Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

goes really great together with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEd8l3EGfgA

(lots more here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

hey look at that, the employment rate of prime working age men in rural areas is significantly lower than everywhere else, and unemployment among the same cohort has risen in cities because that's where those people are moving

how bout dem apples

This will surely continue forever under the guidance of our God Emperor.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

did anyone link the dead mall series videos yet because they're superb in the most depressing kind of way

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
first they came for the down towns and no one said anything
then they came for the malls

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If retail goes down then the US is in deep poo poo employment wise, don't celebrate the death of malls.

Chain stores are going to have to buy into the Amazon Go system just to stay afloat, because that then means they can start laying people off.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Doorknob Slobber posted:

first they came for the down towns and no one said anything
then they came for the malls

Good news! It turns out that even depressed downtowns are way more financially productive than malls: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2016/7/13/the-shopping-mall-death-spiral

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

rudatron posted:

If retail goes down then the US is in deep poo poo employment wise, don't celebrate the death of malls.

Chain stores are going to have to buy into the Amazon Go system just to stay afloat, because that then means they can start laying people off.

I still celebrate it because the coming unemployment crisis gonna force us to adapt better economic policies or destroy us.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

pig slut lisa posted:

Good news! It turns out that even depressed downtowns are way more financially productive than malls: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2016/7/13/the-shopping-mall-death-spiral

huh its almost as if people want a rustic and quaint shopping experience now~

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they turned one of the malls i used to frequent as a teenager into a fuckin aquarium of all things rofl

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lastgirl posted:

huh its almost as if people want a rustic and quaint shopping experience now~

Also I don't know about you but I rarely want to be in a large building with a bunch of people I don't know with exits I can't immediately reach.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

rudatron posted:

counterpoint: good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

anime was right posted:

as a teenager the mall was basically the only thing to do besides drugs and loitering so rip

I thought those things were the whole point of the mall.

jarofpiss posted:

they can go work in the amazon warehouse mines

At least they won't have to deal with crazy shoppers who ask for the impossible and then complain to the manager when they didn't get it the second they asked.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I still celebrate it because the coming unemployment crisis gonna force us to adapt better economic policies or destroy us.
lol if you think the threat of imminent destruction is going to make america change anything

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I guarantee you the death of retail as employment will be blamed on 'high wages'/'lazy millenials', and the minimum wage will just get cut

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

my local dead mall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-8uX4WM7fw

it's not that it's a bad area (the bigger, more established and much more successful mall is a mile away) they just got hosed over 20 times over in it's 20 years

and those old k-mart tapes with muzak are a must listen

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

financially racist posted:

they turned one of the malls i used to frequent as a teenager into a fuckin aquarium of all things rofl

Rotterdam square? To be fair, only a small part of it, and since then occupancy has risen. Still sad but less so

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

so do you think the government should be subsidizing malls as a jobs program or what

more importantly, are online goods retailers such as amazon even better to begin with?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
abandoned malls will probably be reclaimed by squatters like a somehow even more depressing version of dawn of the dead

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Hodgepodge posted:

abandoned malls will probably be reclaimed by squatters like a somehow even more depressing version of dawn of the dead

Corey Doctorow did this in one of his novels where 2 dudes basically made the mall into their giant maker workshop and did some cool poo poo. Then they moved to a hollowed out walmart and it was competing with Disney World somehow? idk it got weird and sorta unrealistic in some places but I liked the idea of two dudes just making an RC car out of a hundred tickle me elmos in a dead mall.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I lived near Evergreen Mall, "America's First Indoor Mall" Evergreen Park, right next to Chicago, growing up. I was told by my older relatives that they had some kind of conveyor belt around the back where they would take your stuff directly to your car. Seemed cool, but by the time I was old enough to go unattended all the music stores were "urban" and The Plaza (also known as The Place, The Plaza is The Place) was on a downward spiral of stores bailing. Nothing really for a white kid unless I wanted to go full-on poser, I was not the targeted demo at all for the remaining stores. I saw The Matrix there because the theater didn't card. Some good memories at The Place.

I kind of miss the mall. Kind of.

Hey, guys. Let's go to the mall... today.

EDIT: Why the gently caress won't it let me put a clever video in via hyperlink?

EDIT2 Fixed it, gently caress you Copy/Paste, work the regular way please.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Mar 23, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Most of the malls in my area (Northern Virginia) are basically being torn down for the new "Town-center" model. Basically a mini city in the middle of suburbia that host apartments/condo/business in high raises so people can park, work in the area, walk around when its nice, and in general experience city life while still having a house a couple of miles away. Not sure what the population threshold needs to be in order to make this work in other areas but it could be a semi-decent replacement for local business.

One of the biggest mall in the area (has Prince Charles and Princess Diana visit it back in 1985) that died in 2012 has been reborn as this concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Town_Center

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I lived near Evergreen Mall, "America's First Indoor Mall" Evergreen Park, right next to Chicago, growing up. I was told by my older relatives that they had some kind of conveyor belt around the back where they would take your stuff directly to your car. Seemed cool, but by the time I was old enough to go unattended all the music stores were "urban" and The Plaza (also known as The Place, The Plaza is The Place) was on a downward spiral of stores bailing. Nothing really for a white kid unless I wanted to go full-on poser, I was not the targeted demo at all for the remaining stores. I saw The Matrix there because the theater didn't card. Some good memories at The Place.

I kind of miss the mall. Kind of.

Hey, guys. Let's go to the mall... today.

EDIT: Why the gently caress won't it let me put a clever video in via hyperlink?

EDIT2 Fixed it, gently caress you Copy/Paste, work the regular way please.

"tory" and "sorry" don't rhyme unless you're some kind of degenerate brit. that's terrible, I hope tiffany got royalties from that

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BexGu posted:

Most of the malls in my area (Northern Virginia) are basically being torn down for the new "Town-center" model. Basically a mini city in the middle of suburbia that host apartments/condo/business in high raises so people can park, work in the area, walk around when its nice, and in general experience city life while still having a house a couple of miles away. Not sure what the population threshold needs to be in order to make this work in other areas but it could be a semi-decent replacement for local business.

One of the biggest mall in the area (has Prince Charles and Princess Diana visit it back in 1985) that died in 2012 has been reborn as this concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Town_Center

So the "new" model is just the "old" model before the malls and big box stores destroyed it?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

GlyphGryph posted:

So the "new" model is just the "old" model before the malls and big box stores destroyed it?

Probably. Turns out everything is a cycle given enough time. There are still Big Box stores around the area so it not like they have completely gone away.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Badger of Basra posted:

so do you think the government should be subsidizing malls as a jobs program or what

This is pretty much my point too

Like you can worry about the trends and macroeconomic effects and poo poo, but the destruction of malls and some big box stores and those idiotic malls that are just a bunch of big box stores separated by massive parking lots, and these places are dumb and awful, and them going away is a good thing

Think of that, something good happening in 2017

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I need to go to the mall today. I will report back w/ information on employment numbers and other musings.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Everyone should go to Lucenne Mall in "Night in the Woods" and report back, asap.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
When i was in the US i also visited a giant mall and it was one of the most depressing things i have ever seen. i feel so sorry for the kids having to hang out in a loving shopping center.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The dead mall I used to frequent as a kid is now filled with storefront churches.

There is another mall here that is in the process of slowly dying. It's weird because it seems lively and thriving until you walk about half way through it at which point everything just kind of stops. All the stores are vacant, the lights are dim and the only thing that stands out is glow from the entrance to Sears in the distance. That was a couple of years ago so it's probably worse now.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I will never mourn a dead mall

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BexGu posted:

My main issues with these is they just add to gentrification

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

tadashi posted:

My main issues with these is they just add to gentrification

the gang that wants to see malls die and cities revived are the same ones that love gentrification and don't give a second thought to what happens to the urban poor in it's wake. it's almost like...liberals dont like poor people

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

gobbagool posted:

the gang that wants to see malls die and cities revived are the same ones that love gentrification and don't give a second thought to what happens to the urban poor in it's wake. it's almost like...liberals dont like poor people

This is incredibly wrong because liberals spent the last several years singing the highest praises of self admitted poor person Hillary Clinton

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Lord of Pie posted:

This is incredibly wrong because liberals spent the last several years singing the highest praises of self admitted poor person Hillary Clinton

I dont think most of us realize how hard it is to make ends meet when you're only worth $300m

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The_Franz posted:

The dead mall I used to frequent as a kid is now filled with storefront churches.

There is another mall here that is in the process of slowly dying. It's weird because it seems lively and thriving until you walk about half way through it at which point everything just kind of stops. All the stores are vacant, the lights are dim and the only thing that stands out is glow from the entrance to Sears in the distance. That was a couple of years ago so it's probably worse now.

The mall I frequented the most was a place called Latham Circle and it just spontaneously collapsed. It had a lot of competition from two other, much larger malls, but it had that competition for a real long time and kept chugging along. Then all the stores just left and the building deteriorated really rapidly, like shockingly so. I went two years after the widespread withdrawal happened and there was just leaky ceilings everywhere, floor tiles were broken, tons of lights were clearly burnt out. Seeing that poo poo made me realize that malls are almost certainly not worth the maintenance costs if they are not at nearly 100% capacity nearly all the time.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

The mall I frequented the most was a place called Latham Circle and it just spontaneously collapsed. It had a lot of competition from two other, much larger malls, but it had that competition for a real long time and kept chugging along. Then all the stores just left and the building deteriorated really rapidly, like shockingly so. I went two years after the widespread withdrawal happened and there was just leaky ceilings everywhere, floor tiles were broken, tons of lights were clearly burnt out. Seeing that poo poo made me realize that malls are almost certainly not worth the maintenance costs if they are not at nearly 100% capacity nearly all the time.

that poo poo's all torn down now and have a bunch of big box stores there, right across the street from latham farms, a whole other big bunch of big box stores

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

gobbagool posted:

the gang that wants to see malls die and cities revived are the same ones that love gentrification and don't give a second thought to what happens to the urban poor in it's wake. it's almost like...Americans dont like poor people

So Americans are the bad guys here

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The malls around here are doing ok, but that's all cause of Canadians. With Trump deciding he wants a strong dollar, I bet everything's going to collapse soon enough.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Nebakenezzer posted:

So Americans are the bad guys here

edgy, not what I wrote though. To my actual point, i think you'll find it's not conservatives moving back into the city and forcing poor people out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Grondoth posted:

The malls around here are doing ok, but that's all cause of Canadians. With Trump deciding he wants a strong dollar, I bet everything's going to collapse soon enough.

western NY? when the GST was instituted in southern ONT, i was working at a grocery store in Tonawanda NY...called it the "Go shop in Tonawanda" tax

• Locked thread