Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That is correct. If you don't actually get to finish batting you get neither a PA or an AB, and your average (AB dependent) and OBP (PA dependent) aren't changed.

So, a caught stealing ending the inning won't sink your OBP, and a pitcher balk won't raise it. In both cases, you weren't finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Here's my variation of the question: if your PA is cut off by someone getting caught and ending the inning, do you start again on the next inning or the next in the order? Because an out was recorded, but it wasn't your out.

This is the kind of event I've seen dozens of times, but I've never bothered to keep track of the order.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I dislike the DH because the pitcher dinger is the closest baseball has to the goalie goal, but also because it seems like it sometimes gives relievers a chance to play another inning while on an NL team they might be pulled for the night for a pinch hitter.

I have no evidence to support this and would be interested in real research, but because of the above it seems like NL teams thus would blow through their benches faster. And the whole "not enough mans, let's just start asking people to play positions outside of their comfort zone and hope for the best" desperation of a manger running out of reserves is one of the greater infrequently-seen moments of baseball.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 6, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Shiroc posted:

How many truly great DHs have there been? Offhand I can think of Frank Thomas, Ortiz and Edgar. In a hypothetical where your pitchers could give league average hitting, would you still want a DH?

Yes? You can get league average hitters at DH, and then a pitcher doesn't have to do extra physical work and have less exposure to injury.

It's just that that's boring, pitcher injuries from hitting are rare enough as it is to not be worried over (though it does happen, sometimes in the dumbest ways; Santiago Casilla injured himself by actually trying to get a base hit after he was explicitly instructed to strike out.)

• Locked thread