Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I used to live one county over from Nowata, Oklahoma, which became infamous for being one of the first towns that was destroyed by Wal-Mart. They moved a shopping center into the area, which wiped out all of the mainstreet businesses - but after a decade they decided that there wasn't enough of a consumer market to support the store - so they closed up and left the economy in complete ruins. It took another decade before businesses came back to mainstreet, but by then the town was already half depopulated.

When the malls start shutting down the same thing is going to happen to rural towns all across the country.

rural depopulation's been a thing for a couple generations now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This isn't the inevitable march of progress towards urban concentration, it's an unemployment crisis.

yeah because agricultural jobs have largely been mechanized over the past half century, and the ones that aren't are mostly poo poo handled by migrant workers or prisoners

dying malls has gently caress all to do with why people are leaving the sticks

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Maybe those century long processes aren't relevant to what's happening in the present, is my point.

they absolutely are

the one thing that made living in rural areas possible for working people i.e. work has largely disappeared

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey look at that, the employment rate of prime working age men in rural areas is significantly lower than everywhere else, and unemployment among the same cohort has risen in cities because that's where those people are moving

how bout dem apples

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jarofpiss posted:

how will i go buy a cat in the hat hat and a pair of sunglasses with alien shaped lenses if spencer's gifts goes away?

didn't spencer's go out of business like ten years ago?

oh wait i'm thinking of gadzooks

• Locked thread