Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Quad posted:

Where do people stream games that isn't mlb.tv nowadays? I hope this question isn't :filez: :(

If :10bux: is your concern, there's an account sharing thread and you could join a group for less than $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How does the Mexican League work? Its under the AAA umbrella, but doesn't have any affiliations with MLB or the other Minor Leagues. The Mexican league does its own thing but gets subsidized by MiLB?
Calling the Mexican League a Class-AAA league is really just a way of describing the quality of players. MiLB is bascially saying the Mexican League's players are roughly as good as players in the International League and PCL.

Also MiLB doesn't subsidize its member clubs. It handles administrative poo poo like rules/regulations, licensing, merchandising, and ticketing. It's like a player's agent, only for baseball teams/leagues. The teams themselves are individually owned businesses (unless their affiliated MLB club owns them).

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

remusclaw posted:

What would you say to convince a person who has read a book or two about the game in the 1800's, played the occasional video game, played the actual game very poorly as a kid, and watched the whole 20 something hours that was Ken Burns' Baseball, that Baseball is worth watching? Because I clearly like the concept, but taking the time to actually watch games is something I just can't seem to do.

I'm from Wisconsin though I don't live there now so Iv'e got the Brewers, who seem to be notable for having had a good player a few years back who was traded to greener pastures, and the Braves, who were based out of Milwaukee sometime in the past.

I suppose we have Bob Uecker going for us.

Bob is great for the casual baseball fan because he weaves in an out between calling the action on the game and just telling fun/goofy stories. In fact, since you live outside Wisconsin you could get MLB.tv and watch them that way. The best part is you can overlay radio broadcasts on the video. Goons set up account sharing groups every year, so you could hop in on one for less than $30 (although I don't know if many groups are forming at this point).

I'd say the #1 key to getting actively interested in watching is to understand the strategy of an at-bat. It sounds complicated, but it doesn't have to be. Color analysts on TV broadcasts are there mainly to explain stuff like this, so they're a good place to start. Bill Schroeder (a former Brewers catcher) is the color guy on Brewers TV and is pretty good.

remusclaw posted:

Well poo poo. Shows what I know. Was born in Green Bay so I was kind of in a Football family. Next thing someone will tell the Buck's are good now.

The Bucks are good now. Seriously. Look up Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Abel Wingnut posted:

so what happens here? they just drop a ball near where the ball originally stopped?

You can place the ball at its original lie without penalty.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Miz Kriss posted:

Ok, so this was debated in the gif thread a while back, but I'm still a bit confused.

Let's say the pitcher throws the ball and it completely misses the catcher and gets behind him. What makes it a wild pitch or a missed catch?

It's basically a blame game. A passed ball is called when the pitch is one that a catcher shouldn't have any issue catching normally. If the pitch is so off target that it just goes past the catcher, it's almost definitely a wild pitch.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Twenty Four posted:

That poor kid I hope they gave him another ball or something.

Actually it would be the most Mets thing ever if they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

exploded mummy posted:

Th e most Mets thing ever was buying a contract out and and replacing it with a deferred contract so they could take the money they would have spent and invested it a ponzi scheme instead.

Yes, but you can also reach a kid that life is nothing but a series of disappointments, especially when you're a Mets fan.

• Locked thread