Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Gorillaz, Humanz, 4/28/17

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
From Hewlett's Instagram

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
$111 to see them in Miami...as part of a festival. Uuuuugh. I don't think I can swing that.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Submission
Charger
Ascension
Saturnz Barz
Momentz
She's My Collar
Hallelujah Money
We Got the Power
Out of Body
-
(Everything Else)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Sex Murder Party

Holy poo poo Sex Murder Party is loving awful.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I'm honestly really curious why people seem to kind of poo poo on Plastic Beach because it's far and away my favorite album of theirs, and honestly one of my favorite albums period. Yeah, Pirate Ship and Cloud of Unknowing suck, and it kind of puts a damper on the end of the album, but literally every other track is excellent, where I can't say that about any other album. I know taste is subjective, but it's just odd to see everyone have such a different opinion.

What is it specifically that makes people dislike it? Or at the least, like it so much less than the first two albums?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
He’s right. Humanz sucks. I like Saturnz Barz and Ascension though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I listened all the way through (bonus tracks too) like ten times but ok? :confused:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Nah, Damon just put out a poo poo album. It’s okay, they can’t all be Plastic Beach. :)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Steve2911 posted:

"Oh snap, 15 new posts, must be new album news!"

Humanz is good but I skip far more tracks than I do on any of their others. Nothing I outright hate though.

Just couldn’t get into it, hard as I tried. I will say Momentz and Charger are pretty cool too. I missed Damon’s voice on the album a lot.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Macrame_God posted:

Music video for the new song "Humanity" just dropped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5yFcdPAGv0

[ G O O D ]

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Why does Russel trip 2D? And what’s up with 2D’s eyes at the end?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Someone should make a new thread. Album is right around the corner. :dance:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I hate the talk-singing. Snoop Dogg’s part was great though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I wish the album sounded more like Humility overall. It’s chill to a fault. My favorite Gorillaz song is Empire Ants, so I don’t mind chill, but it seemed like too much of a good thing. None of the songs are bad, but the album as a whole feels samey theoughout.

Magic City, Souk Eye, Fire Flies, and Humility are all A+, though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

scary ghost dog posted:

ya this is pretty mich it. im mad at the retard fans who didnt like humanz because albarn didnt have enough vocals on it but think this album is perfect

Can I think both albums are bad? They're both bad. Humanz is slightly less bad.

I don't like to be negative, either. I'm usually pretty easy to please, but both albums did very little for me.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It's fine. Everyone I work with is an infant compared to me and flails their arms in anger when I tell them I don't know who Cardi B. is, so I've decided to stop talking about music with them anyway.

Can I still talk to YOU about it, Scary Dog? Please? :bigtran:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Plastic Beach, Demon Days, Gorillaz, Humanz, Now Now

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I dunno how an album with Rhinestone Eyes, Stylo, Superfast Jellyfish, Empire Ants, White Flag, Welcome..., and Sweepstakes can be just “hmm.”

Not calling anyone out in particular, more wondering why PB doesn’t get more love.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
White Flag is awesome, though?

Glitter Freeze is fine. If you told me you hated Pirate Ship or Cloud of Unknowing, sure.

80% of PB is gold.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hedrigall posted:

There isn't a song called Pirate Ship, jerks

Pirate Jet* , sorry.

I like that song, and Cloud of Unknowing (the whole album), but I can understand why others wouldn’t.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I can't get this song out of my head, it's so goddamn good.

I kept singing the title, so it got stuck in my wife's head too. But she started singing "Fish filet..." and god drat it, now that's stuck in my head!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Murdoc and 2D hate each other.

2D was never happier than in the Humility video when Murdoc was in jail. Russ even trips him as he rollerblades because he's upset that 2D is so happy.

In Murdoc's address to everyone about corona (yes, this is a thing) he named himself, Noodle, Russell and "the other one."

I think that's all it is.

Also, something about 2D's eyes are white now instead of black? I think that's a lore thing too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I ordered the limited edition of this today:

https://z2comics.com/products/gorillaz-almanac

Looks cool, and I love coffee table books.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
$200?

Did you get the super limited edition?

By the way, I love how Murdoc made sure their signatures went in order: Murdoc, Russell, Noodle, 2D lol

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

IUG posted:

So it turns out that didn't embed properly from mobile, but the SA iOS app converted it for me, oh well!

And now that it's live and I got to listen to it, it sounds like one of my favorite tracks so far.

Eh, I wasn't much into it these first couple of listens.

But then, I said that about every song except Desolé and now I love all the songs except Aries.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I imagine some of those tracks are gonna be skits or interstitial-type things.

Either way, can't wait! Just a little over a month to go!

Also, loving Beck?! AND Robert Smith?! And mother loving ELTON JOHN?

:vince:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

scary ghost dog posted:

fascinating, but completely incorrect. music is music and your skewed perception of what gorillaz is doesnt matter to anyone but yourself, humanz is 10/10, so is the now now, so is the fall, so will be song machine

Nah, they're right. Plastic Beach was their last great album as a whole. I don't really care about the virtual aspect of the band outside of the cool videos and occasionally funny animated bits outside of the videos, though.

They've made some wonderful music since PB, and I've either loved every song on Song Machine or at least grown to like them, but Strange Timez kind of sucks. Which is a shame because once the beat kicks in, it's good, but the intro or whatever is way too long and boring and the rest of the good parts of the song, way too short.

I will say Song Machine is already way better than the Now Now and Humanz just based on the songs released so far.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

stev posted:

1) Plastic Beach
2) Self titled
3) Song Machine (so far)
4) Demon Days
5) Humanz
6) The Now Now
7) The Fall

All of them have great songs though. The Now Now probably has two or three that are right up there with the best - the rest just didn't click as much for me.

Gorillaz has seven loving albums now. How crazy is that after the waits between albums 2, 3 and 4?

Same list!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Rhinestone Eyes, Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach, White Flag, Stylo, Empire Ants, Sweepstakes, Plastic Beach, Superfast Jellyfish...like, goddamn what an incredible album. I really wish Doncamatic was on there too since it's from the same era.

(I don't get the hate for Glitter Freeze, I think it's cool)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

stev posted:

The 6LACK verses really felt out of place on the first listen. A nice chill track though.

I felt the same way. Loved the Elton and Damon vocals, though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Shinjobi posted:

The more I watch the Pink Phantom video, the more I realize I dont mind 6LACK at all on the track, but he's not given much to visually do in the video and it's distracting as hell.

Still love listening to the song though

Yeah, his part has grown on me but his part of the video sticks out like a sore thumb.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think it was more they wanted to immortalize him in Jaime’s style. I love that Elton cartoon.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Aging is a bitch

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
With Love to an Ex :swoon:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Are you irresponsible with money and also stuck in a perpetual state of arrested development like I am? Well, then, I have just the thing(s) for you!

https://superplastic.co/collections/gorillaz-vinyl-art-toys-collectibles

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Only thing I'm not happy with is Murdoc not actually playing his bass. But then 2D is holding the mic behind his back, so ehhhh

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

scary ghost dog posted:

i want the noodle but i dont think i $80 want it

If it helps, I have the previously based 2D from "Tranz" and it's really, really nice. His eyes even light up. :v:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

scary ghost dog posted:

why would this help

Because you should buy things that make you happy. :)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Asema posted:

it took me two weeks to figure out his eyes lit up :)))))))))))

I thought mine was broken or missing the switch. Had no idea it was under his hair!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Wasn't the last rumor that it was gonna be a show on Netflix?

Anyway, video was great. My almanac finally shipped. Good Gorillaz Day to all, and to all a Good Gorillaz nite.