Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-retail-apocalypse-has-officially-descended-on-america-2017-3

quote:

The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America :kingsley:

Thousands of mall-based stores are shutting down in what's fast becoming one of the biggest waves of retail closures in decades.

More than 3,500 stores are expected to close in the next couple months.

Department stores like JCPenney, Macy's, Sears, and Kmart are among the many companies shutting down stores, along with middle-of-the-mall chains like Crocs, BCBG, Abercrombie & Fitch, and Guess.

Some retailers are exiting the brick-and-mortar business altogether and trying to shift to an all-online model.

Visits to shopping malls have been declining for years with the rise of ecommerce, as well as titanic shifts in how shoppers are spending their money.

Visits to malls declined by 50% between 2010 and 2013, according to real estate research firm Cushman & Wakefield.

The nation's worst-performing malls — those classified in the industry as C- and D-rated — will be hit the hardest by the store closures.

The real estate research firm Green Street Advisors estimates that about 30% of all malls fall under that category.

That means that nearly a third of all shopping malls are at risk of dying off as a result of the store closures.

There goes all the "low skill" retail jobs.

love 2 live in late stage capitalism's degeneration from a consumer-based economy to a capitalist luxury economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

As a dyslexic I soppurt Ed Malls

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
the dmv always seems to move into a mall before it dies

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAoh_yteKkc

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

yeah if that music was playing in the mall i'd run from it too

edit: nothing says edgy youth like a middle aged guy with male pattern baldness trying to look hip, threatening to kick peoples asses

gobbagool has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Mar 22, 2017

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://youtu.be/OZ2ormW9kFU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
where is paul blart gonna work? :(

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I was gonna say the white house but I mistook him for the fat guy from the other mall cop movie observe and report who kept calling Aziz Ansari Saddam Hussein

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

A gritty send off to the classically beloved character, Kevin James in his last portrayal of the beloved private security officer patrols the empty skeleton of a decaying shopping center in Blart (2019).

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
as a teenager the mall was basically the only thing to do besides drugs and loitering so rip

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Brown Menace posted:

I was gonna say the white house but I mistook him for the fat guy from the other mall cop movie observe and report who kept calling Aziz Ansari Saddam Hussein

that was a strange film

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jose posted:

that was a strange film

Observe & Report is good.

I think most stores' leases in malls are tied to big retailers like Sears, Macy's etc. also having space in the mall so yeah malls are probably hosed. Looking forward to the increased rates of old people getting hit and killed by motorists because they have no safe indoor place to do their 5 a.m. power-walks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I just buy less poo poo in general, I don't think online shopping is the only factor but it's a big one if not the biggest :shrug: Plus as someone who lives in a ~costal liberal stronghold~ I can just walk to buy stuff if I need a physical space to do so. Another kick in the balls for middle America.

Also the mall was a cool place to hang out as a teen so RIP that part of my youth. Though people were saying K-Mart was dead six or seven years ago so I'll believe it when I'm standing over its freshly packed grave.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the mall was a bad idea to begin with and is entirely a vestige of american excess, having one giant super ultra mega store like 45 minutes away from everyone is ridiculous and doesn't work in a world where we are rapidly seeing the enormous disadvantage of needing a car for absolutely anything. also they were inevitably going to become massive magnets for crime since any decline means more of the mall's open space is unsecured and unsupervised, meaning they only decline further, meaning you end up needing to demolish the whole loving enormous space and spend a shitload of money to not make the place tank in property value due to its repute as a gang fortress. on the flip side, when they do demolish very centrally located malls while keeping the parking lots, they make for very good public event spaces, test courses for drivers ed, and hell, probably a decent place to host racing of some kind if someone organized a way to do it

i am glad for its death and unironically see the neighborhood strip mall as an actually better means of doing retail. if strip mall managers were clever they'd take advantage of this by increasing the front promenades of their space and making them pleasant places to just hang around at via plants and benches and maybe spots for kiosks and other small stands. kill the malls, refurbish strip malls into extremely tiny mini-malls

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Observe & Report is good.

I think most stores' leases in malls are tied to big retailers like Sears, Macy's etc. also having space in the mall so yeah malls are probably hosed. Looking forward to the increased rates of old people getting hit and killed by motorists because they have no safe indoor place to do their 5 a.m. power-walks.

a mall in this area which had been failing hard got bought by some turkish company a couple years ago (?) and has added an aquarium, and a pretty decent if somewhat smaller dave and busters type establishment. There were 2 huge anchor stores empty but I think the State of NY just took one of them over to put a call center in. In my imagination anyways, this should work. adding a few hundred people there every day who will need to eat and maybe even do a little shopping should help. Your comment though is spot on - for years the only people in this mall were the olds powerwalking.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-X3YdA3mA

There are many more if you like this

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

love 2 live in late stage capitalism's degeneration from a consumer-based economy to a capitalist luxury economy

they can go work in the amazon warehouse mines

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's a good thing Malls are dying, but that has been the case for a long time so it's not really a big deal. Also who the gently caress wants to "save" the mall?

lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
guys we need to hold a charity breakdancing competition to raise $2000 by midnight or else mean Mr. Retcher is gonna close down the Spencers

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Better get out there and save your malls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_bhVSGKEg

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's a good thing Malls are dying, but that has been the case for a long time so it's not really a big deal. Also who the gently caress wants to "save" the mall?

lol

The main thrust of this thread is that hundreds of thousands of jobs are gonna be lost and there won't be any replacements.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The main thrust of this thread is that hundreds of thousands of jobs are gonna be lost and there won't be any replacements.

wrong, idiot - Trumps going to bring all the retail jobs back from Mexico

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-retail-apocalypse-has-officially-descended-on-america-2017-3

Don't worry, all of those low-skill retail workers can just go back to college and get STEM degrees and become programmers! - Dems

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

*in liberal voice* thats not true. some of them will work at amazon warehouses.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

but what will happen to the american dream of working minimum wage at the cash at hot topic until u die????

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The real reason nobody goes to malls is that wages have been stagnant for decades, and nobody wants to finance consumption through credit any more. Capitalism is hollowing out its own consumer base, meaning more and more of our energies are being directed towards servicing the desires of the capitalists who stole our wages to begin with. If malls survive it'll be because they're renting out space to churches or commercial interests.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

but what will happen to the american dream of working minimum wage at the cash at hot topic until u die????

Well without income or welfare, I guess you just die.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Lets see you hiding in an online store when the zombies come.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Don't worry there's plenty of independent contractor positions in the new sharing economy

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

working in retail is completely awful and malls are miserable shrines to consumption and excess so I'm glad to see them die

sucks for all those college kids that can't make rent now though maybe we could do something about that

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i don't know about you guys but i'm in the 'strip the copper wiring out of abandoned buildings for meth money' industry and the future could not be brighter right now

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

But what to do with these ugly concrete hogbuses?

How about, like...

affordable housing?

No, no, no windows that's a terrible idea, come back to me

[...]

Oh, wait, let's turn them into vast LED hydroponic farms and grow vegetables there. Not sure what to do with the empty acres of parking lots. Maybe just let nature reclaim it

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Democrats could get a head start unionizing the sex workers of the future but that would be a hard sell for the influential frigid bitch and Hollywood creep wings of the party.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Really despite the low wage job loss I don't see anyone saying this is a bad thing

They were private poorly thought out copies of public market spaces that stifled dissent in the name of property rights

It's pretty much like newspapers: they will die and not be missed

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nebakenezzer posted:

Really despite the low wage job loss I don't see anyone saying this is a bad thing

They were private poorly thought out copies of public market spaces that stifled dissent in the name of property rights

It's pretty much like newspapers: they will die and not be missed

It's a bad thing because these malls killed Main Street, and now there's nothing left in these towns. Older malls in particular used to bring in a lot of tax money, too, before developers got smart with PIFs and made the shoppers pay for it all.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

working in retail is completely awful and malls are miserable shrines to consumption and excess so I'm glad to see them die

sucks for all those college kids that can't make rent now though maybe we could do something about that

Half of the stores in half of the malls I'm familiar with (the malls in older working class areas) are boutiques owned by first generation immigrant families. They're hosed.

When the suburban malls close, there will be live/work/play developments in their place and everything in those places are corporate owned.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

tadashi posted:

Half of the stores in half of the malls I'm familiar with (the malls in older working class areas) are boutiques owned by first generation immigrant families. They're hosed.

When the malls close, there will be live/work/play developments in their place and everything in those places are corporate owned.

Lol you think that most dead malls are in places that people want to redevelop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

tadashi posted:

When the suburban malls close, there will be live/work/play developments in their place and everything in those places are corporate owned.

arcologies here we come

• Locked thread