Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Better get out there and save your malls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_bhVSGKEg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

working in retail is completely awful and malls are miserable shrines to consumption and excess so I'm glad to see them die

sucks for all those college kids that can't make rent now though maybe we could do something about that

Half of the stores in half of the malls I'm familiar with (the malls in older working class areas) are boutiques owned by first generation immigrant families. They're hosed.

When the suburban malls close, there will be live/work/play developments in their place and everything in those places are corporate owned.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

call to action posted:

Lol you think that most dead malls are in places that people want to redevelop

I guess it depends on the area. Most the malls around Atlanta that are dying will actually get redeveloped and then the residents will be charged 80% of the neighborhood average income meaning the malls that are about to be abandoned will be replaced by abandoned apartments/condos in 15 years.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BexGu posted:

Most of the malls in my area (Northern Virginia) are basically being torn down for the new "Town-center" model. Basically a mini city in the middle of suburbia that host apartments/condo/business in high raises so people can park, work in the area, walk around when its nice, and in general experience city life while still having a house a couple of miles away. Not sure what the population threshold needs to be in order to make this work in other areas but it could be a semi-decent replacement for local business.

One of the biggest mall in the area (has Prince Charles and Princess Diana visit it back in 1985) that died in 2012 has been reborn as this concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Town_Center

My main issues with these is they just add to gentrification

• Locked thread