Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shadok posted:

Nobody gets balks. A few years ago a SBNation writer paraphrased the official rules thusly:

Both times I've sat down with baseball newbies to watch/explain a game on TV, there's been a balk. They look at me and I just say "That's called a balk, all of the runners advance. Nobody knows what a balk actually is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

canadianclassic posted:

Starlin Castro has been hitting 4th for the yankees and hasn't been terrible, although judge is a more stereotypical cleanup guy

Also Sanchez is batting second.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grittybeard posted:

Haha, of course there would be a team doing exactly that with catcher/2b right now and I didn't know about it. I assume they aren't batting the pitcher first at least.

The 2017 Yankees: Outlandish Mavericks!

It's a weird time to be alive.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
No individual statline will be predictive, but you can look at career numbers and at least take an educated guess as to how a guy will do in the next season.

Of course, then you can be hilariously wrong when they go straight off a cliff like Albert Pujols and Mark Teixeira and A-Rod.

The only stuff that's "predictive" are things like ERA v FIP or xStats v actual stats. And even then you're usually just trying to kind of make an over/under bet rather than setting a real number.

Personally I think wRC+ for offense, ERA (still, really) for pitchers, and WAR for both overall are the best "shorthand" stats for how well somebody has done. For pitchers it's tougher because people define their success differently in different cases.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

cis autodrag posted:

OK, Rick is a man with one superpower. If he gets in base, he will always steal second and then third on the first two pitches that the batter takes. He can never be thrown out because magic.

If Rick hits at a league average clip, where do you put him in your lineup and what so you have the guy after him do when he gets in?

I'm thinking Rick should hit leadoff and the number 2 guy should just always take the first two pitches from the pitcher regardless if hittabilty, balls and stories, etc. Advancing a runner two bases off an at bat is inherently better odds than the randomness that comes in whenever you make contact.

The only edge case I can think of is if there's already two outs and we take two strikes to advance Rick a lot of the value is lost.

He has to bat leadoff. Then maybe you actually have a crappier hitter in the 2 spot because you know he's almost always going to end up in a 0-2 count but you're also guaranteed to have a guy on third for your 3 hitter?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Not only do I agree with that, but we also need fractional errors.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Twenty Four posted:

Counterpoint: as someone who has scored runs and stepped on home plate, it exists.

The home plate you stepped on was a fraud, a disgusting, grotesque imitation of what should be there.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Elizabeth Mills posted:

So we are now 10 years into Pitch/fx data, and there's still no movement on computerized balls and strikes yet, right? It wouldn't even mean less ump jobs, you'd still need someone behind home plate for handing out new balls and making safe/out calls at home and such, but I wonder...

Do players want a perfectly fair and exact strike zone? If Blustery Idiot ump is giving you an extra foot on the left side, wouldn't you want that as a pitcher? If you're being paid for your pitch-framing skills as a catcher, wouldn't you hate having that skill essentially eliminated from your skill set?

Still, I can't help but think "getting the call right" remains the most important thing.

Yeah, I don't think most of baseball is as into the idea of a robo-ump as a vocal subset of fans make out. I saw an idea for an augmented-reality setup for the home plate ump that would display the zone for them which I think could be cool and would probably get some traction.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

I feel like players and fans would be much much prefer seeing a system in place that removes umpires that are consistently bad at their jobs. I don't mean missing a ball/strike call or safe/out call X number of times necessarily but just the unanimously hated umpires. Even if it wouldn't change all that much I think fans would have a lot less to gripe about.

Theoretically they should already be doing this, it's just that the head of the union is one of the hated guys.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

MLB is in a weird space with Pitch F/X and broadcast strike zone boxes. Either the strike zone is an empirical fact rooted in fixed physical space or it is a term of art open to the interpretation of the umpires, but the broadcast gives us both at the same time and it's making everyone nuts.

Oh the other thing is the in-broadcast zones are always wrong.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Bear with me since I only started really understanding baseball a few years ago, but I've never understood why people like the idea of a designated hitter. It hides a guy in the field and protects a pitcher who can't bat. Why would you want to discourage all-round skills?

No pitchers can bat. They are uniformly terrible, even everybody's favorite MadBum. Their plate appearances are boring at best, and season-ruining at worst, just ask Jimmy Nelson.

That said, production from the DH spot on AL rosters has been dreadful the last couple of seasons, too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I like the DH but also don't have any problem with it not being in both leagues, but when people pretend that AL pitchers "don't know how to hit" with the implication that NL pitchers do, it's infuriating. Modern pitchers are bad hitters, and not having the DH doesn't change that.

EDIT: Not even just modern pitchers. Pitchers in general.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Originally I was going to say Tony because it would mean less guys in scoring position overall probably, but I think it's Rick because even in addition to the deterrence aspect and all that, you're talking about for-sure, 100% outs with him.

• Locked thread