Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

yeah if that music was playing in the mall i'd run from it too

edit: nothing says edgy youth like a middle aged guy with male pattern baldness trying to look hip, threatening to kick peoples asses

gobbagool has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Observe & Report is good.

I think most stores' leases in malls are tied to big retailers like Sears, Macy's etc. also having space in the mall so yeah malls are probably hosed. Looking forward to the increased rates of old people getting hit and killed by motorists because they have no safe indoor place to do their 5 a.m. power-walks.

a mall in this area which had been failing hard got bought by some turkish company a couple years ago (?) and has added an aquarium, and a pretty decent if somewhat smaller dave and busters type establishment. There were 2 huge anchor stores empty but I think the State of NY just took one of them over to put a call center in. In my imagination anyways, this should work. adding a few hundred people there every day who will need to eat and maybe even do a little shopping should help. Your comment though is spot on - for years the only people in this mall were the olds powerwalking.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

financially racist posted:

they turned one of the malls i used to frequent as a teenager into a fuckin aquarium of all things rofl

Rotterdam square? To be fair, only a small part of it, and since then occupancy has risen. Still sad but less so

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I lived near Evergreen Mall, "America's First Indoor Mall" Evergreen Park, right next to Chicago, growing up. I was told by my older relatives that they had some kind of conveyor belt around the back where they would take your stuff directly to your car. Seemed cool, but by the time I was old enough to go unattended all the music stores were "urban" and The Plaza (also known as The Place, The Plaza is The Place) was on a downward spiral of stores bailing. Nothing really for a white kid unless I wanted to go full-on poser, I was not the targeted demo at all for the remaining stores. I saw The Matrix there because the theater didn't card. Some good memories at The Place.

I kind of miss the mall. Kind of.

Hey, guys. Let's go to the mall... today.

EDIT: Why the gently caress won't it let me put a clever video in via hyperlink?

EDIT2 Fixed it, gently caress you Copy/Paste, work the regular way please.

"tory" and "sorry" don't rhyme unless you're some kind of degenerate brit. that's terrible, I hope tiffany got royalties from that

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

tadashi posted:

My main issues with these is they just add to gentrification

the gang that wants to see malls die and cities revived are the same ones that love gentrification and don't give a second thought to what happens to the urban poor in it's wake. it's almost like...liberals dont like poor people

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Lord of Pie posted:

This is incredibly wrong because liberals spent the last several years singing the highest praises of self admitted poor person Hillary Clinton

I dont think most of us realize how hard it is to make ends meet when you're only worth $300m

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

financially racist posted:

The mall I frequented the most was a place called Latham Circle and it just spontaneously collapsed. It had a lot of competition from two other, much larger malls, but it had that competition for a real long time and kept chugging along. Then all the stores just left and the building deteriorated really rapidly, like shockingly so. I went two years after the widespread withdrawal happened and there was just leaky ceilings everywhere, floor tiles were broken, tons of lights were clearly burnt out. Seeing that poo poo made me realize that malls are almost certainly not worth the maintenance costs if they are not at nearly 100% capacity nearly all the time.

that poo poo's all torn down now and have a bunch of big box stores there, right across the street from latham farms, a whole other big bunch of big box stores

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Nebakenezzer posted:

So Americans are the bad guys here

edgy, not what I wrote though. To my actual point, i think you'll find it's not conservatives moving back into the city and forcing poor people out

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Grondoth posted:

The malls around here are doing ok, but that's all cause of Canadians. With Trump deciding he wants a strong dollar, I bet everything's going to collapse soon enough.

western NY? when the GST was instituted in southern ONT, i was working at a grocery store in Tonawanda NY...called it the "Go shop in Tonawanda" tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Nebakenezzer posted:

So in your mind malls are not going out of business because they are no longer financially viable, it's because "liberals"

Tell me about the time a pack of Prius drivers trashed a Foot Locker in an insidious scheme to speculate on real estate

If you want to be a conservative about it you should be cheering "creative destruction" and poo poo

Like seriously what do you want to do about this

Oh, no, i didn't mean to leave that impression at all. Malls are going out of business because of Amazon.com and to a lesser degree walmart brick and mortar stores. I am a hypocrite in that I don't want malls to go out of business, but I do the vast majority of my non-grocery shopping via amazon

edit: "do about this"? gently caress if i know, i guess surrender to the inevitable ascendance of Amazon.

gobbagool has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Mar 23, 2017

• Locked thread