. Momentz (feat. De La Soul)
6. Interlude: The Non-conformist Oath
7. Submission (feat. Danny Brown & Kelela)
8. Charger (feat. Grace Jones)
9. Interlude: Elevator Going Up
10. Andromeda (feat. D.R.A.M.)
11. Busted and Blue
12. Interlude: Talk Radio
13. Carnival (feat. Anthony Hamilton)
14. Let Me Out (feat. Mavis Staples & Pusha T)
15. Interlude: Penthouse
16. Sex Murder Party (feat. Jamie Principle & Zebra Katz)
17. She's My Collar (feat. Kali Uchis)
18. Interlude: The Elephant
19. Halleujah Money (feat. Benjamin Clementine)
20. We Got The Power (feat. Jehnny Beth)

Bonus tracks on Special Edition CD

1. Interlude: New World
2. The Apprentice (feat. Rag‘n’Bone Man, Zebra Katz & RAY BLK)
3. Halfway To The Halfway House (feat. Peven Everett)
4. Out Of Body (feat. Kilo Kish, Zebra Katz & Imani Vonshà)
5. Ticker Tape (feat. Carly Simon & Kali Uchis)
6. Circle Of Friendz (feat. Brandon Markell Holmes)

Huh, I wonder if that picture of Noodle is the actual album art or a placeholder.

I like all of the new tracks to different degrees (though I think Hallelujah Money is the best so far) but I generally prefer my Gorillaz a bit slower pace. It's always been chillout music to me.

E: Just one track on the level of Empire Ants or El Manana would do me. Just one. Maybe two.

stev fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 23, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok after three or four listens I love all of this now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

e: ignore me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So did anyone win tickets to tonight's secret gig?

I talked myself out of pre-ordering on their website at the last second. So many regrets.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dugong posted:

Ticket announcement is at 12pm today. There was a form hidden at the bottom of the page to sign up for the ballot even if you didn't buy the record.

Well gently caress my life.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Where is the gig anyway?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regalingualius posted:

Well, this pushed me over the edge to buy G-Sides and D-Sides, and I haven't been regretting it at all; might even look into getting the rest of the Plastic Beach singles now, too (already have Doncamatic).

There really isn't much outside of Doncamatic, The Fall and Melancholy Hill.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't imagine We Got the Power will be any longer. You can add the whole album on Apple Music (but only listen to those four songs) and the two minute one is the one from the album.

Unless they change the track on the album completely, but that seems unlikely.

Maybe we'll actually get a H-Sides this time with an extended version? Or the longer one is the crazy expensive vinyl exclusive one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What's with the honking? Is that just a censored version? Because the Apple Music one's the same...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Junior Jr. posted:

Yeah, I thought this was a radio edit...I hope there is another version though.

It's the same noise used in Ascension, which also has uncensored n-words. So maybe this is Damon's new favourite keyboard effect? :shrug:

Song's good though. Reminds me of Demon Days more than the others.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

*wunna

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Andromeda's remix basically brings the song to its full potential. The other three don't do a massive amount for me though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't even class The Fall as an album. It's more like an elongated EP.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jinh posted:

What are good songs on the fall? Because every time one of the tracks comes up on Spotify it feels more like a skit or mixes together several totally different sounds in a way that's really unappealling

Revolving Doors and Amarillo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Junior Jr. posted:

Here's Ascension live from the secret London gig a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mdgz8rkxY

This interview is pretty interesting, mainly because the original intent was always for Gorillaz to be its own band since phase one, instead of Damon always having to be on stage. Also Damon talking about making music on the iPad could explain why The Fall sounded naff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcoLgF0Djw

Kind of sounds like his end goal is to have shows pre-recorded and performed by holograms without his or anyone else's involvement.

e: And what's all this 'no one else has done it' poo poo? Japan had that poo poo locked down a decade ago.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 7, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It just occurred to me that Busted and Blue is the only track on the album without a vocal collaborator. It does seem that Damon's taken a backseat on vocals this time around in comparison to previous albums.

I haven't heard B&B yet but my favourite track on each album has been a Damon heavy/solo one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

http://www.gorillaz.com/tour/

So... UK dates to be announced later right? ...Right?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MasterSitsu posted:

I didn't expect a whole hell of a lot after THE FALL, but... drat. This is the most unlistenable album I've heard since that Lou Reed/Metallica album.

I feel like you don't listen to enough albums.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So did anyone go to one of these house party things? My nearest one's about a 40 minute walk but I can't really be hosed to listen to a probably not very good/stable stream.

robot roll call posted:

For me that's Hallelujah Money. They posted that video of it on Trump's inauguration night and it really stuck with me since then. It's probably my favorite on the album which is weird because I didn't think much of it on first listen.

Yeah after letting that one marinate for a few months I really, really love it.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 22, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always thought Demon Days was way too well produced and polished and missed the rough edge that I loved in ST.

Plastic Beach felt rough as gently caress again so to me it was a return to form. Typing that out makes me realise how dumb it is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Far too much Albarn on the new track, he needs to step away from the mic and let the collaborators sing more imo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why was this not the album version.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Strobelite's pretty great. Hope it gets a single and sweet rear end video.

e: Ok this is all really cool.

stev fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 28, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hedrigall posted:

Also I can see Momentz being the next single and goddamn huge. Like the next Feel Good Inc for the band.

I'm not sure. I like it but the vocals are unrefined as gently caress which would probably stop it from breaking out.

Crain posted:

Still thinking about it. But getting to New World and The Apprentice after We Got The Power is a pretty massive shift in tone. I feel like those belong after Elevator Going Up.

I agree but they're not actually part of the album itself, just the bonus disc. So you could just segment it as its own separate running order

stev fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 28, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorillaz: Hey the world and music are pretty cool. They have their ups and downs but we should enjoy ourselves and live a little.
Demon Days: Hey what the gently caress, world. We had a good thing going there.
Plastic Beach: Oh come the gently caress on, sort it out planet earth.
The Fall: I'M HIGH AS gently caress!
Humanz: gently caress it, lets dance until we die.

e: Huh, so the physical versions are just Noodle's face? I assumed that was just a placeholder. Bit mean on the other three isn't it?

stev fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 28, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hughesta posted:

Plastic Beach is my least favorite album of theirs, and I still like it a whole lot. I think the problems some people take with it (myself included) is its sequencing. Glitter Freeze is probably the worst song to ever be put on a mainline Gorillaz album, and why it wasn't replaced with one if its many alternate versions just boggles my mind any time I hear it. Sweepstakes is a great song but placing it after Broken kind of ruins the flow of the second half of the album for me, and there are so many amazing songs recorded for PB that we never got (like Leviathan) that it kind of makes the record we got feel sort of flaccid. It's a really great album but compared to the rest it just feels a little undercooked.

That alternative version of Glitter Freeze is way worse imo. And Leviathan doesn't sound particularly great from that snippet alone.

I think PB is great but it doesn't have the immediate appeal that DD (and to a lesser extent ST) had. It's far more of a grower. I'd probably have said the same about Humanz if those first tracks didn't give me the chance to mentally prepare for something different.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm not keen on Halfway to the Halfway house. It would've felt at home on The Fall.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So, so glad they're doing the O2. I'm not sure I'd have fancied the trek to Brighton and back on a Monday.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Has anyone done the UK Songkick signup thing for tomorrow's pre-sale? I've done it twice and haven't had any sort of acknowledgement email or notification. Worried I've hosed it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I liked Sex Murder Party on the first couple of listens but after letting the album sink in it's the only track that sticks out as expendable. I'd have been in favour of swapping it out of The Apprentice (maybe not in the same slot though, maybe in the first half of the album).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How can you recommend The Fall and not even mention self titled?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I...uh, forgot.

We cool.

Also got tickets to the last date on the tour (and only London date). Mad hyped, I've wanted to see them for like half of my natural life.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really don't get why they didn't give Andromeda a video. Of all the songs on the album it's the one by far most suited to Gorillaz' style of videos.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regalingualius posted:

They usually release a video for each of their album's singles over time, right?

Idk they technically already released singles of the first five songs, and gave four of them crappy looping animations and Saturnz Barz a proper video.

Who knows how this sort of thing works in a post streaming world though. What even is a single.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's still an extremely political album though. It just doesn't have constant direct references to current politics (though it does have a fair few).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Avril Lavigne posted:

Almost as if being blended together and unified as one despite differences is more important than being distinctly separate.

It basically just sounds like Albarn though tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress there are still tickets left for the O2 shows. That's a bit depressing. I feel dumb for jumping on the first overpriced seating tickets I could get in the presale.